To Troels or not to Troels?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
what is to think about this time-align-stuff. Hocuspocus?
With electrical compensation., you don't have to know the distance, because once you measure phase it happens automatically. Maybe in the '70s less people used to measure their speakers, because there isn't really a problem.

Today we have a new issue. When people talk about DSP, it has a delay feature and it gets confused with the old time alignment ideas.. but it's no different to passive, I can use the same passive methods with DSP.

A second confusion we have now is USB microphones, because they don't measure time and people have to work out the physical delay, so it gets talked about too much.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
[edit: just reading a nice explanation, I think I see something]
I'd like to clarify one of the things this person says, as I disagree with the way it comes across...
The phase between two speakers determines how the sound from those two speakers will combine. When the phase is complementary, the sum of the output of the two speakers combines to produce more output. From an imaging perspective, that helps us hear the two speakers as one speaker. When our right and left speakers are in phase, we hear a center image. When a midrange and tweeter are in phase, we hear them as a single speaker.

You do not have to get phase identical to blend speakers, in fact you can have good cross with an intentional phase shift between the drivers. It is not about 'locking in' imaging. Imaging is more about having a clean and balanced sound field around the speakers.

I spent a few years in the '90s trying to perfect phase alignments to the nearest degree, working on the application of different crossover types and slopes. These things didn't change the fundamental character of what I was hearing. While a crossover is very important part of a speaker, it can only work with the acoustic physical conditions that you provide it with.

Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Btw, he has experimented with different load, also for the mid, but He had not tried yet open back tunel for the mid, nore cardioid. While he has tried variovent type already.

In my limited experience, though I listened many speakers as people here, quality of passive parts matters when you have a good source and drivers with good clearness. While he glue to Jantzen for partnership reasons, the Red Jantzen is among the good one Q/P cap. Audyns are among my favorite one though too much expensive (good choice beginns with the Superior Plus imo).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Back to the original question that started this thread.
I ended up building Troels Ekta-25 as seen here. Ekta-25
I haven't had time to test them yet because I got sidetracked building one of Randy Thatcher's Alephs.
I love the DIY experience although some of the challenges can be stressful at times.

I spent approximately the same amount of money on my Ekta's as I would've on the following.
Response D20R

Which would be 'better'? A good deal on a previously enjoyed high end speaker?
Or, the satisfaction of a successful DIY project?

Regards,
Dan

Back to the original question that started this thread.
I ended up building Troels Ekta-25 as seen here. Ekta-25
I haven't had time to test them yet because I got sidetracked building one of Randy Thatcher's Alephs.
I love the DIY experience although some of the challenges can be stressful at times.

I spent approximately the same amount of money on my Ekta's as I would've on the following.
Response D20R

Which would be 'better'? A good deal on a previously enjoyed high end speaker?
Or, the satisfaction of a successful DIY project?

Regards,
Dan
Which speaker did you end up prefering? Proac or Troel?

Hello, I have carefully read (with google translate) this very interesting discussion thread. I am lover of sound reproduction,
I know how to work with wood, I know how to assemble XO nor the abilities to develop speakers, and I think that many are in my case.
When I wanted to build my first speakers, I searched on the sites of speaker manufacturers. speakers to see what was on offer.
This is how I discovered the SEAS Thor, then while looking for more information I discovered this forum and the “Small Thor MLTL” version. which I made in 2014 and which I still use despite the speakers which are breaking down.
This summer I did some listening in a store to buy an amplifier and a CD player, first, first on the Focal Kanta n2, then the Dynaudio Confidence 20, the B&W 804 and finally the B&W 803: the only ones that I found better than the Thor.
The listening room was not the same, but amplifier + player yes because I bought them.
All this to say that DIY allows access to a range that we could not afford but that it is not easy to find complete plans for achievements and that is why the people like me end up on the T.G. site.
I would like to make new, totally different speakers, high efficiency and large volume (my room is large), Klipsch style and apart from on the T.Gravesen site I did not find a “ready to build ".
Maybe I looked wrong...
I will definitely do the “Faital 3wc-15”, the quality/price ratio will definitely not be as good as the Thor, the speakers have been increased and the Jansen kit is expensive.
I hope that his detractors are not completely right and that his creations are still qualitative, I also tell myself that if it was really bad, the big brands would not sponsor it and would dissociate from it.
If some of you have an opinion on this kit, even theoretical, technical, objective, I am interested.

I will definitely do the “Faital 3wc-15”, the quality/price ratio will definitely not be as good as the Thor, the speakers have been increased and the Jansen kit is expensive.
In my opinion the main reason for the not-so-good price/performance ratio of this kit is the using of butique capacitors. Technically/theroetically what is also strange to me in this construction is the 8" midrange crossing to a (almost)flat faceplate 1" dome at relative high freqency, this probably creates a (large?) horizontal off-axis dip around the xo region. That we don't see on the constructor's website because he didn't published the off-axis responses of the speaker.
Otherwise looks good overall.

Reactions: 1 user
I built both the Faital 3WC (the original 12" version, not the 15") and the Ekta mk2. I'm not a professional reviewer or anything but I personally think both are excellent speakers and very enjoyable. I actually have a hard time deciding which is "better", and I swap between them every once in a while.

Attachments

• 2022-09-25 23.32.44.jpg
    2022-09-25 23.32.44.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: 3 users
I built both the Faital 3WC (the original 12" version, not the 15") and the Ekta mk2. I'm not a professional reviewer or anything but I personally think both are excellent speakers and very enjoyable. I actually have a hard time deciding which is "better", and I swap between them every once in a while.
Great the smaller scan can be head to head , sound better as dinamic at lower volume ?