• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy

Hi,

I had a problem with my first build. After consulting Andrea, he was so kind to help me finding the fault, I found one of the pre soldered smd resistors (r23 on the detailed picture) not to be soldered on one side blocking power supply. A drop of solder solved the problem and now it is working.

So, am I the first user with a working clock unit?

Happy soldering everybody!

Andrea informed me not to use the oscon capacitors I had used, for it is not a digital circuit, it’s high frequency analog. So I changed them for Elna Silmic I had in stock.

The oscillator is placed on a foam pad for vibration dampening.

Attachments

• 4AC59832-1F9B-4C00-8D3F-98BC54DE30BB.jpeg
    4AC59832-1F9B-4C00-8D3F-98BC54DE30BB.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 029D7805-A99A-4B88-BA1B-132ECB3A88B5.jpeg
    029D7805-A99A-4B88-BA1B-132ECB3A88B5.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 409
Hi Stefan,

thanks for your feedback.

I apologize for the pre soldering issue, I will inform the manufacturer to be more careful for the next batches.
This batch I ask those who have got the semi-finished boards to inspect them in order to understand if there are faulty solderings.

Happy listening and let us know your impressions.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Interesting developments and I look forward to receiving my boards....albeit the more affordable ones.
As an electronics learner I find it difficult when to use such capacitors, digital, analogue, and now I learn 'hi frequency analogue.'. I guess this comes with experience!
Happy soldering and listening

We have chosen the Nichicon UKL series because of its very low leakage current.

They have been used as filters on the base of the bjts so a low leakage current is needed.
The polymer type is very good for decoupling in digital circuits but they typically have much more leakage current, so they are not the best in an oscillator which is an analog circuit (indeed its output is sine wave).

I recommend again to use exactly the parts listed in the BOM (type, brand, size and especially tolerance).

Last edited:
BOM

Hi Andrea,
Do you send the BOM along with the semi finished boards? The reason I ask is that I can't get the BOM off excel on my computer. There was a misunderstanding that you thought I thought I hadn't paid for my purchases. I knew that I paid for it. I just need to know what's on the BOM because of my computer snafu.

I have two different accounts with Microsoft. It has recorded one log in from an old account and the phone number is logged in from a new account. Because they aren't linked together and I don't have the old account references excel keeps telling me that account is already being used. If I try to log in with my phone number or email instead it tells me that is also being used. I'm stuck. If a BOM sheet comes with the kit then never mind. Otherwise can you please send me a text version (not excel) of the BOM for my orders. You can send it to me via PM if you'd like.

Thanks much
Eric

Hi Andrea,

Do you send the BOM along with the semi finished boards? The reason I ask is that I can't get the BOM off excel on my computer. There was a misunderstanding that you thought I thought I hadn't paid for my purchases. I knew that I paid for it. I just need to know what's on the BOM because of my computer snafu.

I have two different accounts with Microsoft. It has recorded one log in from an old account and the phone number is logged in from a new account. Because they aren't linked together and I don't have the old account references excel keeps telling me that account is already being used. If I try to log in with my phone number or email instead it tells me that is also being used. I'm stuck. If a BOM sheet comes with the kit then never mind. Otherwise can you please send me a text version (not excel) of the BOM for my orders. You can send it to me via PM if you'd like.

Thanks much

Eric
Install openoffice/libreoffice

Yes, but can I use open office to directly download the BOM from MS excel if I can' read it?!! That's the problem, I can't read it. It's not that I need a spreadsheet. I don't need a spreadsheet except to get the data that's in the MS Excel that he has put it in. I don't see how your idea will work if I can't get access to the information in the first place.:witch:

I think it's easiest for him to just send me the information in script form that has been taken out of spreadsheet mode by anyone who can get access to the BOM in MS excel. I can't help but think this is an incredibly silly problem for any one to have understood, including me.

Last edited:
Hi Andrea,

Thanks much
Eric

Hi Eric,

I attach the BOM in PDF format.

Andrea

Attachments

• TWTMC-PXO-AIO-SF_6125_12500_25000_Mouser_BOM.pdf
    30.5 KB · Views: 83
Yesterday I received a clock from Andrea, respectively a printed circuit board. Unfortunately, there are no crystals yet, it doesn't matter, let's wait :), so I tried the cheapest version of the TWTMC-PPG clock, which already has a crystal in its base. I used a decent power supply DIYINKH 0.56uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3 / 5 / 7V 2A * x2 with EI power transformer. I was very curious, so I haven't built anything better yet.
test against AS318
result:
instant to drastic sound changes, better bass and more faithful instrument colors. after 15 minutes it began to calm down and more space came. I let it play overnight and a while ago I compared Accusilicon with TWTMC-PPG in more detail.
Accusilicon AS318 - sound sharper, less natural, bass dirty, no depth of space. The voice has sharp hisses. I didn't feel so much about these features before, but they were created when compared to Andrea's Clocks.
Andreas TWTMC-PPG - more harmonious sound, more colors revealed during reproduction, more peace, beautiful bass, separation and resolution of bass lines. Suppression of unpleasant hisses on the voice, discovery of new tones and colors. It's a lot of fun and time is running out.

For interest, a comparison of 16 bit 44.1 kHz recording with TWTMC-PPG vs 24bit 96kHz with AS318 is unequivocally for 16bit. The only thing that in some passages are to hear some subtleties in favor of 24bit, but after a few minutes you don't want to hear it, 16 bit even including the complex resolution via Andrea's clock is clearly better.

I'm really looking forward to SOTA clocks.

Andrea, great job,

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Nice review BPatrik. I too have the PPG on their way to me. I wont have the SOTA ones but your words comparing the AS318 sound like I will be happy with them. Can I ask what dac are you using.?

I have NDK SA and also Crystal in my Ian Canada Fifo to his ESS dac. Currently playing with Miros AD1862 also.

Not sure whether to power TWTMC PPG with Salas Ref D or Ubib.!?

Congratulations BPatrik. You will never want to return to conventional clocks. Your post is reminiscent of effect I heard going from NDKsd to the original Driscol last year. It remains to be seen if there is additional subjective sound improvement going to the new 5mHz Driscol.

Objectively it will make a big difference, I know. I'm lucky to have a great audio machine. Every change is very audible, and thanks to that I can fine-tune a lot of things that until recently I considered non-existent or I had no idea that it has such an effect on the sound. And I don't just mean clock.

Nice review BPatrik. I too have the PPG on their way to me. I wont have the SOTA ones but your words comparing the AS318 sound like I will be happy with them. Can I ask what dac are you using.?

I have NDK SA and also Crystal in my Ian Canada Fifo to his ESS dac. Currently playing with Miros AD1862 also.

Not sure whether to power TWTMC PPG with Salas Ref D or Ubib.!?

I will be succinctly mysterious, I have my own R2R DAC ... and I use tuned FIFOPI 2

what Salas:
ask Andrea what he recommends. I use my own sources, very complex, but the SALAS journey will definitely be good. The source must be well filtered and must deliver extremely stable output current. I ordered some parts and "see" ...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello Andrea, I received the parcell today, faster shipment from Italy ever :)... and I have also some italian newspapers in it I readed! Qualiy of the pcb & soldering is good, the crystals I had from the previous GB are looking forward to meet them !

Many thanks again to you and your fellow friend designer for all the good job as the ones that helped in the main thread.

Can someone direct me towards the BOM please, I missed that ?