TPA3116D2 Amp

Now I have done some listening and experimenting, but I'm not really convinced.. mids and treble a bit flat and sounding a little 'modulated with hiss', and found it a bit thin (but pretty accurate) in the bass. I even had to go back to a amp I know and like to check, and then everything was fine. 15V 3A laptop power brick for supply. Tested on a pair of old modified 8ohm Mission speakers that I know well. Low to medium volume.

I tried some tweaks too. Bypassed the series diode on the supply, added a 6800u 'audio cap' on the supply, replaced the input coupling caps with 6,8u WIMA's, and lastly fed it from a 12V LiPo battery. I think there was some improvement with the battery supply, but still not great to my ears.
Impedance 'mismatch' could explain some extra treble, but I think my hearing hardly reaches that high any more, lucky if I hear much over 10kHz I think.

Any suggestions on what more I should try before I dismiss it..?

Hello to all.
price ratio on the market?

I really like the white boards, the sound is very impressive. the green ones are in my amps, too.
HTB1zHr.OpXXXXcGXVXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg
AIYIMA TPA3110 цифровой аудио усилитель доска 30 Вт PBTL моно Amplificador для 4 8Ohm динамик DC8 26V домашнего кинотеатра-in Усилители мощности from Бытовая электроника on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day
HTB1439fcwDD8KJjy0Fdq6AjvXXau.jpg
AIYIMA TPA3118 цифровой аудио усилитель плата 60 Вт моно мини усилитель мощности модуль домашний звуковой кинотеатр Diy-in Усилители мощности from Бытовая электроника on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Now I have done some listening and experimenting, but I'm not really convinced.. mids and treble a bit flat and sounding a little 'modulated with hiss', and found it a bit thin (but pretty accurate) in the bass. I even had to go back to a amp I know and like to check, and then everything was fine. 15V 3A laptop power brick for supply. Tested on a pair of old modified 8ohm Mission speakers that I know well. Low to medium volume.

I tried some tweaks too. Bypassed the series diode on the supply, added a 6800u 'audio cap' on the supply, replaced the input coupling caps with 6,8u WIMA's, and lastly fed it from a 12V LiPo battery. I think there was some improvement with the battery supply, but still not great to my ears.
Impedance 'mismatch' could explain some extra treble, but I think my hearing hardly reaches that high any more, lucky if I hear much over 10kHz I think.

Any suggestions on what more I should try before I dismiss it..?
Many things may go wrong when measuring THD with ARTA and soundcard which leads to results much worse than reality.
1) THD of TPA3116 measured single ended is one order of magnitue higher than in bridge mode. You should measure bridgemode with a symmetrical input of your soundcard.
2) For best results you have to attenuate the output - consider a resistive symmetric divider in the ballpark of 30dB attenuation
3) For comparision measure THD with and without dummy load. Without dummy load it should read way better - otherwise something is faulty, maybe faked opamps or whatever.
4) When measuring THD with ARTA spectrum analysis, compare the harmonics level H2 and H3 with H1. How many dB are they?
5) post your ARTA spectrum analysis plot here with and without load.
6) In case THD varies irregular vs level, use STEPS to generate a plot of THD vs level at 1kHz and post it here.

hello folks....
was looking for more power for my JBLs (4312s)...
and just discovered the world of class D...
long story short, found on ali "TPA3116 and NE5532P, the power is 100W * 2",

how would be a chain of nobsound 6J2 ----> marantz 2235b (as a pre) ----> TPA3116 ?

or better this TPA3116D2? Yes possibly I'm looking for a whole model with case.

And since i won't be able to read the 1132 discussion pages in the near future, were there some tweaks/mods/tools for this TPA ? Recapping, changing resistors, or else?
I'd really like something in the region 100wpc @8 Ohms, do you find this possible?

in your great and unmatched wisdom, could please give me your opinions?

Thank you very much

Last edited: