Threshold NS10 Lineamp PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
apassgear said:

Oooooops Choky.... looks like a full amplifier... maybe good for pumpkins. Have you tested it?

I'm looking for something simple and better than the original which will preserve the spirit of the NS10. Holy grail? ... don't think so. :cool:

yes, I tested it ..... works as a charm,at least for me ;)

simple-just use my variant from these threads - with one darlington ;
use 317 as CCS instead of series resistor

simple and effective

Zen Mod said:

yes, I tested it ..... works as a charm,at least for me ;)

simple-just use my variant from these threads - with one darlington ;
use 317 as CCS instead of series resistor

simple and effective

Yes, as I said on my previous post a 317 will work well as a current limiter... and no, I wont use BJT for a pass or shunt reg it wil be a FET
:eek: it provides a higher Z out but is much more musical for a simple circuit with no CMR or a no FB one. ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
apassgear said:

Yes, as I said on my previous post a 317 will work well as a current limiter... and no, I wont use BJT for a pass or shunt reg it wil be a FET
:eek: it provides a higher Z out but is much more musical for a simple circuit with no CMR or a no FB one. ;)

then you use at least two stage shunt element something as mosfet darlington

:clown:

Re: Any NS10 clone finished??

mongosound said:
Will the NS10 drive an F4?
Are the last versions of the shunt and the preamp posted working?
I am about to finish my F4 and looking for a good preamp for it, NS10 looks like a good candidate.

Thank you!

Our friend Steen tested NS10+F4 with excellent results but the preamp is a bit shy of driving the amp to its full power, so you will have to look elsewhere. The Pumpkin was design with the F4 in mind so that one is a good starting point.

:cool:

The shuntreg, as shown on this thread, for NS10 was not used because it has some flaws which were not investigated further.

Gracias TONY!
I will give it a chance. The NS10 es un "clasico basico"! ;)
And later I will try the pumpkin. Viva el DIY!

Some questions, please.

a.- Is the pcb layout on post #48 & #54 the final version?
b.- Is the component without legend at the right of the LF351 on the layout a simple bridge?

c.- What PSU will you recomend for NS10?

mongosound said:
Gracias TONY!
I will give it a chance. The NS10 es un "clasico basico"! ;)
And later I will try the pumpkin. Viva el DIY!

Some questions, please.

a.- Is the pcb layout on post #48 & #54 the final version?
b.- Is the component without legend at the right of the LF351 on the layout a simple bridge?

c.- What PSU will you recomend for NS10?

Hi Mongo,
The PCB layout is on post 43 and 54 (pdf artwork) the schemo is shown on post 140.

Yes the component without designation is a Jumper.

The original NS10 has a single LM317 PSU regulator. You need to provide a low noise reg as minimum like the original.

Good luck with this project hermano it deserves at least a Tequila!!!
:cheers:

ns10 + F4

Unless your speakers are on the efficient side you will most likely want another 12+db gain. I'm have a bi-amped system with a 1977 NS10 with an active crossover before my F4. Sounds incredible. The phono stage has improved too - F4's jfet front end might have something to that.

-Mal

Re: Any NS10 clone finished??

mongosound said:
Will the NS10 drive an F4?
Are the last versions of the shunt and the preamp posted working?
I am about to finish my F4 and looking for a good preamp for it, NS10 looks like a good candidate.

Thank you!

The NS10 will drive a F4 for most practical purposes. As Tony said with excellent result. Unless you have hopelessly ineffecient speakers the NS10 will do fine. I have been driving the F4 with the (original) NS10 for quite some time and the combo is just great. The NS10 is by far the best "normal" preamp I used on the F4. Dont worry too much about the supply! The usual LM317 is pretty good indeed. I am aware that I made a lot of noise about the supply further upstream in this thread, but I tend to be pickin' a lot on the details that my ears try to communicate (to say the least:) )
Yep the NS10 is a true Classico, much better than most of todays offerings :cool:

Steen:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: Any NS10 clone finished??

steenoe said:

........ The usual LM317 is pretty good indeed. I am aware that I made a lot of noise about the supply further upstream in this thread, but I tend to be pickin' a lot on the details that my ears try to communicate (to say the least:) )
Yep the NS10 is a true Classico, much better than most of todays offerings :cool:

Steen:)

one day you can try it with Shunty

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
apassgear said:
If you read the thread you may find answers for those questions, anyway, here ya go....

The original circuit uses a LM317 regulated supply which seems to be good enough even by today standards.

Current draw is less than 20 mA per channel.

:)

pera451 said:
Sorry for posing the question, but I needed the answer real quick - when one is new on the forum, it takes some time to adapt and that amount of time I just did not have this time. But things will get better in time...

Thanks!

apass ........

be gentle - this is another serbian NS10 convert :clown:

besides - DIY greenhorn ;)

The NS10 seems to be a never ending story. We (Apassgear and I) have been working on a new supply for the NS10 for a while now. The supply is a shunt regulator (ofcourse) and the original circuit is here: Toole-regulator
Thanks a lot to Colin Toole for posting it in the first place. He deserves all credits for it.
The NS10 works very well with the new supply, and the frequency response seems to be flat, right into several MHz. Attached, you will find a graph of the response, derived from a series of measurements that we did. The "bump" you see at around 100kHz is only 4/100 of a volt. We didn't pursue to get rid of it yet, since it is such a small deviation. The response is only down at 1,92V reaching 2 MHz. The reference value being 2V. My function generator doesnt go any further, unfortunately.
The Toolereg maybe doesnt have the lowest OP impedance, but it counters by being flat up to very high freqencies. You can study the plots in the original thread.
An absolutely worthwhile addition to the NS10. I wont go rambling about how good it sounds with a shuntreg again.....

Attachments

• ns10_freq_response.jpg
    ns10_freq_response.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2,521
Here is a picture of the boards that Apassgear made the layout for. Very nice work.
Thanks a lot Tony, for agreeing to cooperate on this little project:)
The regulators are fed by a simple CLC raw supply. We have wound some small inductors, to knock down high freqency noise. The inductors are approx 22uH.

Attachments

• toole_shunt.jpg
    toole_shunt.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,985
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.