TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Nice amp and mechanical construction!
I wonder about the 15V though.

Assuming they did dual mono to use each chip in PBTL-mode, 15V is just 25W in 4Ohms (1%THD) and probably half that into 8Ohms.

The main caps are 35V so they might have planned for ~30V initially!?
Either they tested very conservatively with sinewaves and found the heatsink hot enough at 15V supply voltage or they had other problems with the amp at higher voltages (oscillation or simply that the 5V regulator gets too hot).

I gave a try with two PSUs :

15V / 7A
24V /4A

Keep in mind that this is a double MONO version so it is much more than 25W / 4R.

I did not measure but with the stock 15V / 7A I drive my high ends floor speakers without difficulty for a more than comfortable listening in a room of 30m2. My speakers are about 100RMS / 8R, 2.5 way with ribbon tweeters.

In my humble opinion we must be close to 60W / 8R when I compare VS my Hypex NC252MP ( 2X150W / 8R) : which is more than sufficient in many situations

The amp is absolutely clean and dead silent between tracks.
For the moment sounds great and love it, I still have to listen to it more carefully but it is very promising :)

When powered by 15 volts in PBTL mode, the maximum power is 25 watts. At 4 ohms load.
With the sensitivity of your "super floor speakers" below 87 dB. one can only dream of high fidelity of sound ... :) With the distortions that these amplifiers have. It's funny.
First read the datasheet, then write nonsense about 60 watts on the forum ... :)
This is for a 4 ohm load. For 8 ohms it will be even worse. Possibly only 12.5 watts. I don't even want to write about distortions ... :)

Attachments

• PBTL.png
    PBTL.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 428
  • THD.png
    THD.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
60 watts into 8 ohms is 22 volts RMS.
Do not make me laugh.

calm down bro ) I said in my humble opinion... and also said I did not measure it...
For the moment, both PSU work fine.

PS : just got a tiny pop when switching ON with the 24V

Have you had the opportunity to hear it? This amp is a little bomb especially in terms of its price my friend) I have almost all the TPA32XX (Jlester, DrMordor, Shui Yuan, etc etc). I also have for comparison: almost all Hypex Ncore and a Purifi at home and many others ....

Last edited:
calm down bro ) I said in my humble opinion...
For the moment, both PSU work fine.
I'm not nervous. Why should I calm down? :)
You litter the branch with your carpets again ... :)
It is monopenisual to me how many amplifiers you have. Don't litter the branch.
My amplifiers cost $ 50, each with 2 TPA3255 chips. Are yours cheaper ??? :)
some **** with a power of 12 watts and distortions higher than 0.2% for a price twice as much as my amplifier ... :) They made fun again ... :)
Just "Chapito circus".

Last edited:
I'm not nervous. Why should I calm down?
You litter the branch with your carpets again ...
It is monopenisual to me how many amplifiers you have. Don't litter the branch.
My amplifiers cost $ 50, each with 2 TPA3255 chips. Are yours cheaper ???
some **** with a power of 12 watts and distortions higher than 0.2% for a price twice as much as my amplifier ... They made fun again ...
Just "Chapito circus".

sterile discussion is not it? In the meantime, I think I have rendered more service to the community of the forum than you) I was told that you were a little "special" now I understand better)

My carpet is available on Ikea and hope you will stumble upon a patient seller and most importantly, don't forget to ask for the correct size)

Last edited:
My speakers are about 100RMS / 8R, 2.5 way with ribbon tweeters.
Your speakers are not "high fidelity" - by definition.
Your room is not a "normal high fidelity listening room" ... :)
From the word "ALL" ... :)

100RMS is not 100 volts RMS, otherwise your speakers would have a nominal power of 1250 watts ... :)
Far from it. Ordinary modern "birdhouses" (as I call them), which have nothing to do with good acoustic systems.

Hello all! I've spent the last few days reading this thread from start to finish. There is a lot of info to absorb.

I'm about to buy the parts I need to build myself an amp based on 3e-audio tpa3255. I'm new-ish to circuitry but ambitious to learn. My end goal is to build a 2.1 amp but phase one won't include the .1. From what I have learned to get the best result I believe I need:
- TPA3255 from 3e-audio
- 709-LRS350-48 PSU
- 2 OPA1656ID
- RK27112A0-S20-C0-A103 (for volume on line-in)

What about EMI filters and upgraded capacitors? I'd like to make sure I have the parts I need to make it as best as possible. There is so much information in this thread but its a bit hard to get a comprehensive understanding of exactly what I'll need. Any feedback is appreciated.

- TPA3255 from 3e-audio
- 709-LRS350-48 PSU
- 2 OPA1656ID
- RK27112A0-S20-C0-A103 (for volume on line-in)
If you need a 2.1, - the cheaper option is. 50.0 US dollars.
If you have speakers with a sensitivity greater than 90 dB, then you do not need a 48 volt power supply. LRS 200-36 is enough.
If your sound card has a balanced output, then there is no need to change the microcircuit. Better to get around it. In other words, remove and connect the signal directly to the capacitors at the amplifier's input.
If you have the ability to adjust the volume with the sound card itself, then you don't need an additional volume control.
If you have acoustics with passive filters (without a separate subwoofer), then it is better to buy an amplifier with PBTL. But it is expensive and ineffective in terms of price / quality ratio.

Last edited: