The Wire - Low Power Ultra High Perfromance (LPUHP) 16W Power Amplifier

Hi Owen,
Simple question, how much power can I expect from the LPUHP on an 16 ohms driver ?
I guess enough as I planning to use them on TAD 2001s but I'm just curious and get also some questions from friends who might want to use them on slightly less effective drivers.

Cheers!

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Neofeed,

If you're running the "overvolt" version (which you should do if you plan to drive 16 ohms) then you will get ~12.5W into a 16 ohm load assuming 22V rails.

The normal 18V version will get you about 8 watts with a 16 ohm load.

Either way though, you'll be producing roughly 118db at 8W or 120dB at 12.5W with the TAD drivers, and that's more than enough even if you do like it loud!

Regards,
Owen

Need help troubleshoot

I just built it today and one channel works like a charm. The other channel has about -14Vdc at the output. I checked all the components and they seem to be in order. I checked the power supplies before assembling the amp and they were at +/- 18.2V. The channel that has a problem, when turned on I measured +18.2V and -17.4V. I am assuming that on the negative rail there is a much heavier load.
I would appreciate if anyone can help.
Thanks,
Radu

Last edited:
No problem Owen. I just need to put everything together. I have a Modushop peasante enclosure and need to do some drilling. I am using two 100VA Antek 2x18V transformer...good power reserve.
I used a half brick heatsink but is only about 10mm tall and gets quite hot when tested over 6-7 W. I've seen some taller ones in your pictures. Do you know the part number?

Thanks,
Radu

I am planning to build the original design, of course, just curious about the tube driver. If I try LME49870 for higher output, will I need more than 15v transformer secondaries? Recommend doing this? My tweeters are 109db/watt, 12ohm...
Also, any decent enclosure recommendations for either monoblocks or stereo amp?
thanks.
Herman