Tubelab wants a new guitar amp

The 1496 chips that stomp box parts sells have to be at least 25 years old since they say that they are "Motorola" branded. The picture shows a plain black chip. Motorola exited the linear chip and discrete semi market in 1999. The plan was just to kill off the unprofitable division, but a bunch of employees managed to secure some backing and financing, resulting in the formation of On Semiconductor, which did quite well.

These chips could also be knock offs or counterfeits. There are very few active transistors in the MC1496, so it would be easy to make them on even an ancient process in an ancient fab. On Semi still makes the MC1496 in SMD which sells for around $1 at the usual distributors. The DIP chip died, and thus got pricey for a while. When the MC1496 was common, there was at least one other pin compatible chip, but I don't remember it's number.

I have tinkered with ring modulators since the dark ages, and never created anything really musically appealing, so that feature is pretty far down the list. I will likely put all the FX stuff on a separate board mounted and connected in such a way that it can be easily swapped out in the future.

I looked at this link when it was first sent to find that it was a Behringer multi FX Eurorack unit from Sweetwater Sound which is where I got some of my other Behringer stuff and the half price deal on the original Polyend Tracker, so I know that they are a reputable seller. After some consideration, the old words of Nancy Regan popped into my head, and I just said no. That was last Sunday.

I'm sure that some PHD marketing expert has determined the proper delay required before tossing a better worm in front of the fish, and today I get an email from Ebay offering me an "exclusive" $10 discount "for a limited time." I would rather have a Strymon Big Sky, but at $690, there is no F-in way! We will see what $69 gets. Paypal was sent.
After a major cluster **** with the USPS and a lying mailman, I got my Space FX reverb module. I have not fired it up yet.

For those interested in an old school hardware tracker type sequencer / synthesizer, Sweetwater has put the original Polyend tracker back on a nearly half price sale. Only the black version is on sale, the same unit in silver is still 4700.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search?s=polyend+tracker

To get a glimpse into another person's view of our mailman, I posted pictures of what they wrote on the box in post #94 here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/usps-shipping-mess.394989/page-5

A fellow player from the open mic gave me one of these yesterday. Apparently, it's two channel.

1715275954364.png

He has a 2nd one that he made into a guitar amp. From what I could see, he eliminated all the tube sox in the front row and the small OPT (2nd from left) and has the back row populated. Story was some place up in Seattle years ago now, was having a liquidation organ sale and he rented a truck to load up, then a storage unit. This piece was the last of it. He's got a mint B3 in his living room, with matching Leslie, which might have been a 31A as it was tall.

I noticed when I lifted this out of the trunk, the rear end of the Honda Civic visibly moved upward. The fellow in the ebay listing I stole this picture from wants $120 just to ship.... The fellow who gave this to me put his on a tool cart, to roll it out toward the garage door where we could see better. My body notices, when I pick it up, which takes both hands.

The terminal strip atop is labeled "Low-G-High".

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed when I lifted this out of the trunk, the rear end of the Honda Civic visibly moved upward.
That's pretty much why my fifty watt tube combo stays at home now. Taking that to the car, moving it in and out of the trunk..nope my back and shoulders have been too messed up for those fun and games. Physiotherapy is expensive and a long time to recover! Cheers!