This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mad_K said:
I also seem to recall someone on this board saying that you loose bandwith as you up the gain, -> could someone more learned please comment on this?

Yes. Your starting point is your open loop bandwidth, which might be no more than 10 Hz or so. The more feedback that's applied, the greater the bandwidth. Of course the converse is true. For a given level of feedback, as you reduce feedback, you reduce bandwidth.

Typically as long as you keep your gain under 100 (40dB), you'll have plenty of bandwidth.

se

preamp

Thanks for all the replies. How about an opamp based preamp? It seems as though a gainclone can be built compact enough (save the power supply) that I can put both channels and preamp into one unit to exclude the cabling from preamp to amp. I know this doesn't sound "High end" because it is just basically an integrated amp. But, so what. I think that as long as enough attention is paid to detail it should (stressed should) come out alright. I am thinking about BoSoZ unbalanced. But because it is designed for balanced input and output then why not just go for an opamp based solution? However, I'd like my preamp to run class A. Or maybe just forget it and build SOZ and BoSoZ.

Any suggestions?

Vic

Re: Another question

vic said:
Is it OK to use a steel case for an amp? If not is it because of possible magnetic inductance that can influence adjacent circuitry?

That would be the main technical objection. Steel is ferromagnetic and doesn't magnetize/demagnetize linearly. How significant it would be for such a relatively small piece of steel is debatable.

If nothing else, steel rusts and as we all know, rust never sleeps. :)

se

Is it OK to use a steel case for an amp?

Another reason why it may not be a good thing is that it would have to be well-damped to stop it 'ringing'.

I should imagine that being such a physically small amplifier, the Gainclone needs very careful housing and this has been shown to be the case by PD's experiments, both with casings and the method used to support the amp.

Some people try and avoid any type of metallic enclosure and the Gainclone would be easy to put in a plastic case with just some copper/aluminium foil for shielding. Of course, you will always have a metallic heatsink!

I'll Try These Things Oneday....

Peter Daniel said:
Normally, I always use either beryllium oxide or aluminum oxide (for Europe;)). In this amp I used a piece of double coated Kapton sheet, because the metal backing on a chip was wider and I wanted to use the whole contact area.

Needless to say, I changed the wiring for copper and silver plated copper plus I changed the insulating pad for aluminum oxide and the sonic character of the amp changed. It is very similar in tonality to LM based GC, but with a promise of a cleaner sound and more resolution. I have to play it more, to pass any conclusive opinion.;)

Hi Peter, I have experimented with differing insulators and found differing sonic characters also.
Heatsink paste is another consideration too.

If you lap both heatsink surfaces on very fine wet'and'dry on a sheet of thick glass, you can get very prcisely flat surfaces, and then no need for heatsink paste, or make your own from 'nice' ingredients.

Another experiment I intend to try is to mount the ouput devices directly to a block of copper or silver, that is then insulatively mounted to the main heatsink mass, ala one of Grahams mounting arrangements.
This I fully expect will cause substantial change to overall sonic character.

It is notable that Denon used a thin sheet of copper between the output transistors and insulation/heatsink in one of their monoblock amplifiers.
I would also try silver or gold foil between the device and the copper mounting block as a further experiment, and I fully expect that this would alter sonics too.

If you try this please tell us of your results.

Eric.

Have you tried valve springs yet ?

Nuuk said:
Another reason why it may not be a good thing is that it would have to be well-damped to stop it 'ringing'.

That would apply to virtually every metal you'd likely make a chassis out of, not just steel.

I should imagine that being such a physically small amplifier, the Gainclone needs very careful housing and this has been shown to be the case by PD's experiments, both with casings and the method used to support the amp.

As far as mechanical vibration issues are concerned, it's small size works to its advantage. The smaller size means any resonances will be much higher in frequency, where there's less energy to bring about vibration in the first place. Also, the higher the frequency of the resonance, the easier it is to damp.

Some people try and avoid any type of metallic enclosure and the Gainclone would be easy to put in a plastic case with just some copper/aluminium foil for shielding. Of course, you will always have a metallic heatsink!

PLASTIC!?!?! Yecccch! :)

se

a bit like this:

it is quite sturdy and i am quite proud of it as it is the first case i have made - unfortunatly it has no back and front as they were cut too small.

this was made from 2mm thick aluminum as 3mm is quite rare and thus more expensive

Attachments

• ampcase.jpg
    ampcase.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,069
its not done yet - i plan to mount the amplfiers to the back - unfortunatly these were cut 20mm too short so i cannot do anything yet - should all be done by friday though

it should sound good though it uses;

MUR820 Diodes
300va transformer
dual LM3875 amps
Elna RSH 1000uf capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.