Things We Hate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Exactly. I think Peckerwood was probably referring to slot rather than flathead. From the days when the slot was cut rather than drop forged. And the only one that works with a dime in a pinch.

Far and away the #1 screw head here in Canada.

A slotted screw is driven with a 'standard' screwdriver - nit picking but that is the true name.

Probably WAY more Philips drive screws driven in Canada, as they make drywall screws with this type of drive. There is probably more drywall being screwed on than fences and decks (and other uses for Robbie drive screws) being built.

A slotted screw is driven with a 'standard' screwdriver - nit picking but that is the true name.

Yes John, we were referring to the post by Peckerwood where we think he was referring to the slot rather than the flathead head.

Probably WAY more Philips drive screws driven in Canada, as they make drywall screws with this type of drive. There is probably more drywall being screwed on than fences and decks (and other uses for Robbie drive screws) being built.

Yes, thank you for that. A perfect reason for a Phillips head. I had forgotten about drywall screws.

The Hate/Annoy list is far too long for me to write here.........One that stands out, perhaps Sad, and not hate........hate is so extreme.
I feel so sad when my teenage son tells me "Turn that music down its too loud!!" Then he "jams out" to an episode of "Glee" on the computer.

_____________________________________________________Rick...........

I hate slotted and standard screws. I thought they were called flathead screws but I stand corrected. I have injured myself many times messing with them because the screwdriver can slip out of the slot so easily. They are not so bad if they are loose but when you have to put a lot of muscle into them they are dangerous as well as a pain in the butt.

Another thing I hate is the todays dictionaries. They change their definitions based on the way people improperly use words. They didn't use to do that. I remember it taking a couple of hundred years before they put "aint" in the dictionary. We were expected to go by the dictionary. Now it is the other way around. People abuse the language and they modify the dictionary to suit them.

If you don't believe me look up some words that you already know the definition of and I bet you will find a lot that have changed since last time you checked. The definition of racist has changed at least 20 times in the last 30 years. It used to be you had to do something to be a racist but mow all you have to do is recognize that there is a difference between races.

One example. Nauseous always has been a word but never meant the same thing as nauseated. Nauseated was the way you felt and nauseous was whatever caused you to feel that way (like bad food or whatever). People misused it and then the dictionaries added the new definition and it is usually the first one shown. That is ********. How are we supposed to use the language correctly when the dictionary keeps changing?

I hate being battery powered on an island and discovering that its the CQ worldwide vhf DX contest and only a dipole. But that is my fault, and easy to fix.

It could be worse. What if you were stranded on that island during the worldwide VHF DX contest with nothing but an 11 meter radio during the peak of the 11 year cycle?

I hate when you diet and excercise and your weight doesn't well track your effort. Tuesday I had a big greasy burger with cheese fries for lunch and pizza for dinner, and missed my workout. Got on the scale Weds morning... lost weight. Wednesday I had very light soup 'n salad, some fruit and almonds, and generally ate very healthy, worked out... slight increase this morning.

'taint fair!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.