There are great sounding and not super expensive 2-way designs. Why go for 3-way, then?

The Genelec is too small to be used for high fidelity reproduction in a reasonable sized room. At standard levels it won't be able to play cleanly no matter how flawless it may be when playing quietly and/or sitting close. Below the Schroeder frequency sound quality is determined mainly by the room response rather than details of the speakers (assuming they are large enough to play cleanly). Less the case at higher frequencies. Controlling the room response well in the home is usually fairly challenging requiring both effort and expense.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely, I agree. But this not what we generally mean when we're talking about 3-way designs. Most 3-ways still need a sub in order to make me as happy with the 20-50 Hz region as 2-way bookshelves with a sub.

That's an interesting question, and I wish I had more experience (read: I wish I had more friends in the audio hobby, and at least one demo room in the area).
I like (but don't own) KEF LS50 Meta. I like the cheap 6.5" + soft dome tweeter DIY speakers I have now. They are made by another person and I don't know the specs, don't even know which drivers are used, but they're quite OK.
I liked ProAc 100, but that was a long time ago, today I might have a worse opinion if I got to listen to them.

I have almost no experience with 3-ways. Don't think I've heard any modern 3-way system. I have a pair of vintage Braun L830 which I liked at first, but now I think I overpayed and they need EQ in the mid-range.
I have looked into Philharmonic BMR and Wharfedale Evo 4.2, but discarded both based on measurements. BMRs have a bit too much distortion, and Wharfedale's frequency response is all over the place.
I cannot recommend you enough to really seek auditions of real BIG speakers using a 15” for bass.
the experience is revelatory.
the question then becomes, how can i integrate 150l cabinets in my decor 😂

Reactions: 2 users
That makes sense to me, but if that was the case, we should see in general better THD in 3-way designs than 2-way? I am not observing this when reading ASR and Erin's speaker reviews. 3-ways do have lower THD below 150-200 Hz, true, but above that I see no correlation between THD and the number of bands.

ASR: it’ll measure perfect and youll be happy?

Even the dishonest Amir of ASR use big Revel salon 4 way speakers. Shouldnt that tell you everything?

I cannot recommend you enough to really seek auditions of real BIG speakers using a 15” for bass
I'm more than happy with both the amount and depth of bass since adding a sub, I don't think I need two 150 L cupboards. But I'll take note of your advise, I would be happy to audition such a speaker!

Even the dishonest Amir of ASR use big Revel salon 4 way speakers.
Why do you call him dishonest?

Revel makes good speakers, nothing wrong with Salons except for the price. If I had unlimited money, I would also buy a large home and large speakers, something like RBH SVTRS or JTR Noesis. But for my room, I don't see the point. I used to be a proponent of floorstanders, but having had floor-standing speakers for a while up to now, I see no point in sticking to this concept. They do nothing that a sub can't do even better. And with a sub, half their size and half their weight is dead size and dead weight.
But maybe I'm missing something, and I welcome your advice.

Last edited:
I'm more than happy with both the amount and depth of bass since adding a sub, I don't think I need two 150 L cupboards. But I'll take note of your advise, I would be happy to audition such a speaker!

Revel makes good speakers, nothing wrong with Salons except for the price. If I had unlimited money, I would also buy a large home and large speakers, something like RBH SVTRS or JTR Noesis. But for my room, I don't see the point. I used to be a proponent of floorstanders, but having had floor-standing speakers for a while up to now, I see no point in sticking to this concept. They do nothing that a sub can't do even better. And with a sub, half their size and half their weight is dead size and dead weight.

for asr, start here https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...g-and-smsl-with-asr-punking-us-on-dacs.12808/

kinda odd reading your posts. In one post, you admit having no experience, in another post you claim you dont need 150l cabinets, that your happy with the depht of your sub, ect.

how can you have an opinion on things you have no experience with?
i hope your sub plus 2 way gives everything you want in ur system!

kinda odd reading your posts. In one post, you admit having no experience, in another post you claim you dont need 150l cabinets, that your happy with the depht of your sub, ect.
Let me rephrase: for the sake of this thread, I'm not interested in anything below 100 Hz. Will 150 L cabinets play better than alternatives if high-passed at 100 Hz? Would you still pick these large speakers if this was the condition?

Last edited:
I've read the first page and found no evidence that Amir is lying. I'm not sure what your quarrel with him is. As for those guys posting there, they're just being toxic and irrational. Don't get me wrong, I'm not his attorney, but I trust his data (because I have seen his measurements check out across other sources). And overall, he's doing an important job few others do, and as far as I can see he does it well.

