TPA3116D2 Amp

Ask for full refund if you receive "clone" while pics showed Sanwu name.

I've been reviewing my eBay purchase history. Whilst I recalled the advert having the Sanwu brand on the boards..... I'd forgotten that the amps I bought were 1/2 the price of the original set I purchased 12-18 months ago. I was expecting clones but hopeful of original Sanwu boards. :)

So, for £8.50, four Sanwu "clone" boards doesn't seem too bad. Though I have yet to use them.

J.

Forgive my ignorance but I'd like to ask if there is a way to increase bass on board shown in the picture. As of now it sound thin and harsh.

Attachments

• XH-M543.jpg
    XH-M543.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 765
before you change anything you should measure the board to see if it is down a few db's at the low end. On another thread here someone was complaining about poor bass on a new class D purchase and it turned out to be not the board but the sound processing before the board. I have a few different versions of tpa3116 and they dont lack bass.

There can also be whole components missing/misspecified/malfunctioning/missoldered, (and many other bad words beginning with m) on these cheap eBay boards that can dramatically attenuate bass reproduction. 'Thin and harsh' is so subjective. It can mean anything from 'just not quite as very high fidelity as I was expecting old chap', to 'oh God it's like a compression driver driven to clip on a 100Hz unbraced metal horn! Turn it off already!!'

There are many different boards, remarks I read for #10101 (post)version are only a few, hiss noise main complaint, that can easily be user error. When you buy an ampboard not many have shared information about, you have to find out yourself or share more information, so others can get a better idea about the ampboard. Price is not very important

Hi, I'm new to diy amp building and I have a few (possibly stupid) questions / assumptions to run by you guys..

I want to build a simple one input amp with only a volume control, to drive my DIY speakers ( 8 Ohm Tang Band 1320-SIF drivers, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/65061-range-speaker-photo-gallery-369.html#post4933327 )
I prefer to include the power supplies in the final case.

To start, I've bought a Yuan Jing 6N3 tube preamp, and a TPA3116d2 stereo board.
I did a test run with a 19v 7a laptop brick for the TPA3116d2, and a 12v ac adapter for the preamp - this worked, hooray!

But then I've read some posts on the TPA3116d2 board overheating, a problem that supposedly would be avoided when using Sanwu TPA3118 mono boards.
So I figure swapping the TPA3116d2 for dual TPA3118's wouldn't be a problem and bought 2 of those just in case.

The wall wart adapter is quite big, I've spotted a led driver that supplies 12v that's a bit more convenient in size.

My questions:
- Is it indeed a good idea to swap my TPA3116D2 for 2 mono TPA3118's?
- Would I be able to use the LED driver to supply 12V AC to my Tube PreAmp or is there a reason not to use a led driver for this?
- Would it give problems to include both the laptop brick and the [wallwart or led driver] in the final case? (Or would this cause interference / noise / other inconveniences?)

Any other tips for this beginner? :)

Last edited:
Overheating 3116 ? Playing music ? What 3116 ampboard ? The Sanwu 3118 is very small, so getting rid of heat is not main strenght, not that I can imagine problems playing music. Mono temperature probably a little lower than stereo, on same ampboard pcb/with same heatsink(3116)
I think electronic transformer would be fine with the additional powersupply components on the tubepcb.

Overheating 3116 ? Playing music ? What 3116 ampboard ? The Sanwu 3118 is very small, so getting rid of heat is not main strenght, not that I can imagine problems playing music. Mono temperature probably a little lower than stereo, on same ampboard pcb/with same heatsink(3116)
I think electronic transformer would be fine with the additional powersupply components on the tubepcb.

I have the YJ TPA3116D2 blue board, read some stuff about the heatsink being too small?
PS. Mag ik morgen even met je pm'en in het Nederlands? :)

I have the YJ TPA3116D2 blue board, read some stuff about the heatsink being too small?
PS. Mag ik morgen even met je pm'en in het Nederlands? :)

Been using that board ( original first made, since shortly after this thread started ) a long time with absolutely no issues with heat. I've driven low efficiency speakers to what I consider loud levels for hours, have left the amp on for weeks.

Never has gotten hot enough to feel any heat on that heat sink.... More heat coming off the laptop power supply than the amp....

John

With gvdd, do you mean the dc power input caps? I've already replaced those.

For the bootstrap, as the recommended TDK X7R's can only be bought here through mouser - incurring a 20 euro shipping fee - I'm looking for an alternative.
Would the Panasonic ECQ-E2224JB (0.22 µF 250 V/DC 5%) be a good alternative?

All right, now I'm confused. Irribeo says bootstrap caps has a big influence, and all through this thread I read it's a good idea to replace.
Now doctormord says "just keep it"?

I've replaced the power caps, I was planning to replace the input caps, gvdd cap, bootstrap caps, (one thing at a time ofcourse) and see where that gets me. All just for fun, otherwise I'd probably be better off buying a better board I guess :)