TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Today tried 30 min on full throttle with Canton SC-L. The case got warm, some about 45degree celcius. Think inner temp is much higher. No clipping or audible distortions, bass speakers are controlled. Think my listening room of 50 sq.m. absorbing most of music power. Some evidence of lows appear, may be after 30 hours of working. Perhaps I judged too yearly this device. Awaiting this board to come and compare.
224,39 грн. 20%СКИДКА | TPA3116 2*100 Вт Bluetooth цифровой Мощность усилитель доска двухканальный цифровой аудио платы модуля усилителя Super Bass Ampl
TPA3116 2*100W Bluetooth Digital Power Amplifier Board Dual Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Board Module Super Bass Ampl-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I bought a yjhifi tpa3255 amp with a meanwell 600-v48 to power my elac uni-fi b5s. I just hooked it up last night and first impression is that there is not enough bass from this setup. Has anyone tried powering uni-fis with this amp and what has been their assessment? Thanks in advance.

Guess, same case as mine. Got you this item like mine? Same situation- not enough bass, but drastically linear reproduction is somewhat need to adapt. I checked by Hz generator the device is able to reproduce low frequency if to force it via generator. Some tracks deliver infralow push, some sounding flat .
1 502,04 грн. 11%СКИДКА | AIYIMA TPA3255 Bluetooth усилители домашние аудио Мощность доска класса D 2,0 канала 300 Вт * 2
AIYIMA TPA3255 Bluetooth Amplifier Audio Power Amplifiers Board Class D 2.0 Channel 300W*2-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Chris, thanks for the hint. The only thing I have no idea which ones should be checked. Can you please point which ones, please? I made links on photo of the board. Are they ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190310_152828.jpg
    IMG_20190310_152828.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 591
i re checked all tpa3255 2.0 amps on the net to get a pic from the buttom pcb...no chance...
so anatoliy please open the lower screws of hte back panel (where all connectors are) and move gently the back panel up. so you can slide the pcb out of the case. then its easy to make a pic of the buttom pcb.

i am not really sure how the signals goes.

RCA- Bluetooth chip?- volume knop (50k potentiometer) and then?...-DC blocking cap (10µF) it should be to the opamp-its a dual opamp one gets the signal+the other gets the inverted signal = 2 opamps in 1 chip. this signal goes to the next DC blocking cap (10µF) to the TPA3255 chip--> pic 1

in this pic forget the connectors (j14,J4)and follow the signal. so the TPA3255 overall needs 4x 10µF caps- its recommended to push no DC into the power chip!!!

please read the TI manual and the TPA3255EVm its really goo to learn more..

chris

Attachments

• input signal to the opamps.JPG
    input signal to the opamps.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 597
Tried today a stock TI board with a pair of ls3/5a (11 or 15 ohm don't remember) and it sounds good. Maybe a little "light" on the bass but absolutely enjoyable.

Do you think there are some risks for the loudspeakers?

Hi DIP8

no risk...no fun;):D

no..honestly its no problem....the board are very good made and no fake components inside (i have a TPA3251EVM) i never had the problem that i have to less bass.......i read this very often...i guess the other amps made a "swelled" bass or a distroided bass...sorry but i use since more then 1 year the TPA boards and never had a problem with bass....my "fake amp" has more bass control as a pass F5 clone...not much but slightly more punch

chris

Hi Chris, thank you.
Ls3/5a are difficult to drive even with some big A class amplifier.

Hi

as i read here:
BBC LS3/5a loudspeaker 1989 Measurements | Stereophile.com

with 82dB/ sensitivity and this comment:
Remember, however, that the 16-ohm impedance of the LS3/5a will mean that amplifiers used with it will have to be downrated. An amp nominally rated at 100W into 8 ohms will only deliver 50W into the LS3/5a before voltage clipping sets in, though it will depend on frequency whether this will occur before the '3/5a's woofer bangs against the end stops.

so voltage at the power supply up!!!!;)

chris

I was worried because I read about adjusting output coils if the impedance of the speakers is far from 4/8 ohms but my tpa3255 seems to work fine

please check the coils temperature after e.g. 30min in your listening level. if they are hot then the missmatch of the output coil configuration and the impedance(16R) might be the reason. i have the tpa3251EVM(4ohm output filter=7µH) and i had no problem with my higher impedance speakers. but mine are more sensitive 87-89db/m...

chris

Hi, got naked board to define rca signal route. There are two couples of blue capacitors before relay switching gca/ blue tooth source. I have marked them. Have no idea of their nominals. Made close photos to enable detect them with your support.

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_130758.jpg
    IMG_20190311_130758.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_20190311_130417.jpg
    IMG_20190311_130417.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_20190311_130908.jpg
    IMG_20190311_130908.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 758
Hi, got naked board to define rca signal route. There are two couples of blue capacitors before relay switching gca/ blue tooth source. I have marked them. Have no idea of their nominals. Made close photos to enable detect them with your support.

hi anatoliy

first , please clean the pcb with a isopropyl alcohol 99% or special PCB cleaning stuff. .. the buttom side....in special the sector where the volume knob is. i see the traces and its 1µF cap so its in my opinion ok before the relay.

Hi

don´t give up...com ´on...;)

ok.. you are not happy with the bass reproducing...the class D are normally very clear and have a non sweled bass reproduction..
Did you change this single cap...the blue one? its just 220µ...as we discussed TPA3255 datasheet recommend more...

Please can you measure the coil. is it 10µH? what is you speakers impdeance?
chris

Hi, dont have measurement device to desl with coils. Here are tech data about speakers:Technische Daten

Bauart: 3-Wege Baßreflex (Rohr nach vorne), aktive Entzerrung, Standlautsprecher
Chassis:
Tieftöner: 2 x 220 mm Langhub-Tieftonchassis
Mitteltöner: 1 x 160 mm Mitteltonchassis
Hochtöner: 1 x 25 mm Alu-Mangan Kalotten-Hochton-Chassis
Belastbarkeit: 200 / 350 W
Wirkungsgrad: 90 dB/1W/1m
Klirrgrad: unter 0,6%
Frequenzgang:
Übertragungsbereich: 18 - 30.000 Hz
Übergangsbereiche: 300 / 3500 Hz
Impedanz: 4 - 8 Ohm

Hi

so the speaker are "normal" speaker in sense of impedance and sensitive enough to live with less power...that´s good so i do not really see the reason of lacking bass...the lack of capacity is not the reason! as doctor and i remind you....if you level is in a living room;)...so no party machine , boom box etc..

in post 988 you wrote that you use a massive 1200W 50V/20A psu from a
GSm...so this is no problem..psu is sufficient

about gain= you start at page 98 with compare to your TPA3116 amp. as we discussed the gain setting is different...so compare or check setting in your source(laptop,phone..what ever) to get more voltage gain into the amp to compare correctly

as i wrote according to the datasheet its should be 4700µF/63V cap to each rail=
here...https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/cla...iy-discussion-design-etc-103.html#post5718043
hm... so you dont have any electronics to measure and no skills to do that.

in post #982 you wrote something about your sound card..
Think main power belongs to lower end frequency they are just cut by crossover and play from 70Hz and up.---> check setting on you laptop

if i add everything together i come to no real findings to help you with the "lacking of bass".....

sorry
chris

Chris, thanks a lot for your kind suggestions. As I mentioned before will go for other tpa3255 which closer to original.
Like this:
1 400,78 грн. 7%СКИДКА | Высокое качество класса D TPA3255 HIFI аудио цифровой усилитель совета разрядный Мощность схема усилителя модуля 300 Вт + 300 Вт DC 48 В
High Quality Class D TPA3255 HIFI AUDIO Digital Amplifier Board Digit Power AMP Circuit Module 300W + 300W DC 48V -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
The only thing it board required separate bt device since Once used it will never switch back to wires.
Consider some board like this
724,10 грн. 30%СКИДКА | AIYIMA Bluetooth 4,0 I2S лихорадка декодер AK4490 JRC5532 декодирования доска DC12V DIY для Мощность Усилители звука колонки Amplificador
AIYIMA Bluetooth 4.0 I2S Fever Decoder AK4490 JRC5532 Decoding Board DC12V DIY For Power Amplifiers Audio Speakers Amplificador-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Or this
349,22 грн. 31%СКИДКА | Lusya CSR64215 усилитель 4,2 APT-X Беспроводной без потерь аудио стерео Bluetooth приемник доска 6-36 В A7-007
Lusya CSR64215 Amplifier 4.2 APT X Wireless Lossless Bluetooth Audio Stereo Receiver Board 6 36V A7 007-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
And in case:
412,54 грн. 26%СКИДКА | HiFi Bluetooth 4,2 аудио приемник APTX Для Автомобильный усилитель Динамик изменить
HiFi Bluetooth 4.2 Audio Receiver Box APTX For Car Amplifier Speaker Modify-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group