Reactions: 1 users
I've read the first page and found no evidence that Amir is lying. I'm not sure what your quarrel with him is. As for those guys posting there, they're just being toxic and irrational. Don't get me wrong, I'm not his attorney, but I trust his data (because I have seen his measurements check out across other sources). And overall, he's doing an important job few others do, and as far as I can see he does it well.
i used the word lying. Should have use dishonest.
if you cant see just how bad asr is, no point in debating this issue. Hes the number 1 crook in hifi today imo
Let me rephrase: for the sake of this thread, I'm not interested in anything below 100 Hz. Will 150 L cabinets play better than alternatives if high-passed at 100 Hz? Would you still pick these large speakers if this was the condition?
edit: oups misread.
a 15” playing bass in a big cabinet is not something ive heard from 2 ways plus sub.
ive used various 2 way plus sub with mini dsp highpass, but also first order analog highpass. No matter what i did, i never could match the bass of a big woofer in big cab doing the entire bass range 30hz-160hz.

Last edited:
What size is a reasonably sized room, and how many dB is standard level?

A room where you sit around 3 m or so away. 80-85dB average is considered standard levels for foreground listening to music or movies.

But maybe I'm missing something,

Possibly not appreciating the level of room boom typically present, what is required from the speakers if that boom is removed, what is required to get clean low frequency percussive sounds,... It is all related. I would be comfortable with 2 x 8" woofers in the mains plus distributed subs. A touch smaller may be fine but a single 6.5" will be insufficient in a non-booming reasonable sized room for high sound quality. Good choice though for a modest sized, modestly priced, mildly compromised in terms of performance 2 way speaker.

No, you did say dishonest. Thanks for the interesting perspective. I would like to discuss this further, but it would be off-topic here so I won't press.
superbestaudiofriends did many analysis of his “work”. The more you read about his constant failures pointed out by not only sbaf, but also Jude from head fi, the more its obvious.

Amir is a crook. Full on. And his website is nothing more then paid advertisement from topping/smsl

btw, read my previous post, i had misread the question.

A room where you sit around 3 m or so away. 80-85dB average is considered standard levels for foreground listening to music or movies.
That's fair, I can get behind these numbers even though I live in an apartment. Probably not 85, but I bet I have listened at 80 dB. And 3 m is fair as well.

Great point about the room amplification, I know my room is boomy as hell. It's gotten much better after I bought a large(ish) sofa, but there are still locations in the room where I would hear my voice echoing, while in others it doesn't echo.
Do you mean just the base and mid-base room gain, or the effect of higher frequency reflections as well?

superbestaudiofriends did many analysis of his “work”. The more you read about his constant failures pointed out by not only sbaf, but also Jude from head fi, the more its obvious.
Bollocks. Not seeing any evidence. You're making the claim here and not backing it up with anything. The page you linked was a lot of strawman.
Amir is a crook. Full on. And his website is nothing more then paid advertisement from topping/smsl
More bollocks, and I'm far from a fan of Amir personally.

but I trust his data (because I have seen his measurements check out across other sources). And overall, he's doing an important job few others do, and as far as I can see he does it well.

Trusting the data when it makes sense/checks out is wise. This is independent of the person and is how science is designed to work (though science is not what is going on at ASR). Trusting what he says and the conclusions he draws is something else. This depends on his technical knowledge which is modest at best and at times wrong and his interests which are a bit odd and media orientated for those with technical backgrounds/outlooks. This is no different to Stereophile where the measurements are fine (so long as you understand what is being measured) but the words and conclusions dubious because of the interests involved.

I would agree that Amir's site has importance in providing evidence about the performance of some audio hardware. I would disagree about doing it well but that rests on what one considers important. Science in the name is misleading.

Bollocks. Not seeing any evidence. You're making the claim here and not backing it up with anything. The page you linked was a lot of strawman.

More bollocks, and I'm far from a fan of Amir personally.
not only sbaf but most major measurements guys calls out Amir lies. Have you not followed every drama At head fi and sbaf Over the years?
he manipulate measurements indeed

heres a start
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/audio-science-review-review.9827/page-40

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-v2-upgrade-technical-measurements.881867/page-2

now hes praising dac with sinad in the decimals. lol

Have you not followed every drama At head fi and sbaf Over the years?
No, I'd rather eat razor blades.
he manipulate measurements indeed
Really? Still not seeing it.
See posts 790, 791 and 793. Not impressed at all by what I've read on the linked page otherwise so I'm not interested in looking further as I have better things to do with my time.
Good grief. Is that thread meant to give some sort of evidence Amir is falsifying data? The test gear used there is not up to his AP, Amir does know how to use it, so I'd expect his measurements to be better.
Headfi is just marketing drivel with lots of multi-syllable words that mean nothing.
now hes praising dac with sinad in the decimals. lol
No, he's simply saying the performance is exemplary and very close to the asymptote. As for expensive, most of the gear that gets high marks isn't all that expensive, and he often states that exceptionally measuring gear won't have an audible difference. You, and the others you've linked to are simply unable, or most likely unwilling, to understand that.

Hell, I've been saying that around DACs for a very long time and have done a ton of subjective testing of gear using other people who claim to be able to hear things that are beyond the range of human perception.

Reactions: 6 users