Thorens 125 MK1. Help me please repair this PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Also I tried to repair the same PCB but with the 2 bridges (see 1st page).
Here is another problem. All ecaps changed by me. Everything is also checked.
On this PCB the buld is not working and I have:
C2 - R9 - 166mV
C2 - R10 - 690mV

t4 B-E 0.44V
T4 B-C 0.31V

Bl motor pot - C2 - 0.19V
Bl motor pot - C3 - 0.19V

What is dead here?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Cracked and glued ;) Yep, that's hidden history all right :)

If you are sure the board is OK (check check and check again and also prod and poke the board to make sure there is no hidden crack or problem joint) then I would mark the position of the pots and try adjusting them slowly. You can always set them back to where they were if it makes no difference. Try adjusting R17 a little. Its possible the settings are motor dependent... different motor... different settings.

If that's no good and the problem is consistent, that is to say it works for a minute or so when cold and then goes faulty, then careful use of freezer spray might be useful.

Try adjusting first though. Alter the presets one at a time and slowly and see what they do.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Also I tried to repair the same PCB but with the 2 bridges (see 1st page).
Here is another problem. All ecaps changed by me. Everything is also checked.
On this PCB the buld is not working and I have:
C2 - R9 - 166mV
C2 - R10 - 690mV

t4 B-E 0.44V
T4 B-C 0.31V

Bl motor pot - C2 - 0.19V
Bl motor pot - C3 - 0.19V

What is dead here?

R10 should have the full supply voltage on it if its the same basic circuit as the one we are working to here.

So that fault sounds like broken print. Confirm the supply voltage is OK across C2 and C3 and then just trace the print to R10.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You say in post #99 that it now works for a little while before doing strange things. That gives you something to work to... is it temperature related, some part heating and breaking down. That is where freezer spray would be useful. Make sure there is no volt drop across sections of print as measured end to end with it all powered up and working. That might show a hidden break.

I'm sorry I've no magic answer :) and its difficult without having the unit in front of me to get a feel for what its doing.

Look. There ara voltages that are printed on the board? How to check it?

Attachments

• pcb3.jpg
    pcb3.jpg
    801.5 KB · Views: 96
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Look at the picture in post #1

If you have no voltage on R10 then you should measure from its source at C3 and then go along the print all the way to R10. If there is no voltage on C3 then check the print back to the bridge and so on. If there is a break in the print then there will be a volt drop across it (like a broken wire).

It looks like you are getting some superb expert advice from Mooly here.

I don't want to knock you off track but here's my top tips:

I've got two TD125's and on both the PCB had hairline cracks which needed repairing. On one the crack was almost invisible and I only found it by checking for continuity with a multimeter. I had to replace the transistors on one also, they get rather hot and I don't think they're terribly reliable.

Also check and check again the contacts on the speed selector switch. I bit of deoxit would be good on these and while you're at it flush the fine speed adjuster through with contact cleaner.

Persevere, the TD125 is a superb turntable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.