Thorsten's Valve Output Stage with TDA1541DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Just a quick one...

Konnichiwa,

Andypairo said:
Kuei, since a pair of Amplimo showed up in the trading post and I already have some E182CC, how would you rate this stage vs the original Adagio?

It is more transparent and detailed, but cannot drive cables or loads too well (the original Adagio was designed for a "DAC Shootout" where the volume control was a low impedance version of the Audio Synthesis Passion - worst case load around 2K).

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

quantran said:
Is the ECC189 tube suitable for used in a DAC buffer?

No.

quantran said:
I know it has a variable mu but some folk says that this kind of tube works fine in SRPP design. Is that correct?

"Works fine" is a matter of definition. I would not use this valve in audio.

Sayonara

Hi Sayonara,

I'm new in this forum, just read this post about your tube I/V stage for 1541. I'm interested in it, and I got some questions and hope you can help to answer..

Q1) You mentioned that IXYS HV Chip CCS, is it this one? High voltage current regulator. http://www.ixys.com/98703.pdf
Q2) If yes, what is the frequency response of this regulator? as it doesn't state in the datasheet. :confused:
Q3) Did you compare the performance between choke-loaded and CCS? which one is better?

Thanks! :) :)

Konnichiwa,

nothing said:
Q1) You mentioned that IXYS HV Chip CCS, is it this one? High voltage current regulator. http://www.ixys.com/98703.pdf

One like that.

nothing said:
Q2) If yes, what is the frequency response of this regulator? as it doesn't state in the datasheet. :confused:

Gary Pimm has a plut of this one on-line, looks pretty decent. Also, Pete Millet tested this one quite extensively, goole it.

nothing said:
Q3) Did you compare the performance between choke-loaded and CCS? which one is better?

Not specifically the IXYS one, but with other CCS circuits. I like chokes better but it is a question 50 Cent vs. 100 Bucks for CCS vs. Choke. If cost is no object, Tango TC-160-15 or the Stevens & Billington Anode Load choke I had designed for my own use or a suitable Magnequest article are the better choice.

Sayonara

HI,SAYONARA;)

I believe I know you from a Hongkong's audiophile magzine,which express your article for modify Phliips CD850.
.....I don't konw you can read Chinese or not ;)

http://www.hifidiy.net/dispbbs.asp?BoardID=2&id=9788&replyID=9788&star=4&skin=0
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

to the post topic
I have tried your I/V circuit which compose of RC filter and LC papallel resonate... I can not get excellent sound(may be I make a fault),worse than my Zanden's type B.E.F fiter,but my friend get the excellent sound from apply the 7 pole LC filter which from old Janpanese Cd player.

I feel that the reason is its filter effect is not enough.How do you think?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.hifidiy.net/dispbbs.asp?BoardID=2&id=4499&replyID=4499&star=9&skin=0

sayonara;)

X.G.

Konnichiwa,

X.G. said:
I believe I know you from a Hongkong's audiophile magzine,which express your article for modify Phliips CD850.

Nah, unless I'm being quoted without me knowing....

X.G. said:
I have tried your I/V circuit which compose of RC filter and LC papallel resonate... I can not get excellent sound(may be I make a fault),worse than my Zanden's type B.E.F fiter,but my friend get the excellent sound from apply the 7 pole LC filter which from Janpanese Cd player early.

Well, what sounds good in subjective, personal terms is a matter of taste. What I designed is for my own taste. And in the context of my own system and similar ones.

Non OS DAC's with minimal filtering can cause unfortunate interactions downstream (as can SACD Players BTW). Too many variables. If you can suggest the actual system context and so on....

But in the end, use what you like.

Sayonara

oh....the first time I know your name K. Y. Wang is in this magazine(not know you;) ...sorry for my mistake and poor English) about 10 years ago,the second time I know is on this Diyaduio forum one and a half years ago ...

'K. Y. Wang' look like a Chinese name which used often by Hongkong people ...so,I even think you are a Chinese before;)

good luck,sayonara;)

X.G.

Hi all,
I'm finally completing my DAC using the "ultimate" tube out suggested by Thorsten.

I have a doubt about the L in the sinc correction network, is a cored inductor suitable or do I need a air-cored one?

Could someone suggest a part number?

I repost the schematic:

Attachments

• dacout6im.gif
    dacout6im.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,296
RLC question

Hi Thorsten,
as always you have been very helpful.

But to pull your leg further I have another question.

The 47 nF specified for the capacitor that goes paralleled to the R+RLC network shows, at a quick simulation of the impedance, something wrong.

Did I miss to see the decimal point? With a 4,7 nF the impedance seems more reasonable for a anti-sinc filter...

PS the overall impedance of the network seems a tad high for the specified compliance of the TDA1541A. Did you find this value to be a good compromise between useful signal amplitude and linearity of the current sources?

Cheers

Andrea

Attachments

• impedance.jpg
    impedance.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,175
Re: RLC question

Konnichiwa,

Andypairo said:
The 47 nF specified for the capacitor that goes paralleled to the R+RLC network shows, at a quick simulation of the impedance, something wrong.

Did I miss to see the decimal point? With a 4,7 nF the impedance seems more reasonable for a anti-sinc filter...

I think you are right. I need to check.

Andypairo said:
the overall impedance of the network seems a tad high for the specified compliance of the TDA1541A. Did you find this value to be a good compromise between useful signal amplitude and linearity of the current sources?

Yes.

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Andypairo said:
So, even if theoretically possible, halving this impedance and using a triode with doubled mu respect to the E88CC (EC88 comes to mind) won't bring much in your opinion?

I suspect it may not bring much except measured performance at digital full scale.... But if you want to try, why not?

Sayonara

Sings sweetly...

Hi all,
I completed my tube stage and it really sings.

The only difference from Thorsten's indications is the plate voltage, that is somewhat lower than the 70-75V expected.
Upping the current to 15mA/tube I get to 60-65V, not really a problem but worth mentioning.

Here is a pic of it (most of the components of the I/V stage are wired P2P on the underside of the board)

Cheers

Andrea

Attachments

• miodacpedja.jpg
    miodacpedja.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,225
Re: Sings sweetly...

Konnichiwa,

Andypairo said:
The only difference from Thorsten's indications is the plate voltage, that is somewhat lower than the 70-75V expected.
Upping the current to 15mA/tube I get to 60-65V, not really a problem but worth mentioning.

My numbers are for a "bogey" 6DJ8, the 6922 and 7308 et al will differ enough to throw the numbers out a little. The Choke loaded version would simply let the circuit find it's own right current.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.