Attachments

• 3A88832A-8E23-4FC1-8216-054A707B6EF6.jpeg
    3A88832A-8E23-4FC1-8216-054A707B6EF6.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
seems like good news to me
Sorta is. Except they regularly use the plate value for these powering homes figures which implies continuous generation. But it isn't, offshore turbines generate roughly 35% of their plate value over the year, declining during their working lives.

So even with the wind farm they'll still have to fire up gas turbines to deal with calm days. Until we carpet several hundred acres with storage batteries.

This is all shaping up to be something of a disaster there's so much to do and people in power don't want to talk about it in case they frighten the proletariat.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Storage is a problem being solved
The problem is that often these solutions aren't shown to be deployable at scale or, use a significant portion of the energy being generated in the act of storing it.

We'll have to deploy enough storage to supply several days gwh and then generating capacity to both supply national demand and regenerate storage.

I don't see how we're going to meet those ambitious targets our politicians have been setting.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
The main issue with lithium and rare earths is that they're not concentrated and you have to dig a lot to get a little.

Environmentally they can be a disaster. Open cast mines, lots of water, lots of waste product to dispose of.

Lithium is often extracted from brines, there are old mines in Cornwall UK that may pumped because the water in them has enough lithium to make it viable.

There's a country in South America (forgotten which) with a large salt flats and the water below the flats is rich in lithium. But extraction is already causing environmental problems and dissent with locals.

You can have your own solar and battery storage.
As a matter of fact I lived offgrid for the last 10 months, but decided to get back on the power grid and natural gas grid because of the constraints of living and comfort when there is no sunlight or wind... it is a nice dream for most but not scalable to a whole population due to resource constraints -one needs 1000x the present lithium mining just to replace gas cars with lithium cars. Let alone the amount of rare earths needed to build huge windfarms...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do you think fracking can continue forever?

In my high school days, my dad (Gulf Oil Canada top engineer), told me about all of the petroleum products in the shale, how it was very difficult to extract and would have significnt side effects, one of the most glaring, but likely not the most deadly one, but now there are scores of small earthquakes in places they never happened before and they are really pushing the frackng.

We are in an existential manmade crisis.

dave

Reactions: 1 user