This little driver seems to outperform everything else!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am very, very interested in brsanko's work. I can see everyone -is- trying to be helpful, and there are lots of misunderstandings, and tempers will flare.

My feeling is that brsanko's work is going to have very interesting results, but we're seeing things in the early stages. In my opinion, it would be great if we could have a thread for his work but without the controversial / heated debate that gets tempers going.

I totally agree. theres nothing wrong with showcasing a design. I encourage it, but dont assume because the sim tells you its a perfect design, that it is. thats all. thats all it is at the moment though, a design. A design is a work in progress or a finalised design. critique is used to refine from initial design to final. you know this, and i dont like explaining to you as if you need help, because i do not intend to offend. if it works exactly as hornresp, or better then great! but dont announce success before youve actually built it.

Besides....If you have a credible design, why share it before youve at least covered it? someone else could just do the same as you intend, and sell them to others.

build it, try it, listen to it, measure it and post what you find on here. i for one would love to see the end result

This is my first (and only) contribution to this thread. I really don't wish to get involved. However.

Brsanko -something for you to think about. You have repeatedly made statements about your intention of going commercial (on this thread & elsewhere IIRC), marketing complete systems, engaging in sales etc. If you truly believe in what you are saying so vehemently, I suggest that you stop talking about it, and start doing. You will not become a manufacturer of expensive loudspeakers by posting a handful of hornresp models on a forum, above all one where you clearly hold the majority of fellow members in contempt.

So get on with it. Get out there & find yourself some backers who are willing to provide initial capital for your new company. Write a business plan. Be proactive. Approach banks, support agencies for small businesses, investigate possible development funds, talk to existing small companies (e.g. furniture makers) who may be glad of a new direction to take their business. Contact Tang Band to ensure availability of these drive units for a reasonable time to come, and / or the possibility of an OEM run of drive units modified to your specifications. Talk to lawyers who will advise you on the legal standing of your discoveries. Thus far, on the basis of a quick skim-reading of the thread, I confess I haven't actually seen any discoveries, other than that you like hornresp's predictions of these drive units in various back-horns and compound horn variations that you have been working on and / or itterating, but a trained professional in intellecutal property rights is what you require on that score.

Last edited:
This is my first (and only) contribution to this thread. I really don't wish to get involved. However.

Brsanko -something for you to think about. You have repeatedly made statements about your intention of going commercial (on this thread & elsewhere IIRC), marketing complete systems, engaging in sales etc. If you truly believe in what you are saying so vehemently, I suggest that you stop talking about it, and start doing. You will not become a manufacturer of expensive loudspeakers by posting a handful of hornresp models on a forum, above all one where you clearly hold the majority of fellow members in contempt.

I'd resolved myself to offer not another grain of input on this thread but +1.....well said.

Another here who has not been involved in this thread as I do not believe I have the expertise to contribute meaningfully to the technical arguments. However, I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with the previous four posts.
To start talking to lawyers and banks about setting up a company seems a little premature. If the design had been met with a warmer reception maybe, but from brsanko's perspective; he has departed from the norm a little and come up with a design that seems to perfom well from his simulations. Understandably eager to show others this possibility it has been presented here and met with considerable scepticism (rightly or wrongly). From that position it is (emotionally if nothing else) quite difficult to take big steps towards production of the units.
Even producing a prototype of this design is quite a daunting endevour as far as I'm concerned. But that does seem to be what's needed as a next step.
I myself have at my disposal the facilities to make such a prototye, but not the time or money to do so. If I can do in the next few months/years I would love to, as I think the design has merit and if the results are as good as brsanko's expectations then the whole community will have benefitted from his efforts.
Of course the likelyhood of ANY design being universally accepted as outperforming everything else is negligable. But I'd love to see it happen ;)
Scottmoose; I am not intending to drag you into this and I doubt I'll post to this thread again myself, there is no obligation to reply. These are just my thoughts and I maintain total respect for your expertise and others who share their opinions and knowledge on these forums so graciously and freely.:)

Late 2 cents of observations:

:magnify:

b:)

Attachments

• OD_not_ND.JPG
    OD_not_ND.JPG
    732.3 KB · Views: 182
Two questions.

1. It looks like you used a positive path length difference. Should this be negative based on the text in program, the driver is closer to the listener then the horn's mouth.

2. Why is 1 x pi space used? Should it be 2 x pi? The floor is the only boundary touching the horn mouth.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thank you for posting important observations/questions.
1.You are right, I forgot to enter a minus sign when entering the path length difference.
2.I changed the OP:s original (=Input screen in post# xx) 0.5 x pi Space Angle to1.0 x pi only to eliminate the HR message: = Cir> 1 for S5 but didn't reflect further on the consequences of the implied boundary load: If to perform well, these speakers should not be pushed to close to any reflecting wall (1.0 x pi) but stay away using distances similar to a good OB speaker system setup(2.0 x pi).

I will update and try tomorrow post a new corrected picture in accordance with your remarks.

b :)

I don't quite understand the benefit of using small drivers for lower frequencies. building all this rear horn monstrosity just to get bass equivalent to mid sized woofer in bass reflex box?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think you need to keep in mind that this is the full range forum. So the objective is to produce adequate bass from an enclosure to augment both the single driver's falling SPL response and make up for the baffle step loss at low frequenices. So a so called back loaded horn enclosure design with room boundary reinforcement is the objective. Getting the cabinet internals right (the transition from TL behavior to horn behavior) and using the correct spacial assumption (0.5, 1, 2, or 4 pi space) are the key questions.

Martin

brsanko...Send me your finalized sax plans. I will build a pair for you if you do not have the resources, physical ability or money to do so. I can imagine the frustration of having a design and not having the resources to get it built.

I have built three of Scott's Frugal Horn designs, three different Nagaoka designs, a few front horns and several open baffles. I'm no stranger to being a test pilot. I believe I was the first to build Scott's Saburo design, based on faith in Scott alone.

I've also posted my own Fostex full range driver front horn design on youtube after building it. So if you haven't already moved on, don't want to go the commercial route, send me a PM and we can collaborate on making your dream a reality.

brsanko...Send me your finalized sax plans. I will build a pair for you if you do not have the resources, physical ability or money to do so. I can imagine the frustration of having a design and not having the resources to get it built.

I have built three of Scott's Frugal Horn designs, three different Nagaoka designs, a few front horns and several open baffles. I'm no stranger to being a test pilot. I believe I was the first to build Scott's Saburo design, based on faith in Scott alone.

I've also posted my own Fostex full range driver front horn design on youtube after building it. So if you haven't already moved on, don't want to go the commercial route, send me a PM and we can collaborate on making your dream a reality.

now that kids is what we call the spirit of DIY samaritism - brsanko, if you're not still sulking in a corner, at least privately respond to this most gracious offer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.