TPA3251d2

Hi amigos,

I finally got my OPA1656 yesterday. Let's share my opinion VS the Burson Audio V5i
I consider the Burson Audio V5i a bit better than the OPA1622 after 30h/40h of burning.
As reminder, the spec of the OPA1656 here :

https://www.ti.com/product/OPA1656?...kBCOtd3fnT25rUm1SxxoCTl4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Listening test :

Amplifier : AIYIMA TPA3251 + 35V PSU / 6A
AOP Burson Audio 5Vi vs OPA1656
Source : Audio HD Jazz music / Tidal stream HD music
Streamer : LG V30 Audiophile Phone (Internal DAC OFF)
Protocol : APTX HD BT

Price : About $80 for the Burson, About $40 for the OPA1656 (DIP 8 socket, paired)

If you consider that my OPA Burson have about 30h of burn test, at the first listening, the OPA1656 are simply impressive out of the box, especially regarding their price.

Bass rendering : The OPA1656 go further than the Burson Audio, I found the Bass transmission being more dynamic and deeper and also; a bit more faster and sharper. The difference is noticeable after a good listening.

Medium rendering : here, The Burson Audio V5i is doing a good job. Female and male voices stand out very well, everything is clear and very well transcribed. The OPA1656 performs almost as well in this register, with somes mediums a little behind.

Treble rendering : Both chips perform very well : rather soft and silky with OPA1656 and more defined and clear with the Bursons. In both cases, nothing is aggressive and the treble register is purely excellent.

Sound Stage : What can I say except that these two OPA are absolutely incredible in this regard. The separation of the instruments is precise, super audible and the soundstage is fantastic. Listening to Eric Rib Live @FIP in HD Audio : it feels like a third place on the stage. Very difficult to differentiate between the two competitors : They draw here

Conclusion :
I'll cut it dry, but if you consider the price of single to double ... Winner is OPA1656 without hesitation. I also imagine that after 30 hours it will sound even better

Since I didn't want to compromise. So I put the OPA1656 in my Double DAC AK4497 and finally put back the Burson Audio in the AIYIMA TPA3251. I have the best of both worlds now ! Too bad you can't listen, it's really worth the detour (last picture) !!

Pictures :

IMG-20200416-130635.jpg

IMG-20200416-130839.jpg

IMG-20200416-144614.jpg

IMG-20200416-144755.jpg

Last edited:
Great news, glad you are happy :)

Agree with most points, just a few additional notes:
- yes, they will sound a tad better after a some hours burn-in, been there...
- in fact the medium is superb and very accurate, it is just that it usualy stands out with other op-amps that have less bass or are more typed etc., here they are just there with the rest
- errr, price calculation? Cost is 2.56E at Mouser with tax and you just need a socket to solder yours. I got 10 sockets and legs delivered for 5E, so each (double) op amp mounted cost me 3E and a bit of time to solder these parts together. I need 1 double per channel, so that's quad in total and... 6E material cost. I have been used to much more expensive parts that didn't sound near as good in the past...

Suggestion: build yourself the next ones for your amp aswell, at that price... soldering SMDs isn't difficult.

Have fun

Claude

Great news, glad you are happy :)

Agree with most points, just a few additional notes:
- yes, they will sound a tad better after a some hours burn-in, been there...
- in fact the medium is superb and very accurate, it is just that it usualy stands out with other op-amps that have less bass or are more typed etc., here they are just there with the rest
- errr, price calculation? Cost is 2.56E at Mouser with tax and you just need a socket to solder yours. I got 10 sockets and legs delivered for 5E, so each (double) op amp mounted cost me 3E and a bit of time to solder these parts together. I need 1 double per channel, so that's quad in total and... 6E material cost. I have been used to much more expensive parts that didn't sound near as good in the past...

Suggestion: build yourself the next ones for your amp aswell, at that price... soldering SMDs isn't difficult.

Have funClaude

Thanks Claude, you are right... but I bought mine already soldered because I am absolutely bad on soldering and those tiny chips are difficult to handle for me. This is why I paid it about 30 euros with gold plate pins. It is anyway, according to more a great deal!
We can consider it @ less than $10 if you do the job yourserlf :D

I still want to add that I find them more typed than the OPA1622 and above all more dynamic :) Thanks TI !

Last edited:
Daniboun, there is no point to changing opamps if you don't change the output coils first. The standard ones are measurably bad. The TI specsheet for the evaluation board gives you the exact type you need.

Certainly at somewhat elevated levels, the improvement is striking.

The same cannot be said from changing opamps.

Daniboun, there is no point to changing opamps if you don't change the output coils first. The standard ones are measurably bad. The TI specsheet for the evaluation board gives you the exact type you need.

Certainly at somewhat elevated levels, the improvement is striking.

The same cannot be said from changing opamps.

