TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hi Everyone,
From where I can buy 3E Audio TPA3255 stereo amplifier board? It is out of stock on Aliexpress and their website point to Aliexpress marketplace only. Any other place, where I can buy the same?

Thanks,
Simar

It looks like it’s listed as this now: "SOTAMIA TPA3255 Power Amplifier 2x260W Two Channel Hifi Class D Home Theater Audio Amplifier Amplificatore". It looks like the 3e Audio amp.

In USA Amazon it appears as "Facibom Digital Audio Power Amplifier Board TPA3255 260W X2 Dual Channel Class D Power Amplifier Board Module"
Pete

Last edited:
But it is listed at a much higher price. I think it was $65 directly from 3E Audio with a $9 shipping, isn't it?

Maybe I need to wait till the time they have in stock.

It takes 45 days for Aliexpress stuff to get where i live. Add to that, Ali lost my initial package and I ordered a second one after 2 months.

In total, almost 4 months and one refund. 3e was without any fault and very supportive.

If you can get it locally, i would seriously consider it.

Last edited:
I think 3e-Audio make these boards in batches and you will need to wait for the next batch to become available. They obviously sell some boards to other suppliers who then sell at a higher price.

I would only buy the 3e-Audio products directly from 3e-Audio through their AliExpress page. Delivery has been pretty quick to the UK - usually around 10 days or so. Always choose the AliExpress postal service (tracked) for anything shipped from China. Most of the other carriers are a waste of space !

D

Deleted member 148505

Not sure why you think the JLE board is higher quality than the 3e. The 3e board performs well and has not had any problems associated with it design. Both of my 3e boards have no background noise and produce amazing sound. The JLE board looks good but this does not reflect quality or good design.

Higher quality characteristics:
  • Low noise post switching regulator
  • Transient voltage protection.
  • ENIG gold plated PCB (trace does not peel easily provided that you have a temp controlled soldering iron)
  • Electrolytic cap for each opamp
  • Oversized ouput filter inductor and capacitor, zobel
  • PFFB can be enabled/disabled depending on someone's taste
  • Zero hiss / zero hum
  • OCD level soldering job

It comes with a higher price though.

Also there's no product that can satisfy all of the consumer's need, that's why we have lots of TPA3255 modules to choose from: XrK, drMord(or), AIYIMA etc..

Waiting for your update :)
You can check JLE website after holidays for new updates. Thanks

Hi,
A personal remark (to DIY designers...):
Because there is no "perfect" cap when it comes to taste/colour finalization, i (and others) only by amps (pcb) design about which we can tweak output filter inductors/film caps and main supply rail combos. That's why we need some room regarding the position of these key components, and at least two (18mm) lytics for each rail.
That's why we could buy JLesterP board/module, but not some others even if they are top of the art.

Last edited:
daniboun, I see that you have tested many different amplifier boards, and I appreciate reading your opinions of each. So you might be interested in a TPA3221 amp board that was just mentioned on the forum -
TPA3221

This amp board is just US$18
TPA3221 Module de carte amplificateur de puissance numerique Cl D 100W + 100W amplificateur haute puissance | AliExpress

I would be very interested to hear your opinion of this amp.

Sorry I did not have the opportunity to test it...
I am concentrating my efforts on offering a Dual Mono Purifi amps with a "custom" Pre Buffer, I hope it will be ready by January

However I tested the TAS3251! really not bad anyway)

Last edited:
Higher quality characteristics:
  • Low noise post switching regulator
  • Transient voltage protection.
  • ENIG gold plated PCB (trace does not peel easily provided that you have a temp controlled soldering iron)
  • Electrolytic cap for each opamp
  • Oversized ouput filter inductor and capacitor, zobel
  • PFFB can be enabled/disabled depending on someone's taste
  • Zero hiss / zero hum
  • OCD level soldering job

It comes with a higher price though.

Also there's no product that can satisfy all of the consumer's need, that's why we have lots of TPA3255 modules to choose from: XrK, drMord(or), AIYIMA etc..

You can check JLE website after holidays for new updates. Thanks

I was trying to say that the 3eAUDIO TPA32xx boards are not low quality and they seem to be well made, with no hiss and are reliable. I agree that the JLE does measure better and will have better sound quality.

Pokerbarlo, you are wrong about the tpa3255. It really is 150w but I dont think you use the amp within its limitations. The bass shakers are probably less than4ohm so in parallell they actually are less than 2 ohms! I think 3.3ohm is the limit for the chip. When connected in series lets say 7ohm which is fine but then you need a high level music signal (3-4V, think pro audio levels) into the amp which most people dont have. The amp only has about 21db of gain so its designed to be used with a preamp. Many other diy amps have 26-32db of gain so this tpa3255 isn't straight up swappable with other diy cheap power amps you might have already. So to sum it up, connect 2 shackers in series and get a preamp with 3-4V signal level output and it should work :) Also, put a fan on the heatsink for high power continous use.

D

Deleted member 148505

Hmm based on my tests (and also in Quantasylum measurements) gain is around 27.5dB to 28dB, so I'm not sure why the datasheet says 21.5dB.

Anyone can clarify about this?

EDIT: I think 21.5dB is for SE per channel gain. 27.5dB is for BTL modules

Attachments

• gain1.PNG
    gain1.PNG
    49.5 KB · Views: 373
  • gain2.PNG
    gain2.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3e-Audio EAUMT-0260-2-B Rev1 two channel TAP3255 board (this is the latest released board as far as I know).

Has anyone looked at the options to add bypass capacitors to the main Power Supply Capacitors ? Should be quite easy to add them under the board.

I don't know if you would have access to the AVVD Supply on the TPA3255 to add any additional Capacitors at this point.

As the Op-Amps are on DIL adapters it should be quite easy to add some dedicated capacitors to the Op-Amp's power supply pins.

Any opinions as to whether this would improve the amplifier ??