UFO's- Please help me process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely, yes. Impossible, no.

It was thought to be theoretically impossible to for an object to travel at superluminal velocity - that is - until Miguel Alcubierre published his now famous 'Warp Drive' paper (yes, exactly like in Star Trek) showing how that was actually possible in theory to do so, while not violating Einstein's light speed limit. In short, space itself is moved (warped). Not only did he show it was "possible", but that the velocity could be arbitrarily fast 100C, 1,000C or faster still. I recall reading that the universe (space) is presently expanding at a rate faster than the speed of light. Just because it's not yet practical for us to do, doesn't mean that it's not yet practical for someone else to do. Where might our own technical capabilities advance in only 10K years?

The amount of energy required would have to be astronomical. I’m not sure even a matter-antimatter reaction would be enough to even scratch the surface. Exactly HOW many zeros would you need to add to those 1.21 GW? A lot I’m guessing. The question is whether humans can be trusted with that kind of power. What would we do with it first? Same thing we did with basic nuclear fission of course. Only the results would take out a lot more than two Japanese cities. Until people can just get over themselves and quit fighting, warp drive can never happen.

If aliens ever did visit Earth, they would have long since solved THAT problem or they would never have gotten that far. Bombing yourself back to the Stone Age doesn’t exactly help technology progress.

"UFO" by definition is *anything* which is unidentified and flies, forexample it perfectly describes Colombian coke transport planes, Military stealth planes,some drones,etc. NONE ofwhich need an extra terrestrial origin to exist.

There "might" be something coming from our own Solar System just based on distances involved and available time, but as Nigel says anything truly interstellar (even from Proxima Centauri) is many light years away and "not worth the trip".

To boot I find ridiculous the size quoted for UFOS compared to the distances they "should" travel.
Would Christopher Columbus have discovered America swimming across the Atlantic floating thanks to a life saving jacket?
Would somebody fly star to star in plane sized object?

If anything, absolute minimum would be a "mile long spaceship".

“I want to believe so badly in a truth beyond our own.”
Fox Mulder.

Anyone with > room temperature IQ and Google at their fingertips can find a wealth of debunking literature (hard science / psychology / historical revisionism exposés) for just about any of the bogus claims cited here and the whole ridiculous field of ufology in general, if they really want to. Citing any such literature amongst believers is not only a pointless act of charity, but an unwelcome one too.

I recall reading that the universe (space) is presently expanding at a rate faster than the speed of light.
The restriction that nothing can travel faster than light only applies to the motion of material objects through space.

The rate at which space itself expands has no physical bounds on its upper limit.

The Universe is expanding, but the expansion doesn't have a speed; it has a speed-per-unit-distance which is equivalent to an inverse time. (v = d/t, so v/d = 1/t).

If you take the inverse of the expansion rate, you can calculate the "time" of the expansion of the Universe. The answer is approximately 13.8 billion years, which just happens to be the age of the Universe.

Ask Ethan: How Does The Fabric Of Spacetime Expand Faster Than The Speed Of Light?

"UFO" by definition is *anything* which is unidentified and flies, forexample it perfectly describes Colombian coke transport planes, Military stealth planes,some drones,etc. NONE ofwhich need an extra terrestrial origin to exist.

There "might" be something coming from our own Solar System just based on distances involved and available time, but as Nigel says anything truly interstellar (even from Proxima Centauri) is many light years away and "not worth the trip".

To boot I find ridiculous the size quoted for UFOS compared to the distances they "should" travel.
Would Christopher Columbus have discovered America swimming across the Atlantic floating thanks to a life saving jacket?
Would somebody fly star to star in plane sized object?

If anything, absolute minimum would be a "mile long spaceship".
They might be very small, duh ;) They might not be from outer space.

“I want to believe so badly in a truth beyond our own.”
Fox Mulder.

Anyone with > room temperature IQ and Google at their fingertips can find a wealth of debunking literature (hard science / psychology / historical revisionism exposés) for just about any of the bogus claims cited here and the whole ridiculous field of ufology in general, if they really want to. Citing any such literature amongst believers is not only a pointless act of charity, but an unwelcome one too.

