This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I would like to say that when we compared my leach amp and Jordan's gainclone with normal cds and the difference was not nearly as noticable. I don't know if this is the lack of cd quality of my scd-ce775 player, but when we put in the sacds, the difference stood out. I was suprised how much better the soundstage/imaging was on the gainclone. The bass was pretty much the same, but the upper range was more open.

We also compared the Rolling stones sacd (it is a hybrid cd). We compared both layers, and there is a noticible difference.

We also compared speakers, and my Seas Thor TL speakers really bring out the detail.

--
Brian

EDIT: I should have read Jordan's post more clearly.. I just realised that I essentially repeated what he wrote...

don't know if shipping is free for europe or not. should be, i think. [/B]

Shipping seems to be free for Europe. I got mine in three days, through Singapore, no shipping fee, no customs.

Afterwards I got an e-mail from N Semi to explain what I was going to do with the chips, and a week later a telephone call with the same questions.

Marc

trannies GC 3 channels

I'm building a three channel CG for cinema add-on. LM3875T. I've got all the parts. I use this circuit except no pots. Same case for PSU and amps.

My initial plan was to use one toroid 300VA 25+25 I have to power two channels and a then buy another 160VA 25+25 to power the third channel. I use two bridges per channel.

But what would happen (output power, performance) if I used only the 300 VA toroid for all three channels in our opinion? Would that not be adviceable?

My room is very small, speakers are efficient and I don't play loud when I do cinema, so I was thinking about this...

What's your opinion ?

zeno said:

Shipping seems to be free for Europe. I got mine in three days, through Singapore, no shipping fee, no customs.

Afterwards I got an e-mail from N Semi to explain what I was going to do with the chips, and a week later a telephone call with the same questions.

Marc

And what did you answer (that goes for everyone that has ordered samples) on that question??

If I say I will build up an amp for personal purposes - is that OK (cause exactely that is what I would like to do).

Oh - can I order different pairs - eg: LM1875; LM1876; LM3875 with same order??

Thanks

They remain in business because people use their parts.
That`s why they give away free samples, to get more people to use their parts.
If one of those 100 diyer`s circuit goes to production LM has reach their goal with the samples program.

But don`t order more samples than you can use, no need to keep a big stock...

And of course you are not alowed to resell the samples, or make a profit on the product you use the samples in...

Stabist said:

And what did you answer (that goes for everyone that has ordered samples) on that question??

If I say I will build up an amp for personal purposes - is that OK (cause exactely that is what I would like to do).

Oh - can I order different pairs - eg: LM1875; LM1876; LM3875 with same order??

Thanks

I told them that I was going to build an active monitor. Which I was planning to do and that it was non professional use. They didn't mind.
I think it is best to be honest and to order only a few samples. I ordered 4, if I blow one or two, I can still build a stereo amp.

I dumped the active monitor idea by now. It is going to be a non inverted stereo version.

I thing you can order diferent types but the website guides you through the process. If I am not mistaken, you always start on a screen with a certain type of chip. So I guess yo will have to order again if you want another type of chip.

Marc

Thanks!

Well - I am honest - the idea of different ones was just because I would like to compare different GC between themselfs ...

Oh - you can order even more than two - 4 pcs of eg. LM 3875 :D - even better - that way I could build up two GC - one for me and one for my girlfriend :D

Okay, I'm sick of you guys getting all the action.. I AM GOING TO MAKE A GAINCLONE!!! one like no other.... one, that will not only be a work of art, but also one that works.. lol Only prob, is where to I start.. :rolleyes: hmm, a case, a case.... a box... a shoe box? hmm, no, not a shoe box... a... a.... a box make from aluminium? hmm... a good box, a nice box, AN ARTY BOX!!! A round box? made on a lathe?? hmm... and a heatsink too.. :) no, not a round box.... a cube?? hmm... I want a small box... O wonder if you could make a gainclone the size of a match box... freeze it in a block of ice to run it... THERES NOTHING!! NOTHING!! here in Australia to use for a box... a Kangaroo? hmm, no.. I LAWNMOWER ENGINE!!!! YEAH!!!

Re: sound testing

JordanG said:

.. Also, I don't know who's been having problems getting bass out of their gainclone, but I thought it handled bass extremely well.

I am one of them. How can I tell? I don’t have any other amps at my house to AB compare than just one JLH class A amp I built. This is how I would describe the difference of reproducing bass:
Listening for variety of records of different music and stiles I can discern: that piano chords of lower octaves don’t have that authority you usually feel by listening live piano; contrabass and bass guitar fades too much behind the rest of the band and makes it hard to follow. Cello and also guitars don’t have that full-bodied character and makes you believe that musicians are using cheap instruments. Low registers of horns aren’t reverberant enough, making them breathless and screaming sounding.
Percussionists are like fondling their drums instead of beating or driving.
And I haven’t described how certain well acknowledged male and female voices can sound like cheap pub singers.
Those are the same effects you can monitor if the loudspeakers don’t have baffle loss correction.
I have LM3875 inverting, so-called minimal parts clone: 10k pot, 4,7uF Wima MKS input cap, two feedback resistors (metal film) 1000uF Nichicon low impedance PS smoothing caps, one 250VA trafo.

argo

As already mentioned, I do second that what Argo is reporting.
I was expecting much by the inverted chipamp, but was disappointed somehow.
Yes the bass is there, there is no roll-off, but it does not have the same authority than necessary.
I used FRAKO elcaps and carbon resistors, and a 47yF Nichicon Muse input NP elcap.
For me still the non-inverted one with the same components (diff. values) sound better indeed.
That is quite confusing for me. Do only Panasonic caps sound good ?

And, Peter, can you give a me an adress where I can find small Blackgates (the cute red caps you are using, or does BG mean something different) ?

Klaus

ps: Please, let us stop calling the inverted amp a "clone" or "gainclone", it is not a clone, nor has it even been one, it is not even a twin, more a brother (or sister). I would rather call it a "chimp", but, alas, that is another animal...

SkinnyBoy said:
Max 5 per week, but if you order more before that order goes through, then you can order 10+ BUT I don't like the idea of getting samples.... even though I am a student.... I know of a few HUNDRED people on different forums that request samples from National... THEY ARE GOING TO GO OUT OF BUSINNESS!! if you ask me... :)

Skinnyboy, NS is a major company and the samples are cheap (for them), we don't talk about P4 chips...

NS can afford lot's of samples...... It's a good way to get promotion.

peranders said:

Skinnyboy, NS is a major company and the samples are cheap (for them), we don't talk about P4 chips...

NS can afford lot's of samples...... It's a good way to get promotion.

Yeah, I know, I know... I have gotten a few samples from them in the past, and from coilcraft, renco components, maxum, gowanda, umm... I think thats it... ohh, and somewhere else, I forget now... I also got a 40X4 character LCD screen as a sample, being a student and all, it was quite easy.. :rolleyes: Now, I buy my stuff.... or just don't make anything... but not making anything isn't as fun.. :)

The cute red Blac Gates caps I'm using (4.7u N type, non polar) can be obtained from http://www.percyaudio.com/ for about $5. Also Partsconnexion.com carries them as well. The input pot in my implementation is 50k. Maybe this value has something to do with sound? I used 100k on my other amp without BG input caps and it doesn't sound magical, if you know what I mean.;)

The bass is nothing to complain about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.