Turntable speed stabilty

@luckythedog: I believe this is my best running MK3.

Dropbox - MK3_NE0AF10025_XG-7001_WF.wav
Here's the polar plot for that file, JP, an SL-1200 MkIII.

2 revolutions, starting at 10s in the file.

It is, once again, near as good as it gets, perhaps. The pick of a very good bunch. If one is super-critical, there's a slight flattening near 5 o'clock - similar events cropped up in the other files IIRC, so perhaps the test record is implicated ?

Again, the green inset spectrum auto-scales so only useful for pointers as to causes of variation, not how big they are in absolute terms.

All very good - what was the cart/arm for this one, JP ?

LD

Attachments

• JPWF4.jpg
    JPWF4.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 198
LD - That noise file is brutal, I don't how that bad of an SNR would apply except in some other scientific fields. Here is a plot of a 20dB SNR pink noise which is already unlistenable. So there's a difference, I posted yesterday a plot that showed filtering out the low frequency noise on a real data set made no detectable difference,

The glitch remains annoying, I'm sure there is a way to smooth the start of the IIR filter.

Attachments

• pplot.jpg
    pplot.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 192
LD - That noise file is brutal, I don't how that bad of an SNR would apply except in some other scientific fields.
Yes, it's insanely unrealistic - I was exploring performance of the detector from the point of view of finding the threshold at which noise became significant. Attached is an archive polar plot for that file that also shows an inset with the spectrum of the synthesised test file. Brutal......

As you say, baseband noise rejection performance is such that one can be confident the detector is accurate and noise free in any real playback situation.

A consequence is that click rejection is excellent, as you've also found.

I posted yesterday a plot that showed filtering out the low frequency noise on a real data set made no detectable difference.......
Yes, I use no filtering and there's no compromise - just use raw data.

The glitch remains annoying, I'm sure there is a way to smooth the start of the IIR filter.
An accurate result should obtain from the first data slice, subject to smoothing...... otherwise just start the display plot slightly later..... ?(!)

All good stuff !

LD

Attachments

• calibnoise.jpg
    calibnoise.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 192
A consequence is that click rejection is excellent, as you've also found.
Yes, I use no filtering and there's no compromise - just use raw data.
LD

Yes, I was referring yesterday to the noise in a real data file while using the Hilbert transform, since this method uses the entire waveform the answer degrades fast at poor SNR but no real LP should even get close. For the same reason the output has noise at the full 48K BW so post filtering is necessary, though I do make the assumption that this just works. The graph orientation is now correct and a repeat on that file now matches very well. Any idea what the effective BW is of the displayed data?

I will simply take 2 seconds of data and trim .1sec off each end. It will remain simple (with a little care) to keep multiple revolutions abbuting. In general I would think there could be a small discontinuity due to DC drift of speed but I don't see it in your plots (maybe it's too small).

I should finish tomorrow and will put up a .pdf.

Last edited:
Here's the polar plot for that file, JP, an SL-1200 MkIII.

2 revolutions, starting at 10s in the file.

It is, once again, near as good as it gets, perhaps. The pick of a very good bunch. If one is super-critical, there's a slight flattening near 5 o'clock - similar events cropped up in the other files IIRC, so perhaps the test record is implicated ?

Again, the green inset spectrum auto-scales so only useful for pointers as to causes of variation, not how big they are in absolute terms.

All very good - what was the cart/arm for this one, JP ?

LD

Could be - it's the same test record for all of them. This is another SP-10 MK3 with the same B500/A505 arm, though with a P205CMK4 cartridge.

If one is super-critical, there's a slight flattening near 5 o'clock - similar events cropped up in the other files IIRC, so perhaps the test record is implicated ?

LD
Realtime analysis would allow the test record to be rotated a little to see if the wobble moves. Make the software run on a Pi and it could be used to trigger a strobe light to mark 0 degrees

Test records are going to become very valuable

OK, couldn't stop. I decided to all the revolutions at once and just pad the beginning to eliminate the glitch. Compare to post #346, scarey close.

BTW it is confusing as you advance into the file the plots move counterclockwise.

Attachments

• pplot.jpg
    pplot.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Coming late to the party, but I'd like to show some measurements in this context with the Adjust+ test system.

It indeed looks horrible compared to what we normally see from an electronic component!

