• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes4HiFi SP14 really noisy!

Joined 2017
Paid Member
“Proper” power supply caps back in.
IMG_6702.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Here is my attempt at a SP-14 in-process. I used Aliexpress Relay input selector and CPU board with remote, and a small 5v switching supply. The other board is a VU meter driver that I haven't sorted yet. Very quiet for me, I love it with my VTA ST-120 Tube amp....

sp14-3.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Very nice!

I just tried the pre with some more efficient speakers, and the hum is way more noticeable. I’ve been listening to speakers that are about a 3ohm load (likely less), and under 80dB efficient. Put a pair of Coral Holey Baskets (in a Solo 103 enclosure) into my system, and the hum went up a lot.

Think I’m going to drag the Cornwalls out and set them up when I’m listening for hum…

As far as I can see it is an Aikido schematic. I was making an Aikido preamp long time ago, and it had too much voltage gain, so with that comes noise and hum. It was solved using negative feedback, the gain was adjusted to about 10db (3x). It sounds even better that way. I am currently using the Aikido cathode follower, no gain - no pain.

For the maximum PSRR (lowest hum), R10/R11 should be selected according to the tubes used. There are calculations and calculated values for many tubes at Broskie's website.

The B+ regulator seems to me to be some kind of improvisation, maybe that is the cause of the hum, and maybe it is due to the grounding of the device. R22 seems to be too large (1k5), the factory recommends 240ohm (if it is LM317). Instead of everything, I would put the TL783C and modify the connections a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Right channel

IMG_6712.png

Left Channel

IMG_6713.png

I’m using the DIYAydio VFet amp, which as a slight hiss, but I am attributing that to line noise in the house. But it is really quiet. I’m using a pair of Fe126En drivers which are in a Voigt pipe for these measurements.