Tiniest 40hz Sub

Hello all, I have come to a point in my 2.1 project where I need to replace the current 7" driver with the smallest 40hz setup. Available power is 140wrms and there is variable bass boost

This is for very intimate night listening, so think low volume with loudness button on

Driver needs to have a mounting depth of less than 70mm. Any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure about the Epique, if I remember correctly there are a few builds with passive radiators but around 12 liters link

About small subs, I built a Voxel Mini Sub (a Paul Carmody design) that has an F3 of around 35 hz in a 7 liters enclosure with a economical 5 inch driver (around 50 bucks from PE) and it rattled the windows of a small room with a cheap fosi audio amp link, it's laughably small when you have it in your hands but it does sound great

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure about the Epique, if I remember correctly there are a few builds with passive radiators but around 12 liters link

About small subs, I built a Voxel Mini Sub (a Paul Carmody design) that has an F3 of around 35 hz in a 7 liters enclosure with a economical 5 inch driver (around 50 bucks from PE) and it rattled the windows of a small room with a cheap fosi audio amp link, it's laughably small when you have it in your hands but it does sound great

7L is pretty small, but it's still almost twice the size that I have to fit in the space. 4L net is the max that will fit. There are some Tang Bands but they are US$90 for one small 6" pancake sub to ship and US$100 each. Part price is fine but that $90 shipping is robbery

I wonder if anyone had tried the Epique in really tiny boxes

I haven't tried the Epique but I see no reason not to use it in 4 liters sealed. You're a bit limited in power to full utilize it, but it still easily beats most other options. Venting (or PRs) isn't that beneficial in volume constrained speakers, you gain something like 2dB in max SPL in most cases and you still have to DSP it.

The Kartesian's are fantastic for their size too. You only need 1 liter per driver (sealed), or you could vent a single one to match a sealed Epique. I use them to 30Hz (with room gain) sealed on my desktop. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/compact-nearfield-waw.386857/page-3

................................You're a bit limited in power to full utilize it, but it still easily beats most other options. Venting (or PRs) isn't that beneficial in volume constrained speakers, you gain something like 2dB in max SPL in most cases and you still have to DSP it......................

The Kartesian's are fantastic for their size too. You only need 1 liter per driver (sealed), or you could vent a single one to match a sealed Epique. I use them to 30Hz (with room gain) sealed on my desktop. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/compact-nearfield-waw.386857/page-3

I have a 40wrms + 40wrms + 150wrms 2.1 amp that crosses at around 300hz and has a variable boost at 50hz. The satellite drivers are 40wrms FR with 1" VC and 1.4mm xmax in 1L sealed boxes. Target is a comfortable flat response of about 70db with a very good dynamic range response. The L+R amps and drivers can easily exceed that. I am not sure about the tiny subs though. I'll put the Epique, Kartesian and Tang Bands through Winisd but to be honest, I don't really know how to read all the results to tell how comfortable the driver is

Regarding the point that you raised about the sealed and vented. The reason for wanting vented is to the tone properties rather than raised output. I like the sound of the ported box

I have a 40wrms + 40wrms + 150wrms 2.1 amp
Are these ratings verified by any means? I would be very skeptical especially with combo boards unless it's from a reputable company :unsure:
Regarding the point that you raised about the sealed and vented. The reason for wanting vented is to the tone properties rather than raised output. I like the sound of the ported box
Right, the Epique and Tang Bands take closer to 10 liters in the usual vented alignments. With the E150HE in 3 liters (accounting for port volume) you're gonna have a tiny bit of hump around 100Hz and be almost -10dB down at 40Hz, but the variable boost might just be enough to make it work - it shouldn't make much of a difference in tone. The Kartesian (or similar smaller woofers) are bit more flexible in the sense that you can get a nice response without DSP.

The Epiques and Kartesians have Klippel verified excursion so they should be very comfortable in that sense. You might get more power out of the Epique if your amp can handle a 2ohm configuration.

Thank you for that, I'll ponder that a bit and do some modelling. This model (shown without back panel) is the max space available at 280.3mm x 204mm x 104mm. There is some space behind the driver location to fit a cup to the back panel for driver vent clearance. The port is tuned to 43hz. Net volume after taking out port and driver displacement is 4L. Internal volume is 4.7L

Box is 6mm wall thickness and no bracing, but the resonant frequency (jiggle frequency) of the assembled materials will be higher than 400hz as I am using FRP with balsa core and 200gsm biax glass skins. This surface can be further tensioned to lift the resonant frequency above the speakers range

Epique.jpg

I loaded up an old OEM design that can be customised to suit this project by someone from Alibaba. Not a cheap option but available in smaller batch of 10 suitable for my use, per unit the price will be around what it costs to buy the Epique which is cheapest $260 AUD delivered from an Australian shop called Wagner

The OEM driver seems to be able to deliver a flat response from 38hz and up. I have attached the winisd file if anyone can help check this for me. Power is set at a clean 150wrms available from my amp. The driver's voice coil is rated at over 300wrms, but I think that is for a much larger box. I don't really know enough about these things to make such calls. This OEM design was picked up by a couple of unknown car audio brands that came and went

Attachments

• Kitty Bass.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 41
Not getting very good Winisd results at 4L. Not sure how to apply a boost in the program to see if eq can lift 40hz to flat

See attached winisd file
You can add parametric EQ, something like Fc 40Hz, Q 2.0 and +8dB while lowering the high-pass a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about modeling it exactly flat as the in-room response will throw things off anyway

You can add parametric EQ, something like Fc 40Hz, Q 2.0 and +8dB while lowering the high-pass a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about modeling it exactly flat as the in-room response will throw things off anyway
I might be able to send test signals from software. I should have all the test equipment on hand to run a speaker program like REW

The OEM driver is looking promising too. I'll have to learn how to thoroughly test and measure this. I'll also try to kill it with a 1kwrms amp. Any tips on a better 4L test box?

One thing is that a sub's frequency cannot be flat over less than an octave, not possible. Get yourself a very compliant speaker and then tune it to the Fr you need by adding a little weight to the cone until it is where you need. Then design your box for that. I take it you will use an electronic cross-over with its own amp, which makes things even more flexible. If you use a miniDSP with it, you can basically do anything you want with the frequency response.

Personally, I won't use a bass reflex for a sub, the port can chuff a lot is such a small box and also sound very boomy. What I would do is make your speaker from cardboard and tune the crossover by ear using something like Equalizer APO to real music and ***** by ear where you need to fill in.

One thing is that a sub's frequency cannot be flat over less than an octave, not possible
Nico, thanks for the input. I don't know enough to understand this

Yes, an active 2.1 setup with a clean 40wrms + 40wrms + 150wrms as well as a clean 150wrms + 150wrms + 500wrms + 500wrms. Amps are from forum member Eric as well as a custom. Eric is talking about releasing a DSP module, so that should play nicely with the setup. I do prefer the EQ to be a set electronic circuit for this one

A good ported box sounds enjoyable to me, sounds a lot different from the same driver in a sealed box. Winisd is showing very little excursion in this box with 150wrms power and the target is a flat 40hz-300hz at around 70db daytime and a lot lower at night. Do you feel chuffing would be an issue at these levels? The ports will be slot ports

The driver will be here in around 4 weeks. I have lots of MDF offcuts in 16mm lying around to do three 4L net test boxes tuned 23hz, 33hz and 43hz

I have digital interfaces and a calibrated mic, hope you guys can help me measure and test this thing and point out any problems