A little cynical but fair enough.

I don't see a single video that is "blowing my mind."

But there are some very compelling unknowns going on here:
I find the pilots testimony credible and believe they believe what they see.
Why on earth is a former Director of Intelligence weighing in on this? I also believe he is credible and he believes the pilots.

And finally, if this is a ruse, it is a whopper and it's been going on a long time., which I have a hard time believing.

A rational perspective by you. I think that there is little doubt, now, that the vehicles exist. The bigger questions is, who is piloting/controlling them? The alien possibility is what trips up discussion. However, whatever the answer about the intelligences responsible for them, the vehicles represent not merely a radical advancement in technology, but a radically, radical advancement by someone.

Since the vehicles, and their unbelievable flight dynamics, have been reported over the better part of a century now, it seems unlikely to me that their technology has a purely human origin.

This won't address your main point, but I just have to say this because it just annoys the hell out of me.

My frustration is that NOTHING should never trip up any scientific conversation. Ever. The whole point of the scientific method is to remove emotion, bias, and opinion from the equation.

Any UFO should be treated like a true unidentified flying object. It could be a bird, a plane, aliens, some interdimensional rip in time and space, or a flying sasquatch. Everything should be on the table.

Then you should look at all the evidence, come up with theories, see if the theory fits the data or not. Eliminate everything the object can't be and what you are left with must be the answer.

It pisses me off when I hear anyone discredit any potential explanation based on "physics" or "science". Physics is merely a culminations of models we derived from our observations of the universe. Just because we have not observed a form of interstellar travel does not mean it exists. All it means is that if you are betting on what a given UFO is, you probably shouldn't bet on interstellar aliens.

My response to any of these kinds of threads is real simple.

Is it likely that these videos are depicting alien spaceships? : Probably not.

Is it impossible that these videos are depicting alien spaceships? : More data is needed.

Why on earth is a former Director of Intelligence weighing in on this?

Because he is a sociopathic **** and the all of the attention he is receiving matters more to his ego than some ridicule from outside of his posse?
Of course a defect in personality or some psychological issues might be considered by some to be a less plausible explanation than the little green men one.

An article was published years ago on why advanced beings that can travel faster than light would have very little reason to visit earth. Only reason why they would visit us would be for cultural curiosity. If raw material is needed, they can mine it from planets closer to them. Given their technological advancement, they can probably observe us (our radio signals or visual observation like we currently do on exoplanets but at more advanced level) from where they are or already have. So there it is, one hypothesis.

A little cynical but fair enough.

I don't see a single video that is "blowing my mind."

But there are some very compelling unknowns going on here:
I find the pilots testimony credible and believe they believe what they see.
Why on earth is a former Director of Intelligence weighing in on this? I also believe he is credible and he believes the pilots.

And finally, if this is a ruse, it is a whopper and it's been going on a long time., which I have a hard time believing.

Yeah...that's right, the military establishment, much like our politicians are totally truthful...by the way, would you be interested in buying a bridge, I'll sell you one real cheap!

Mike

I have followed UFO's since 1974, and still do. I did see fast moving objects. What's new since? It is the space around the earth which is populated by [spy] satellites. The Navy pilots' credible sightings may be an example of future wars/games at play. Our adversaries will be helpless like our top notch pilots in an actual engagement; without firing a single shot.

Quantum.

There is one law broken , speed of light. Only in communications.

Would only need to extend this broken rule to matter.
I'm sure many of the inhabitants of the 50 million suns with metal rich
and similar mass stars (smaller orange drawfs ....not red's) , would have
up to 10B years of evolution. They would not only be able to create black holes
but be able to "rewrite'" the laws of physics at will.

PS- orange dwarf 60-70% of our sun would be slightly more convective
but very stable. It's life span would be 20-30 billion years. It would be
much less likely to have CME's , any planets would be happy for 10's
of billions of years. All reds and many oranges are almost as old as the universe.
Our yellow is rare.

OS

Okay I’ll bite; debunk the 1952 Washington DC flyover. Or perhaps the Ariel school encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.