TT drive belt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
woodturner-fran said:

Looks like you are on your way....

Hi Fran

I found a 160VA 220 - 110v TX and decided to try it.

I just hooked the TT to the 110v winding, without any resisors.

As a matter of fact, the TT motor and cap+resistor are stock.:D

I am really amazed by the results:

The platter needs some pushing during startup but reaches 33rpm in less than 1 minute.

The mottor is now inaudible (I tried to hear it without lowering the pickup)

The benefits are a lower noise floor, better detail retrieval (now I hear high freq souns I did not realyse where there) and a better instrument diferentiation.

The TX gets hot so I believe this setup is not very echo...

Nevertheless the results are so good that I am planning to get a bigger TX (Toroid) and build a propper case.

is it possible to avoid the resistor just by choosing a 220 - 70v TX ?

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz....

I know I'm not woodturner-fran, but....

What I would recommend is to adjust the resistor(s) until you get a nice combination of "start-up" time and reduced motor noise. You can always bypass the resistor for startup (perhaps with a momentary switch?).

There will be a "magic spot" where the motor noise is essentially the quietest, but it may not be at 70 volts. Once determined what the "magic number is" then shoot for a toroid with a similar (or slightly higher voltage) and use a minimum resistance to drop the voltage down to the final requirement.

stew

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: balance things with your modded CD53?

Nanook said:
I don't think so. The analog rig should absolutely kill your cd player....

Hi Stew

I believe it is possible but not very easy.

My CDP has two clocks, 6 TX, 10 independent PSU´s 10 sregs and a jfet output stage.

It sounds so amazing that I really must do a carefull job on the RIAA so to get things even.

Maybe my SME3009 is not the best option for the Benz ACE I am using.... The mid and high freq are unbeatable but the bass needs some tightening.

Regards

Ricardo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.