TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

D

Deleted member 148505

- 3E Audio With OPA1612 sounds great and still have a good sounstage. But
it definitely lacks consistency in the sound compared to the Drmordor module. The Drmordor is much more dynamic, more "organic". The bass drops lower and medium + high are better as well. Regarding the soundstage, the amps are equal, it is very precise and we find "the signature of the TPA3255" which remains, to my ears, the most holographic chip on the market. Regarding the quality of the case, and its fan, the 3E Audio is really well made, the fan is pretty noiseless, can't ear it at all.
Another important point, the Drmodor is more powerful at equal volume ... PFFB + best PSU (LLC) on DrMordor make the difference....

I think you perceive the sound as more powerful because of the exaggerated bass. TPA3255 PFFB + 22uF input caps provide lower bass. When I used 10uF input caps on my PFFB, the bass went normal. But yes, PFFB configured TPA3255 has better lows compared to non-PFFB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you perceive the sound as more powerful because of the exaggerated bass. TPA3255 PFFB + 22uF input caps provide lower bass. When I used 10uF input caps on my PFFB, the bass went normal. But yes, PFFB configured TPA3255 has better lows compared to non-PFFB.

I would answer with a question ... what is the perception of a "normal bass level"?
from what I understand:

22uF input caps provide lower bass (exaggerated bass)
10uF input caps provide normal bass

beyond the value of the input caps, I also think that for example : Nichicon Muse caps will probably sound different than Elna silmic 2.... We can push the reasoning further ...
Air core inductors vs other for TPA3255
etc etc

This is the whole difficulty of finding the right components to associate around the TPA3255 .... and I think cdsgames has put his finger on the right formula) I am really waiting to see his module at work and in action!

Last edited:
Hi gents,
Just a note: input cap could not give "exagerated" bass, it could only allow more extension to lower frequencies if they are already present at the amp's input... :)
It's rather a too small input cap value, which could possibly limit the amp's capability to reproduce the low range...

Hi gents,
Just a note: input cap could not give "exagerated" bass, it could only allow more extension to lower frequencies if they are already present at the amp's input... :)
It's rather a too small input cap value, which could possibly limit the amp's capability to reproduce the low range...

More capacity mean slower, slower = transient response affected in the bass, I don't know if it's measurable but it is very clearly audible. The greater the cap value the thicker gets the bass. Listen to 1uF vs 100uF (no bass roll off with 1uF of course).

Hi SinGun,
That's not how it works...more input cap does not slow down anything, it only allows lower frequencies to be less attenuated by the input hi-pass filter the input cap creates with the amp's input resistance (or impedance).
If you clearly hear more bass with a larger cap, it is just that the bass you are listening to get less attenuated at the amp input thanks to a larger cap ==lower low freq. limit for your amp.
Cheers.
Kal