• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes4HiFi SP14 really noisy!

Joined 2017
Paid Member
It still needs work!

It was super noisy before the top plate was grounded.

With the Cornwalls, the hum is very audible from the other side of the room with no music playing…

The speakers I’ve been using, are around 80db sensitive, so not as big an issue.

It’s an issue with these :(

Where is your chassis ground? I fail to see it. It needs to be one point and 1 point only. It should be on a piece of a large metal panel that preferably holds your main SP14 pcb, and your toroids. Can you show a close up photo of your chassis ground (i.e. star in your drawing?). Why the 2 wires from the top plate to the star? There is only ONE purple ground wire in the original SP14 diagram, not 2. And there is a wire from IEC mounting bolt to the star?

A failing rectifier in this circuit would cause hum in both channels not one. Both channels get their B+ from it. We’ve already gone through the HV B+ supply and filament supply I think.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Ok. So, if I have this right, you are saying that the star ground - which is connected to the earth ground - should only be connected to the chassis at one point? And seeing as how I have three separate pieces of metal in the chassis, that all three pieces of metal should be connected together and then only connect to star from one of the three plates?

Reactions: 1 users
Looking at the first picture, post 3, I see a wooden case, no metal sheet below the pcb.
Maybe you changed this later. Although sometimes preamps can be made without metal
shielding, as reported here also, this is not the usual case. Try to put a grounded magnetic
or even aluminium plate below the pcb as easy first step. Wrote this before seeing your
post 165.

Let’s start with only working on this diagram below and getting it right:

1711153927597.jpeg

Notice there is only ONE purple wire from the PCB. And only one direct connection from the IEC ground terminal to a point on the chassis metal.

Does your green metal plate have the chassis ground connection or is it somewhere else?

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Rear plate, is connected to the iec socket, which is connected to the earth ground via the chassis

Top plate is connected to the star ground via two wires (I added another wire from the far end just now - it made no difference to the hum)

Front plate is connected to star ground via a wire.

You might also try this, though it'd be a pain: Isolate one pair of input jacks, detach them from the chained ground, and run twisted pairs from left and right to the master pot. Then twisted pairs from the pot to the input of the board. Finally twisted pairs from the boardoutput to a pair of isolated output jacks. In my p-to-p build I use all twisted pairs for the signal wiring and I have no hum.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thanks

Yes, I meant rotated :)

I don’t mind trying that at all.

(Making sure auto correct doesn’t change what I’m typing into something that will be difficult to extrapolate from - changed mind to mint - I changed it back)

Not sure I have any decent cables here for that? (Most of the wire I have on hand is heavier gauge for internal speaker runs) I can easily try running a shielded cable from a single set of RCA’s to the volume pot?