TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Hi amigos,

I forgot to ask, can someone give an amazon link for the right JST connectors for my TPA3251 board. I ignore the size...

I need a 3 pins + 2 pins

$_57.JPG

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello,

I’m looking into building an amplifier based upon a TPA3255. Would following the schematic in the TI datasheet for this chip in section 10.2.1 on page 22 yield a decent stereo amplifier while adhering to the design practices mentioned? Or should I look for a different design for this chip?

And to power it I would make a 50v linear supply? Any thoughts?

Thanks

You should go with a 48v 800w SMPS designed for LED lighting. A linear supply makes no sense - big and heavy, and no advantages - plus, you will get hum if you do not filter it well. Disable the fan on those SMPS, the native heatsink is enough for the load from a TPA3255 without a fan. More info on how I did the SMPS PSU here:
TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB

i also tried lead acid gel cell driving a DC-DC step up - that is great too. You can trickle charge the battery.

I have tried this combo and it lets the amp reach its 60uV noise floor. Designing your own board is quite a task - unless you do this all the time.

Here is a cheap $44 800w Aliexpress SMPS powering my TPA3255 at about 20w into a 3.3ohm load:
794180d1573531774-tpa3255-reference-design-class-amp-gb-tpa3255-3e-amp-8-19vrms-3-3ohms-r121-22k-jpg

Look at the noise floor and lack of any mains 60Hz/120Hz/180Hz or their harmonics. Try that with a linear supply.

Abstract:
If I spend 15$ on some tiny gizmo, take stuff apart, replace previously mentioned gizmo, put stuff together again. I am most certain I would feel a difference, mostly due to time and effort spent.
I would probably want to defend my choice in gizmo, I would probably also defend my time and effort in replacing it.

Would I be able to make an objective claim or comparison of audible differences, in this particular circuit (a relatively cheap TPA3255 implementation), between a OPA1612 vs JRC5532?
Probably not, but I would very likely defend my actions and expenses.

Abstract:
If I spend 15$ on some tiny gizmo, take stuff apart, replace previously mentioned gizmo, put stuff together again. I am most certain I would feel a difference, mostly due to time and effort spent.
I would probably want to defend my choice in gizmo, I would probably also defend my time and effort in replacing it.

Would I be able to make an objective claim or comparison of audible differences, in this particular circuit (a relatively cheap TPA3255 implementation), between a OPA1612 vs JRC5532?
Probably not, but I would very likely defend my actions and expenses.

I find this the crux of high level audio gear comparison and the reason for the choice to be so diverse. While we with certain lower level performance may mainly agree on one solution being clearly better than another, at high level performance the "truth" is replaced by subjective momentary impressions. We are so many looking in different directions for slight improvements and evidently we should believe in our own efforts. Individual results can be used to inspire other but no-one is absolutely right or wrong when discussing SQ at that level.
Had there been a "truth", we would have little to discuss. Is class D sound better than class AB sound? or tube sound?
Let's keep searching for the divine and share our results in discussions, accepting that others may not understand that only we are right. :)

I find this the crux of high level audio gear comparison and the reason for the choice to be so diverse. While we with certain lower level performance may mainly agree on one solution being clearly better than another, at high level performance the "truth" is replaced by subjective momentary impressions. We are so many looking in different directions for slight improvements and evidently we should believe in our own efforts. Individual results can be used to inspire other but no-one is absolutely right or wrong when discussing SQ at that level.
Had there been a "truth", we would have little to discuss. Is class D sound better than class AB sound? or tube sound?
Let's keep searching for the divine and share our results in discussions, accepting that others may not understand that only we are right. :)

thanks for your lights and i share this opinion :) I love American pragmatism .. the French should learn from it ...

accepting that others may not understand that only we are right. :)

Being right is not so important, accepting that we can all make mistakes is very important.
I am rarely right in anything, I mostly just sift through information sludge, trying to find small sandgrains of knowledge.

I think it's better to try but fall face first, than blindly follow "public opinion".
Making a mistake, and then comprehending that it was a mistake, is a vital part of progression.

Last edited:
has anyone measured temperature of chips here? i am having 10 degrees Celsius difference on one pcb in same testing conditions(without heatsink,somewhat low voltage), could tpa chips be culprit or should i concentrate my search on other parts of circuit, also hotter chip seems to be drawing more current on aux 12v inputs. thanks