Totally solder-less amplifier kits?

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Thanks XRK, many good tips here. Will check out the links.

Something similar to the experimental kit is what got me really started on electronics in 1990. I connected a transistor radio, oscillator, and other circuits. Then I soldered together a transistor radio using the circuit from the kit. It worked. I put together a set of speakers.

After my failed (loud buzzing / hum ) amplifier project in 1995 I just gave up until 2015 when my stereo broke down.

Thanks for the recommendation of the JLH. After the antiseptic Lepai type amplifier I bought in 2015 I gave up on commercial amps. I am very wary of buying amp kits. The shipping costs $85 to where I live so maybe that has to wait, but the components are available. Maybe the circuit is available somewhere.

The Weller soldering gun " the Weller D550 heats in just 6 seconds". Let's say that would change my soldering environment..quicker than you can snap fit a wire.

What solder do you recommend?

Another one.

Patrick

Attachments

• LM4766 Scaffold.jpg
    LM4766 Scaffold.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 104
The Weller soldering gun " the Weller D550 heats in just 6 seconds".

That one has the following in the specs:
Tip Temperature 1,100°F - 900°F

This is approximately 480-590, which is too hot IMO for successful soldering of through hole components.

I don't understand why it is so hard to get a simple, normal soldering iron and some 60/40 and practice. Positive airflow to keep the fumes away from your face and happy days.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I only mentioned the monster Weller gun because that’s what I was first introduced to soldering when I was about 6 years old by my father. I was thinking, don’t all DIY dads have this iron?

Nowadays, you can get a variable temp iron that accepts Hakko compatible tips with stand and accessories for $10. I have one of these as a backup “travel” iron and they work very well. Absolutely reliable. Even better than $50 ones.

Mini Soldering Iron Adjustable Temperature Electric Solder Iron Rework Station Mini Handle Heat Pencil Welding Repair Tools 60W|Electric Soldering Irons| - AliExpress

My go-to main iron is now a Weller WE1010NA. Works like a champ and super stable and heats up fast.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JDGY1...abc_QDFXSTXQPSENTEHS130W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If we have a soldering iron and some thick copper wire, P2P amps like this Juma designed F5 is a lot of fun. No PCB needed.
574333d1476267068-f5-2sk2013-2sj313-f5-j313-k2013-capacitance-multiplier-works.jpg

Last edited: