Threadjacking

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The main issue with lithium and rare earths is that they're not concentrated and you have to dig a lot to get a little

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-business/lithium-ore-nevada-major-deposit-electric-car/

Maybe we just haven’t looked hard enuff.

Just like NiCad batteries lithium batteries will be history and we’ll be using what comes next.

Here is both a storage solution and a way to still be able to use “petrol” engines. A significant amount of research is going into use of hydrogen (which we have lots of) in engines currently using petrol. It might revive my favorite engine, the rotary, Mazda is one of those doing such research.

Green hydrogen is produced from solar energy (alternatively wind energy or hydropower) by means of electrolysis. If required, the green hydrogen is converted back into electricity and heat by means of a fuel cell.

dave

Joined 2019
Paid Member
We are in an existential manmade crisis.
It depends what you mean by existential. Life on earth? Definitely not. Human life on earth? Unlikely. We're way too resilient and adaptable.

Which isn't to say we should do nothing, but one of the first casualties of crisis thinking is rationality. Mistakes get made and sometimes they're costly.

Crisis always makes me nervous...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah but it's expensive

Maybe we just haven’t looked hard enuff.

Just like NiCad batteries lithium batteries will be history and we’ll be using what comes next.

Here is both a storage solution and a way to still be able to use “petrol” engines. A significant amount of research is going into use of hydrogen (which we have lots of) in engines currently using petrol. It might revive my favorite engine, the rotary, Mazda is one of those doing such research.

Green hydrogen is produced from solar energy (alternatively wind energy or hydropower) by means of electrolysis. If required, the green hydrogen is converted back into electricity and heat by means of a fuel cell.

We are long past the point of no return, we will have to tech our way out if we wish to survive. If you don’t embrace the problem, you are part of the problem. We need to clean up out “litter” including the greenhouse gases caused by humans sucking ancient carbon out of the ground and putting it into the air. And all the microPlastics everywhere.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah but it's expensive, panels and batteries can run to $25k installed. Also of course it's effectiveness diminishes the further north you go. But yes. If you've got the sun and the money it's not a bad idea. Even in England :)

All technology is expensive at first, as we all know.
Could you afford the first telephone, cell phone, car, record player, calculator, computer, fiber network, etc. etc?
What about that Tek you lusted after in 1970? Of course not. What's the point of stating the obvious?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Let’s throw fusion into the mix. After being 35 years away for most of my life, it is getting close. There are fusion plants expecting to be putting power onto the grid by the end of the decade and being profitable within a decade after that. Even if it takes twice as long…

One in the UK if IIRC.

Likely never small enuff to put int he Delorean so we will still need batteries or hydrogen (use of hydrogen in airplanes in a very specific goal since trying to lift the weight of batteries off the ground means miniscule range (a battery powered plan in testing here now, the goal to be able to fly from Victoria harbour to Vancouver harbour (≈100 km).

dave

Last edited:
On-land wind farms in Scotland tend to be built on acidic land. The immense sub-ground level concrete foundations for the towers are quite alkaline and this alkaline content
leaches into the (usually wet) land eventually getting into the water table. This change will upset the whole ecology of each region.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On-land wind farms in Scotland tend to be built on acidic land. The immense sub-ground level concrete foundations for the towers are quite alkaline and this alkaline content
leaches into the (usually wet) land eventually getting into the water table. This change will upset the whole ecology of each region.

Sounds like bad engineering.

Concrete, as we know it, will also soon be history

dave

Speaking of less harmful energy the state of affairs has been thread-jacked! Most of this happens when no one speaks of efficiency and % of harmful byproducts. Now I am no scientist but I am pretty good at numbers. If someone states that a power plant puts out such an amount of CO2 in an hour. And then screams about how bad that is without providing efficiency of the plant we are left with the standardized test answer of "Not enough information." When a company touts there car as having such a range per charge but does not give efficiency the its the same. Speaking of EVs the damage done to the environment from the manufacturing of the cars doesn't seem to ever be in the brochures. I am not advocating either one but just giving the example of how the scientific / objective sides of the arguments have been thread-jacked. This seems to happen from most view points. Some real world examples might be cannabis, EVs, natural gas stoves, paper products. A lot of people think that paper comes from virgin forests. A lot of people will say it comes from tree farms, some tout that it is recycled. This is ok but without percentages and amounts of harmful products used per amount of product created. ( I'm thinking of bleach on this.) the discussions are moot and the real best solution can not be found.

rant gone sideways
Jeremy

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
One in the UK if IIRC
They just closed it, apparently it's gone as far as it can, and they're going to dismantle it to check how well it's held up. There's another project starting up in 2026 and of course there's that monster in France.

Small modular reactors show promise. Fission though. My view is that if we're serious about a climate emergency nuclear fission is our best bet here and now.