UcD400 Q & A

Hi,

You probably own a more recent version of the HG supply which doesn't need the modification. If you want to be sure just let me know the version you have there.

If you're planning on taking your UcD400's to the next level you might consider trying the HxR regulators although it might be a bit complex to fit them on the UcD400 board.

Supplying the an-board opamp would require an extra transformer indeed. If available, you might use the second set of secondary windings on your current transformer.

Jorrit
Hypex Electronics

Thanks for your reply, Jorrit.
I may not be able to get into my amp till the weekend to check the version of my HG supply. When I do, I'll let you know.

I'm interested in the HxR regulators to take my amp to the next level. Will you have more detailed instructions of how to fit them to my amp module versions? When I saw them on the Hypex website, I thought the pdf document said that it is only for the HG modules.

I also understand that the current HG modules uses the LM4562 opamp. I know it is a matter of preference, but do you think replacing the opamp on my amp modules to the LM4562 will be an improvement?

Grateful for your advice.

The HG modules are designed to easily fit the HxR regulators. But the regulators are in fact pin-compatible with the common 7812/7912 regulators and can be used as such.

It's really not easy to fit the HxR regulators in the UcD400ST. It involves some trace-cutting and some component changes. If you're really interested I could give you some schematics and info by email.

The easiest upgrade would be to try a different opamp indeed ;)

Jorrit

Jorrit,
Yes, I would be really interested in fitting the HxR regulators to my UcD400AD modules (not ST). Please send the info to me at tay_kg@hotmail.com

As for the opamp change to the LM4562, I read that many people tried a SST511 CRD on the positive (and on the negative rail for the AD8620). It looks like these SST511s or J511s are no longer available. Do you know of a good equivalent to try? I'm not sure if the lower current J510 is suitable?

Back to the question of connecting the HG supply aux voltage to the UcD400, I've checked and printed on my HG Supply is "Ucd-Supply-HG-V2 18/04/05". Is this the newer version you were talking about?

Once again, thanks for your help.

KG

francisr6 said:
Hi.

Sending a mail to support is the first thing i did last week (but it was saturday morning). I got a first answer this morning that asked me the serial nums to verify that the modules sent to us were the last generation. I send them some minutes later and hope to have something new tomorrow.

I really appreciate your help that avoids me to feel too "Alone".

Thanks a lot.

I understood where i was wrong and want to post it in order to avoid somebody else to do the same:

T38 and T39 were mounted on the same heat dissipator that connected them together. Replacing this dissipator by 2 one for T38 and one for T39 solves the problem.

Hot Voltage regulators & SMPS

Wondered if anyone else using the UCD400 HG HXR with SMPS 400/67 had notice the two IC's which i presume are voltage regulators on the UCD board get extreeml hot! When i say hot i mean you can feel alot of heat rising from them and i would presume impossible to touch (i havent tried), unfortunatley i dont have a suitable temp probe to measure the actual temp. Should these be fitted with small individual heat sinks for durability reasons??

Thanks

I have no heat issue at all with 1 smps180 powering 2 ucd180 in a 40mm enclosure.
The output coil should be the hottest part.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm going to stuff one UCD400HG and two UCD180HG's in one chassis for a monoblock. This is going to be used for a 3-way project.

What do you think, should I have separate 30-0-30 VAC (for the 180's) and 40-0-40VAC transformers (for the 400), or would a big, chunky 30-0-30v do fine with separate bridge rectifiers & caps for the 180's and the 400?

The capacitors used are going to be of good quality. Got a bunch of big 10,000uF Sikorels here..

Another gain question for JP or Bruno

One for JP or Bruno I think.

I am using a Ucd400 with a SMPS400/67 installed as a "plate amp" in my Schroeder 1210 bass cab for live work. :eek: The sound is fantastic but I can't seem to get the output I would expect from this amp without causing my EBS MicroBass preamp to overload. I would like to increase the gain of my UcD400 slightly if possible to see if this solves my problem.
After trawling through the posts here, I found a reference to this:

Resistor R3 (value 560), straight to the small side of the OPA2134/AD8620.

The gain is now 26dB, when you decrease R3 the gain will increase.

Regards,

Jan-Peter

I have had a look at my UcD400, but there is no OPA2134/AD8620 on the board - R3 is near a N5532 and seems to be 1.2k (marked 1201).
The board has UcD400v8 silk-screened on it and the sticker is marked 06091204-0095 so I would guess this is a newer version.

JP - can you tell me what I need to change to get the gain up to about 30?

Thanks
Steve

Joined 2009
Paid Member
dealing with reverse current flow

Hi guys,
On the Hypex FAQ (at http://www.diyclassd.com) I have seen an entry regarding "supply pumping" due to transient reverse current flows?!
For my UcD180HG HxR modules I am planning to test a regulated high current series supply. This supply type does not support reverse currents and I was wondering what type and size of the supply caps I need to deal with these reverse currents. I guess that also SMPS do not accept reverse currents - still they seem to work quite nicely with the Hypex modules.
Thank you,
Nic

I am planning to build Hypex UcD400 amps for a line source system and wonder:

To what extent will I benefit from using HG-modules with voltage regulators instead of ST-modules in the frequency ranges 15-100Hz and 100-500Hz?

How well will the UcD400 do with 3 or 4 8ohm woofers (6.5") in parallell? If I give them such a difficult load, should each have a separate PSU and will the SMPS do equally well as or better thatn the linear PSUs?