Jan

Attachments

• speed variation kuzma.png
    speed variation kuzma.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 184
  • speed histogram.png
    speed histogram.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 92
  • wow&flutter.png
    wow&flutter.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 90
Coming late to the party, but I'd like to show some measurements in this context with the Adjust+ test system.

It indeed looks horrible compared to what we normally see from an electronic component!

Jan

The conversion between the two displays is pretty easy, it might be easier to eyeball the off center component from the polar display. If you could sync the platter to display the offset would convert directly to mm and direction.

Last edited:
There is some great work happening here, keep it coming!

@luckythedog: I believe this is my best running MK3.

Dropbox - MK3_NE0AF10025_XG-7001_WF.wav

Hope no one minds but I processed the above sound file using the software I was given by the guy who used it on the Pink Fish Media Thread – see http://http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70027.

The polar plot does not give absolute values but as the software exaggerates any errors, such are readily apparent. The two FFT plots are, with respect to frequency, absolute values. The FFT Demodulated one was of particular use in sorting my Lenco out. I have also added an Audacity FFT plot of the sound file.

MK3_NE0AF10025_XG-7001_WF Polar.png

MK3_NE0AF10025_XG-7001_WF FFT Raw.png

MK3_NE0AF10025_XG-7001_WF FFT Demod.png

MK3_NE0AF10025_XG-7001_WF FFT Audacity.png

From my experience the results are very good and it would be hard to better. Only things to note are that the TT is running slightly slow (nominally 2996Hz (-.13%)), there is a slight peak at 16.5 Hz (which is apparent on LD’s FFT plot as well) and the Test LP is very slightly off centre (not a TT failing!!). It would be good to see a PlatterSpeed app result for this TT.

I hope this is of interest.

Regards,

A suggestion.....

Thanks to Scott for taking on this project and sharing his results!

If you plan to share the source code with the public, maybe you could split this off into a separate thread and make it an open source project? People could add to, or modify the program with enhancements, and after the field has tested and approved them, the OP (Scott) could update the first post with the latest (approved) version, so he would have document control of the project.

I mention again that seeing this graphed as a percentage would very nice indeed
Its easy to calculate and display percentage rather than absolute frequency, but should this be against nominal or mean actual value?

I am suspecting that SP10 owners might be actually measuring the cutting lathe and the test record producers signal generator.

Creating accurate test signals in 1975 when HFS75 was released was expensive, these days we just run Audacity.

@davidsrsb, I've around a dozen test records. I'll try to record a few this weekend on the same 'table for comparison.

I used this record for checking TT speed recently for the first time -

download.jpg

It gave a frequency of 2938Hz on a DD TT which did surprise me (it should have been 3000Hz). Cross checking with other test records proved the lower frequency was due to the record and not the TT; I will not be using it again!

Can't wait
I took your old code listing and figured out what is happening. It runs straight away as Python3

Ok here's the code in plain text format, I've commented it and removed any hard dependencies on sampling frequency so any sampling frequency should do the right thing. Also one last plot run on this exact code with file label added (compare to plot in post #346).

@ Pano that's a good idea and it would not be difficult, but a little work to get 3K, 3.15k, and even 1k to work as the base frequency.

Attachments

• polarplot.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 104
  • pplot.jpg
    pplot.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 188
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Its easy to calculate and display percentage rather than absolute frequency, but should this be against nominal or mean actual value?
Good question - for which I don't have a good answer. Your thoughts?

I am suspecting that SP10 owners might be actually measuring the cutting lathe and the test record producers signal generator.
Same thing I was thinking, you beat me to it. :) How good is the lathe and the cutting head, not to mention the generator? How can we know? Fortunately JP may provide the answer below.

@davidsrsb, I've around a dozen test records. I'll try to record a few this weekend on the same 'table for comparison.
A big step in the right direction. How difficult would it be to sort out the table artifacts from the LP artifacts? Anything that appears across all recordings should be TT specific, shouldn't it?
We did a similar test with record wear, George using a Shure cart at the beginning and end of the test run, with a Stanton in between. That worked well.

Ok here's the code in plain text forma
Thank you Scott, that's very tidy and results look excellent.

I'd guess that Python library function performance is, in practical terms here, at least as good as the one I came up with - and certainly more compact from a coding perspective ! So I think this outcome is, pragmatically, far more useful.

Though I doubt my algorithm is original, I'm very happy to see the Python library supporting a function that, in this application, appears to at least match performance. Next time, I'll look there first (!!)

Well done indeed, this takes the art forward !

LD