• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wire" Official Boards for All Projects Available Here! BAL-BAL, SE-SE, LPUHP

I've already paid for a BALBAL/SESE over a week ago, had my name on spreadsheet for weeks, no reply. I guess Owen is a busy man still and has little time to ship boards. Waiting patiently. Rest assured he will get to it, eventually...

Wait!!! It was time to pay again?
I had my name on the list about 3weeks ago or more and haven't got any notice. I need moar boards!!! :)
I'm able to pay when he gives me the go. I'm still waiting for other replies on the lt3042's too. Hope for Owens replies ! Wish I could talk to him for just a few min to get a few questions answered. My emails/private messages on here don't ever get through. But I'm quite excited to order more of his boards. I hope he got more in stock.

if cost is not an issue...would some Vishay VSMP naked foil smd's be of an advantage to use for the resistors on the BALBAL....? or SESE?

texas components has several ASM2575's or VSMP's...not sure what the best would be for this application. anyone with experience care to let me know the best component for the balbal?

thank you!!!

I ended up getting a bunch of these Vishay VSMP V Foil's...hope they are good

https://www.digikey.com/product-det...n-group/Y16241K00000T9R/Y1624-1KCT-ND/1888131

although, I wish someone could comment about the gain settings on the BALBAL and SE SE...

i'm using unbuffered outputs from a soekris dam1021. I would like to achieve a bit of headroom for any headphones. is the 1K resistors enough for this amp to allow plenty of power, or what would one recommend?

for instance, my other Amp has +22 gain, (master 11 (stock +16db) with+6db gain stage added for 22gain)

I like to listen fairly loud for short periods, and hope to get the ideal setup for this amp.

The digital volume for soekris uses a 10K pot, but only controls a 3.3v signal to control volume, it's not controlling volume in the signal path. So I won't need compensation for the POT. that being said, can someone suggest or let me know what to expect?

THANK you so much. I hope someone here can comment on this.

On another note, has anyone talked to owen in the last month or two? I've not had any replys from him in a long time. Emails or PM's. I'm wondering if anyone has received any boards or paid for them? I'm hoping to still get an order in for some BAL BAL, SE SE and many of the LT3042 psu's if he has any left. I"m trying to find some of the LT3042 boards, and if anyone has any spares, would you consider selling it/them? thank you!

I wouldn't mind just getting the boards first to be able to build it, then worry about the gain. :)

Wifey is getting restless wanting her headphones back, she lost her headphones when I set her up with a dam1021, (cant drive 62ohm AKG K7xx's with that!)

I've waited about 2 months for the Balanced Phono stage, which is quite frankly the best sounding phono stage I've ever heard, especially with LOMC cart. Nothing but impressed!

Last edited:
I just built BAL-BAL with default gain.

I feel with AKG601 it's not loud enough (source AK100mkII). With maximum input level I can hear the sound starts to be distorted.
I am thinking to raise the gain to 2x with 2k resistors. Or should I straight go to 4.7? :))

I wouldn't mind just getting the boards first to be able to build it, then worry about the gain. :)

Wifey is getting restless wanting her headphones back, she lost her headphones when I set her up with a dam1021, (cant drive 62ohm AKG K7xx's with that!)

I've waited about 2 months for the Balanced Phono stage, which is quite frankly the best sounding phono stage I've ever heard, especially with LOMC cart. Nothing but impressed!

so the Soekris DAC i'm using says....
Output unbuffered Single ended 1.4V RMS, Zout 640R

what resistors would be best for my BALBAL. cant someone help me here with this?

the BALBAL defaults with 1K RI and 1K RF

and to get a gain of 6db, it's to be a 1:2 ratio I believe. But my impedance.... is it ok to have the 1K? or should I choose something else. I feel stupid asking, but I want to understand this better and be sure i'm not wasting the signal.

-Tim

Ideally i'd like to have about 16+ gain so the option to drive hard to drive headphones if its possible.

Just replaced Ri = 1k Rf= 4.7k or approx 4.5x gain. I can drive akg601 now but frankly 2.2k should be enough.
IMHO a 16x gain can break an elephant's ear.

I try it with unregulated power Supply. My PSU v2 is malfunctioning on negative side without clear reason. If regulator replacement can't help I need to look for alternative regulator.

so the Soekris DAC i'm using says....
Output unbuffered Single ended 1.4V RMS, Zout 640R

what resistors would be best for my BALBAL. cant someone help me here with this?

the BALBAL defaults with 1K RI and 1K RF

and to get a gain of 6db, it's to be a 1:2 ratio I believe. But my impedance.... is it ok to have the 1K? or should I choose something else. I feel stupid asking, but I want to understand this better and be sure i'm not wasting the signal.

-Tim

Ideally i'd like to have about 16+ gain so the option to drive hard to drive headphones if its possible.

Just replaced Ri = 1k Rf= 4.7k or approx 4.5x gain. I can drive akg601 now but frankly 2.2k should be enough.

I try it with unregulated power Supply. My PSU v2 is malfunctioning on negative side without clear reason. If regulator replacement can't help I need to look for alternative regulator.

What about with headphones like the HE-6? And I don't mean 16X, but 16db!
Your 4.5X is 21db gain... Right? Plenty for anything.

:)

I will prob get 3.9K roughly.

But was wondering how my source will affect everything.

Should I use a different resistor for in impedance?
I assume 640R is 640ohm output for the Unbuffered outputs on the soekris. 1K close enough? Or should I get 640ohm?

Last edited:
I think you can leave Ri = 1K. I read somewhere that is a good compromise value, if you lower Ri it will affect to your source circuit.

Yes, for 18dB or 2x you need to replace Rf to 2k. With Rf = 4.7k we should have more noise floor, but I don't think our ears can notice them. So go for 3.3k then. :)

BTW: On my tube amp I use potentiometer to make feedback gain adjustable a bit.

I assume 640R is 640ohm output for the Unbuffered outputs on the soekris. 1K close enough? Or should I get 640ohm?

20*log{4.5}=+13dB
invlog{+16dB/20}=6.3times

and I agree with Vincenti
6.3times and 16times are both too high for modern line level sources into headphones.

I guess this project is dead. Anyone have any spare BAL-BAL & SE-SE boards they don't need? Seems I was stupid to BOM out all the parts before even getting the PCB's.

I'm in contact worth Owen now and we have been discussing terms to provide these boards again and offer support. The details will be posted soon! As you can see, owen is too busy for his now yet it's likely I will be providing them or most of them once we work out the finer details. Stay tuned