This is true. I just share what my ears Can feel. I unfortnuately have not measurments but I really happy with what I ear. From a scientist point of view : my review does not make any sense for sure. But I am musician for years now and I wish my review could help some other Audiophile with human ears :p

Last edited:
I decided to pull the trigger on some SOIC-8 to DIP Adapters (BrownDog 970601) and some OPA1656 op amps from Mouser. I also ordered a set of Coilcraft MA-5173 toroid power inductors (same used in TI 3251EVM) to determine if even better sound can be attained with this little Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp.

285E0AB7-810F-44EF-8194-93548BA1E3ED.jpeg

The unit I lightly modified for my friend in California was astonished at how good the Aiyima amp sounds driving his KEF Reference 101 monitors (basically an 8 ohm version of LS3/5A’s). He had a 75 watt Conrad-Johnson MV75-A1 tube amp, but it finally gave up the ghost, and he had already spent a good some of money on repairs. Anyway, he has his Meitner PA6i preamp and SOTA Sapphire Star turntable connected to the Aiyima making great sound in his living room.

I decided to pull the trigger on some SOIC-8 to DIP Adapters (BrownDog 970601) and some OPA1656 op amps from Mouser. I also ordered a set of Coilcraft MA-5173 toroid power inductors (same used in TI 3251EVM) to determine if even better sound can be attained with this little Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp.

View attachment 835266

The unit I lightly modified for my friend in California was astonished at how good the Aiyima amp sounds driving his KEF Reference 101 monitors (basically an 8 ohm version of LS3/5A’s). He had a 75 watt Conrad-Johnson MV75-A1 tube amp, but it finally gave up the ghost, and he had already spent a good some of money on repairs. Anyway, he has his Meitner PA6i preamp and SOTA Sapphire Star turntable connected to the Aiyima making great sound in his living room.

Really interesting. I wish you could share some pictures of your modification.
Even if it goes beyond scientific understanding ... Switching OP amps on this Aiyima Amplifier further optimizes sound )

however I have a question: How can we be sure that the Coilcraft MA-5173 is better than those already installed into the Aiyima TPA3151 ? This little amplifier has proven to us many times that quality is not always linked to price ... but I'm curious to have the results of your tests

Another option I thought of : Audiofeelccdt based in South of Korea are making some Custom DISCRETE OP-AMP.
They apparently offer OP AMP with an inverted philosophy : the idea would be to find the OP-AMP that best adapts to the Aiyima amplifier instead of trying to change the input coil. Let me ask them, I have nothing to lose)

Last edited:
Good question about the output filter inductors. I’ve always had great results in my other Class D amps with their inductors. The stock inductors in the Aiyima amp are decent, but I hope I can get an improvement with the Coilcrafts.

I will post photos of everything once I am finished. I am very pleased with this amp using OPA627AU op amps, but they are expensive. The OPA1656 op amps sound like they might be a nice change and bit more neutral in the midrange compared to the OPA627AU op amps. I will need to work on a linear power supply. Maybe an AMB Labs 30VDC regulated linear unit will be the ticket.

I decided to pull the trigger on some SOIC-8 to DIP Adapters (BrownDog 970601) and some OPA1656 op amps from Mouser.

Hey that's awesome, I'm glad I gave you that suggestion ! :)

I'v been waiting for my OPA1656 build parts to show up weeks now, I'm sure everyone is looking to your testing results...hopefully the 1656's compare favorably to your current opa627's.

Rob43

Hey that's awesome, I'm glad I gave you that suggestion ! :)

I'v been waiting for my OPA1656 build parts to show up weeks now, I'm sure everyone is looking to your testing results...hopefully the 1656's compare favorably to your current opa627's.

Rob43

Thanks for bringing the OPA1656 op amps to my attention. ClaudeG’s and Daniboun’s positive comments really tipped my decision to buy the adapters and op amps.

Good question about the output filter inductors. I’ve always had great results in my other Class D amps with their inductors. The stock inductors in the Aiyima amp are decent, but I hope I can get an improvement with the Coilcrafts.

I will post photos of everything once I am finished. I am very pleased with this amp using OPA627AU op amps, but they are expensive. The OPA1656 op amps sound like they might be a nice change and bit more neutral in the midrange compared to the OPA627AU op amps. I will need to work on a linear power supply. Maybe an AMB Labs 30VDC regulated linear unit will be the ticket.

By the way, when you will switch the coilcrafts : is it possible to make some picture of the whole board with a top and bottom view please ?
How much did you pay for the OPA627 ? I bought mine for about 6 euros in DIP 8 socket.

For the Linea PSU, I made a quality one for about $45 with these parts :

TST 200/013 INDEL - Transformateur: toroidal | 200VA; 230VAC; 24V; 8,33A; 2,1kg; O: 120mm; TST200W/24V | TME - Composants electroniques

Module d'alimentation lineaire double 4x 10000mF 50V - Audiophonics

You will get about 35V DC / 8A max for the main Output. That is perfect for the TPA3251.

Last edited: