UGS-muse preamp GB

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello PsykoK, very nice of you for joining in and accepting to help us with the components group buy. The amount of money that we can spare is not to be neglected and what I can say at this time is that I am in. Hope the others will realize too that if we buy as a group can bring big benefits to all of us and join this gb.
Thanks again for your efforts.
Thanks schultzsch to become a part of the components GB all ready managed from a cpl of weeks by Psykok.
Psykok if you need.. i can help

Last edited:
Did you look to this one...better for the money, 1 € less by unit for 100
EC2-5NU

To be completely honest, I didn't tried to search parts with lowest cost in mind.
The BOM just reflects my personal preference when choosing a mfr for a given part (i.e. for the relays my 1st choice is Panasonic then 2nd Omron).
I do accept that I could be wrong with these choices, anyway as I said, these BOMs just contain the parts I am using or would personally use.
Hence consider these as they are and feel free to choose your own parts that best meet your preference or cost objective.

To be completely honest, I didn't tried to search parts with lowest cost in mind.
The BOM just reflects my personal preference when choosing a mfr for a given part (i.e. for the relays my 1st choice is Panasonic then 2nd Omron).
I do accept that I could be wrong with these choices, anyway as I said, these BOMs just contain the parts I am using or would personally use.
Hence consider these as they are and feel free to choose your own parts that best meet your preference or cost objective.

i am building my second preamp.
and this time i want to use also the best parts for this build
i understand if somebody wants to safe money, but i think such build needs the best parts present.
there will be ono other chance to make this preamp...

Regarding the relays, I'm sure there are all kinds of suitable candidates out there. Seeing as you need 26 of them, they are a non-trivial cost component of the preamp.

Kind of a left field question for Alex or Eric: would it be possible to modify the preamp to configure the 2nd set of outputs as a monitor (tape) output instead of a preamp output. Just to be clear, I wouldn't expect a board redesign; just a modification that I would do to my own personal preamp. Looking at the schematics and PCBs, it seems doable. I like to connect a headphone amp to my current preamp (and its predecessors) in this manner. I would think it would just be a connection to the input busses of the preamp, with no connections to the outputs.

Kind of a left field question for Alex or Eric: would it be possible to modify the preamp to configure the 2nd set of outputs as a monitor (tape) output instead of a preamp output. Just to be clear, I wouldn't expect a board redesign; just a modification that I would do to my own personal preamp. Looking at the schematics and PCBs, it seems doable. I like to connect a headphone amp to my current preamp (and its predecessors) in this manner. I would think it would just be a connection to the input busses of the preamp, with no connections to the outputs.
Not sure I completely understand the connectivity scheme you like to see.
Is it ?:

Input >> volume ctrl +UGS modules >> Output1
and
Input >> Output2 (equivalent to bypass operation)
with Output1 and Output2 operating simultaneously from the same input.

Not sure I completely understand the connectivity scheme you like to see.
Is it ?:

Input >> volume ctrl +UGS modules >> Output1
and
Input >> Output2 (equivalent to bypass operation)
with Output1 and Output2 operating simultaneously from the same input.

Yes, basically. Normally when I use headphones with my current Pass Aleph P preamp, the HPA is connected to the monitor out on the preamp, which does not go thru the amp section or attenuator itself. Volume on the preamp is down all the way so no sound thru speakers. Bypass or monitor output is what I am looking for.

i am building my second preamp.
and this time i want to use also the best parts for this build
i understand if somebody wants to safe money, but i think such build needs the best parts present.
there will be ono other chance to make this preamp...

I completely agree on that, the best parts should be selected without going too crazy.
Siemens, omron are very good relay providers. With the number of items we should have in the GB, we will get them for something around 2€.

Yes, basically. Normally when I use headphones with my current Pass Aleph P preamp, the HPA is connected to the monitor out on the preamp, which does not go thru the amp section or attenuator itself. Volume on the preamp is down all the way so no sound thru speakers. Bypass or monitor output is what I am looking for.
I will leave this to Alex since my controller board is still the prototype version with single display capability using an old firmware not fully featured (the newest firmware won't run on my setup) but I wonder if you cannot already define 2 configs for inputs and outputs to achieve what you are looking for (or close to it) since bypass and output selection are already supported.
There is the menu operation in French (from HCFR):
Menu - UGS _ Muse edition - control.pdf - Google Drive
I don't recall if an English version was made.

I have been thinking to use for the project transformers from Toroidy.
They have 2 interesting models that can suit our project: audio grade and supreme.
I have sent them an email telling about my interest and also the potential interest from here asking if there is possible any discount if we buy more units.
I have considered that for a preamp we will need 1x9v trafo and 2x 22v trafos each of them with dual secondaries. As VA ratings I have considered 30va and 40va.
My idea was to gather 20 persons here that would want to buy a set of audio grade or supreme trafos so we get to a total of 60pcs and each of us will do the order directly to them so we don’t have to send the trafos to a person and this person redistribute them to the others. I also have told them that a part of us are from europe and the other from the usa.
After sending the email Tomasz replied shortly to me saying that if we order a total of 60pcs(audio grade and supreme) we can get a discount coupon that each of us can use to get a 5% discount on the order but this is valid only from the people living in europe.

Here are the prices for which we will get 5% discount:

Audio grade (potted interior + neoprene mounting pad included):

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 23,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 23,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 24,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 24,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

Supreme version (potted in the stainless steel box):

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 64,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 64,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 65,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 65,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

Supreme version + side wiring plate:

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 73,50 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 73,50 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 74,60 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 74,60 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

You can find pictures of the transformers here: https://sklep.toroidy.pl/userdata/public/assets//Transformers grade comparision.jpg

What do you think about this?

They have 2 interesting models that can suit our project: audio grade and supreme.
I have sent them an email telling about my interest and also the potential interest from here asking if there is possible any discount if we buy more units.
I have considered that for a preamp we will need 1x9v trafo and 2x 22v trafos each of them with dual secondaries. As VA ratings I have considered 30va and 40va.
My idea was to gather 20 persons here that would want to buy a set of audio grade or supreme trafos so we get to a total of 60pcs and each of us will do the order directly to them so we don’t have to send the trafos to a person and this person redistribute them to the others. I also have told them that a part of us are from europe and the other from the usa.
After sending the email Tomasz replied shortly to me saying that if we order a total of 60pcs(audio grade and supreme) we can get a discount coupon that each of us can use to get a 5% discount on the order but this is valid only from the people living in europe.

Here are the prices for which we will get 5% discount:

Audio grade (potted interior + neoprene mounting pad included):

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 23,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 23,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 24,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 24,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

Supreme version (potted in the stainless steel box):

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 64,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 64,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 65,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 65,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

Supreme version + side wiring plate:

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 73,50 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 73,50 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 74,60 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 74,60 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

You can find pictures of the transformers here: https://sklep.toroidy.pl/userdata/public/assets//Transformers grade comparision.jpg

i think i would be IN with that order...
thx

Hi Schultzch,
Good initiative.

Just a bit of warning, I would recommend you go for 2x24V instead of 2x22V if you are using the Salas Shunt regulators
Reason is 22V would yield approximately 28V under nominal conditions at the regulator input whereas Salas recommend at least 5V or higher than your Vout targets.