Tony Gee Plutone

Hello I am planning to built something similar (high efficiency large drivers ) and I discovered Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance they have some very interesting speakers and the owner can give plans for free also the prices are quite nice. Browsing in their forum the comments were more than good.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J320FN μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Not really on topic, Plutone are neither really efficient, nor cheap at all... Plutone are just intented to fill a non existing void, as so many speakers projects... Speakers as usual designed by dyiers as usual, sempiternel flawed designs based of exoctic and expensive drivers and parts, illustrated by unfair measurements as bad faith second hand car reseller arguments, it 's getting almost boring to see that, making diy worse than a supermarket!:D In the end Genelec stuff is not that expensive and surely better designed!

Last edited:
All these JA-8008 measurement are too good to be true... Or i bought the wrong units?:rolleyes:

My quick and dirty shots at 0º, 30º and 60º on a 28X42 baffle...

What's her name? :confused:

Attachments

• JA8008.png
    JA8008.png
    25 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
All these JA-8008 measurement are too good to be true... Or i bought the wrong units?:rolleyes:

My quick and dirty shots at 0º, 30º and 60º on a 28X42 baffle...

What's her name? :confused:

It does look awfully like this one Troels did:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/QUATTR...attro-8008-spl_cab_noXO_merged350-375-400.jpg

And yes, it looks like i'd never bought it. Directivity wise - now we see why there are no 60 deg off-axis measurements for tqwt or quattro - or Pluton ftm. Xover frequency is just too high for an 8" woofer. I mean, -8dB at 60deg at the xover region.

Last edited:
.....Directivity wise - now we see why there are no 60 deg off-axis measurements for tqwt or quattro - or Pluton ftm. Xover frequency is just too high for an 8" woofer. I mean, -8dB at 60deg at the xover region.

Plutone on-axis and off-axis measurements: Red on-axis; Green 15 degrees off-axis; Purple 30 degrees off-axis; Yellow 45 degrees off-axis; Range 200Hz - 20kHz / Vertical scale 50-100dB; subdivisions 2dB's
Crossoverpoint from woofer to tweeter is at 2400Hz.

Attachments

• Plutone_SPL_off-axis.jpg
    Plutone_SPL_off-axis.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 721
GDO, thank you for the measurements.

Unless I'm mistaken, almost every 6"-12" I've ever measured exhibits this 600-800Hz dip.

With my Acoustic Elegance TD6M, I covered the basket posts with closed cell foam. This lessened the dip.

Until 'basket' manufacturers start 'rounding' the inside edges, this dip will occur. It's likely a reflection.

Or am I out to lunch?.

Plutone on-axis and off-axis measurements: Red on-axis; Green 15 degrees off-axis; Purple 30 degrees off-axis; Yellow 45 degrees off-axis; Range 200Hz - 20kHz / Vertical scale 50-100dB; subdivisions 2dB's
Crossoverpoint from woofer to tweeter is at 2400Hz.

From what i see there is about 3dB dip starting at 2.8KHz so that's why i would really like to see 60deg measurement and measurement on axis at the same graph

Individual driver rolloffs would be great just to back up the claim for 2.4KHz xover frequency.

Cheers

Last edited:
GDO, thank you for the measurements.

Unless I'm mistaken, almost every 6"-12" I've ever measured exhibits this 600-800Hz dip.

With my Acoustic Elegance TD6M, I covered the basket posts with closed cell foam. This lessened the dip.

Until 'basket' manufacturers start 'rounding' the inside edges, this dip will occur. It's likely a reflection.

Or am I out to lunch?.

A reflection would show differently under different axis. Shape is the same a 0º, 30º, 60º, so it is clear for me that this is no acoustical problem (reflection, baffle diffraction effect,...) , but a mechanical one, cone/suspension resinance.

It's true that many driver, especially paper cones, show problems like this, but in this case it's pretty ugly, especially for a masterpiece boutique driver...

But what bothers me most, is some efforts to mask the sad reality, like this one::mad:

Jantzen-JA8008-FR.gif

Last edited:
Yes, a link from his website. The measurement is done with the driver set on a large baffle - so there is no sign of baffle effects!
In his own words: Zaph|Audio
"All response curves are with the drivers on an infinite baffle. All drivers are countersunk, and all baffle openings are chamfered in back for smooth airflow. Don't forget that in the real world, baffle step and diffraction will affect the curves. These curves are all far field, taken with a 10ms gating window. Below 600 Hz, a near field measurement is merged in for accuracy. Response curves include impedance curves at the bottom."

I bet that those 600-800Hz are baffle edge interferences, they do appear also off-axis as you can see tfom this measurement done outdoors yesterday. A6,5" woofer (coax SEAS) in 9" x 13" box. I measured also backside radiation! 180Hz is ground reflection.

Attachments

• aw7 out0-90 90-180 spl 12ms 112.jpg
    aw7 out0-90 90-180 spl 12ms 112.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 666
  • aw-7 out 0-90 12ms 16 polar.jpg
    aw-7 out 0-90 12ms 16 polar.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:

Attachments

• aw7 out 0 20 40 60 4ms nosmo.jpg
    aw7 out 0 20 40 60 4ms nosmo.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
Your set up is nonsense. i am sure you cannot even afford 1ms at that distance. Why go outdoors to do that mess? Trying to emphasizes the floor reflection effect on a bad measurement, or just enoying summertime?

Stop trolling, it's my job here!:D

Last edited: