Thinking about Pi 7 kit..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The free version of ARTA would work fine, although Holmimpulse or REW might be easier to get started with (and you can share the entire measurement file with those, which could speed up getting assistance). The easiest and quite possibly most valuable thing for troubleshooting would be an impedance measurement graph for the whole speaker, though. Any chance the equipment you purchased can do that? Measuring a large 3-way corner horn isn't super easy.

If you have Eminence Delta 10:s for mids you are missing a coil. There should be 1.0mH there where you have jumper wire.
I propably would tear the whole parts off from the board and then solder point to point and looking carefully the crossover schematics which includes correct drivers. DE250 , DELTA 10 ( not Alpha 10) and 2226. These are the drivers that you are using? Am i correct?
Sometime you can overtight the driver / frame and it bends. Then the voice coil are "stuck" and the midrange is awful... yes, i have done that myself :)
I hope you found the problem.
Br,
na

Just to make sure:

-JBL 2226H woofers reversed polarity
-Eminence Delta 10 mid woofer original polarity
-B&C DE250 reversed polarity

Like that, but ONLY when the L2 coil for the Delta 10 is used.

...i can easily see if these are done mistakenly wrong because you can use different woofers, midwoofers and tweeters.

Br,
na

na: Wayne has not said anything about a missing coil, but he did confirm that "L2 present" means the jumper wire and indeed I needed to reverse polarity.
I did that last night and I can hear vocals much better but something is still very wrong.
You might be on to something about over tightening the mid driver.. I did have it very tight the first time.
Also, I bought the XO's pre assembled from Wayne.
And you are correct about my driver selection.
Thank you for your help!

Did Wayne send you schematics for Pi7?

I have the schematics(revision: february 11, 2008) and there it is just like i said. I can send you the schematics, i believe Wayne don't mind because you have bought already a lot of stuff for the Pi:s! :)
No problem about helping, i am as excited your project as you are :)

(btw, english not my native so ignore if there is mistakes in my writing)

I also have Waynes boards but i think i will not use those because honestly, they confuse me!
I understand the schematics better than the board :)

Just try some cheap 1.0mH coil just there where it should be and measure the crossover that it is inline with the schematics.

Afterall we are just humans and we make mistakes, even Wayne :)
But i have to say Wayne is great dude. Very professional and helpful.

Soldered in the coil and they sound much better now.
And they did have the Delta 10s, the XO was built for the Alphas.
The speakers were fine as well. Head to head outside the box against new the originals sounded better than the new.
I have to seal up the access panels a bit still but they sound much better.
I would not call them audiophile quality but I think I can get used to them for home theater.
Been playing with Yamahas YPAO and DSP a bit and that helps a bunch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.