Thorens 125 MK1. Help me please repair this PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
R10 should be at the supply voltage, that's OK.

R9 should not and that means that voltage is coming from either T1, T3 or T6. That doesn't mean they are all faulty, but there is a good chance at least one of them is.

Try this. If you now remove T1 and T3 then there is no route for the supply voltage to reach R9 and the voltage on R9 should fall. Does it ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Now I have 49V to R10 and 2.5-4V to R9. It's very unstable and the bulb is blinkikg

That sounds reasonable actually. The bulb and oscillator wont work correctly with the transistors removed but its not that we are testing here.

It looks like there is definitely a problem around those two removed transistors.

Refitting just T1 shouldn't change what you are seeing now. So I would do that... and use one of your replacements. Don't fit T3 just yet. Recheck the volts on R9 first and if its still OK (low) then fit a replacement for T3. Now test R9 voltage again. It still should be low. If it is then we can think about trying it all out again.

One step at a time :)

I've to go out so it will be a few hours before I look in again.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
T1 is BC171B. Could I use BC147A or BA147B instead of it?

Yes, but make sure you get the pin outs correct.

T1 replaced with the BC147B. Voltage on R9 is 4-7V.

I think we have to accept that as OK as long as you are 100% sure T1 is good and fitted correctly. It isn't as low as I would have thought given that the motor is disconnected.

Refitted T3 and it's 45V on the R9 again!

And this result is with T5 still out of circuit. If so then T3 is definitely faulty and/or C7 is breaking down under voltage and turning T3 on.

With T5 removed, fitting T3 should make no difference to the voltage on R9.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Something is happening around there :)

With T5 removed all we have is R19 (8k2) across the base/emitter junction of T3. That means T3 is off, it is non conducting. So the voltage you see on R9 should be the same whether T3 is fitted or not.

The working simulation confirms that would be the case to.

Attachments

• With T3.PNG
    With T3.PNG
    109.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Without T3.PNG
    Without T3.PNG
    109.5 KB · Views: 79
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.