Thermistor removal from crossover rebuild?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your schematic does not make sense, could you post clear photos of crossover pcb both sides so I can derive the schematic please.

Thanks.

I carefully made note of all the wiring vs driver connections on the Loudspeaker which is still intact.

Here are photos of the crossover which was removed from the second cabinet.

Wires:

Binding posts Brown + Caramel -
Woofer Red wire + Black wire -
Tweeter White + Grey -
Mid range Green + Blue -

It is possible that someone has disturbed the polarity by mixing the connections.

Both boxes were wired identically.

Green can is 2.2 μF
Purple can is 3.3 μF
Resistor is 18 Ohm
Blue Thermistor is PTC C995

thanks guys.

Attachments

• jamo x1.jpg
    jamo x1.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 86
  • jamo x2.jpg
    jamo x2.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 71
  • jamo x3.jpg
    jamo x3.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 68
  • jamo x4.jpg
    jamo x4.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 74
  • jamo x5.jpg
    jamo x5.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 66
  • jamo x6.jpg
    jamo x6.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 39
I agree that the schematic isn't correct, but at does suggest that the protection circuit is a C955 PTC in parallel with an 18 ohm resistor.

The combination may be attenuating as well as protecting the squacker/tweeter.

Hi.

If it's incorrect, It's possible that someone has terminated the drivers incorrectly.

Both boxes were wired identically.

Do you think I have a polarity issue on my hands?

Let's wait till the schematic is redrawn neatly.

P.S. When are you going to measure the resistance of the PTC?

Hi.

Before doing the resistance test, I measured 2 newly purchased Resistors to ensure my Tester is accurate.

100 ohm resistor read 100.8 ohms

2 ohm resistor read 2 ohms

After settling down from 1.6 ohms, the C955 PTC Thermistor read 1.3 ohms

Is this what we were looking for?

So, the PTC resistance is 1.3 ohm and not the rated resistance of 13 ohm stated on the TDK spec sheet.

That is certainly more in line with the low resistance I expected at the outset of this thread, in fact I expected it to be only a small fraction of an ohm!

This thread has provided a great opportunity to learn more about these devices!

Here's an excellent guide: PTC thermistor - Positive Temperature Coefficient >> Resistor Guide

P.S. Looking forward to Ric's redraw of the crossover circuit. :cool:

Thanks

Couldn't have had a more professional appraisal and recommendation.

Blown away.

With these speakers, I'm waiting on the foam surrounds to arrive so I can refoam the Woofers, so I've never listened to them.

Being impatient, on my first restoration (Sound Dynamics) I jumped right in and altered everything without a gradual change.

Your suggestion is far better as it will give me an appreciation of changes with most impact and the subtleties which can be achieved, not to mention backward steps.

I'll also line the boxes with insulation material, something lacking at the moment.

Hopefully I'll be able to get these speakers to a competent enjoyable listening level.

I'll take it all in a number of times to make sure I understand your instructions.

Was my drawing accurate and did you find a polarity issue with the current wiring?

thanks

Cliff

So, the PTC resistance is 1.3 ohm and not the rated resistance of 13 ohm stated on the TDK spec sheet.

That is certainly more in line with the low resistance I expected at the outset of this thread, in fact I expected it to be only a small fraction of an ohm!

This thread has provided a great opportunity to learn more about these devices!

Here's an excellent guide: PTC thermistor - Positive Temperature Coefficient >> Resistor Guide

P.S. Looking forward to Ric's redraw of the crossover circuit. :cool:

Thanks G.

I'll make this a reference.

I've always wanted to build a skill around the art of Loudspeakers and privileged to able to draw knowledge from you and others. :up:

Ah! I see from where the confusion has arisen!

Cliff, in post #1 you said the PTC was a C995, but your photo in post #46 shows it to be a C955! :eek:

The C955 has a rated resistance of 0.8 ohms. Phew!

It's age catching up with me.

That and too many projects on the go.

If you add my Tester devices resistance @ 0.2 to 0.3 ohms the C955's 0.8 ohms rating, thats pretty close to 1.3 ohm test result.

lol.

I am curious about mid/tw polarities, they are opposite to what I have seen, wait till you get them going and you can experiment with driver polarity.

After all the recommended changes have been successfully implemented I'll swap the tweeter and mid terminals to listen for changes improvements/degradations incase someone rewired them incorrectly.

When it's finished I'm planning to snip the wire connectors and directly solder to the speaker terminals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.