The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Andrea!

I have still not built my old clocks...

I now wonder as the new stuff is getting finished, can I reuse the old crystals in any meaningful way and get some of the new boards? Or shall I build the old ones as they where intended? Or just get the new stuff?

My order at the time was:
22.5792 MHz Laptech crystal fundamental 1
24.5760 MHz Laptech crystal fundamental 1
TWTMC-C Xo PCB 2
TWTMC-D&D Daughter board PCB 1
TWTMC-DIL DIL adapter 4

If I still want 2 clocks; 22 and 24, what is your recommendation that I do?

If I take these and compare to the new stuff - how many dbc/hz better are the best new one compared, at say 1 Hz.

//

Hi TNT,

we have not measured the old Colpitts-Clapp oscillator with fundamental AT-Cut crystals at 22/24 MHz (no boards available), but since it's mainly the crystal to make the difference you can refer to the new Pierce TWTMC-PXO with 22/24 MHz crystals.

As you can see from the attached plots the differences are huge.

22.5792 MHz
- 30 dBc at 0.1 Hz
- 25 dBc at 1 Hz
- 25 dBc at 10 Hz
- 13 dBc noise floor

24.576 MHz
- 10 dBc at 0.1Hz
- 11 dBc at 1 Hz
- 14 dBc at 10 Hz
- 11 dBc noise floor

22.5792 MHz doublers
- 36 dBc at 0.1 Hz
- 37 dBc at 1 Hz
- 30 dBc at 10 Hz
- 6 dBc noise floor

Then the best 22/24 MHz performers are the DRIXO and EXO base oscillators at 5/6 MHz followed by two frequency doublers.

The cheaper option, although with state of the art performance, is the DRIXO and the EXO at 22/24 MHz (you save 4 frequency doublers and the crystals are less expensive).

Attachments

• TWTMC 225792 old vs new.png
    TWTMC 225792 old vs new.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 494
  • TWTMC 24576 old vs new.png
    TWTMC 24576 old vs new.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 492
  • TWTMC 225792 old vs new + doublers.png
    TWTMC 225792 old vs new + doublers.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 474
Could we also put a 24 / 25Mhz quartz on the list? The Aio board is too big for my needs, so I would rather use one of the old pierce boards without the doubler.

BTW, did you consider using the SC-cut/ Old Driscoll design ?

Seems the price difference with the sc cut crystal is only about 13 euro, and the sc would give lower phase noise? Old driscoll board looks small too..
I guess in the end we who have interest in 24 and/or 25 would have to syncronize in the same alternative to meet the crystal MOQ.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@Andrea: Hi Andrea - one question that I hope you may have time/be able to help with ...

Since I don't ever remember having had the need to play back neither an 88.2k nor a 176.4 kHz audio file I am considering simplifying the clock setup a bit. This will save a bit of complexity and cost.

And also since I would prefer relays in the clock path I am thinking about something like the attached overview schematic. However, before deciding on this solution I would just like to ask you if you foresee any issues here (maybe feed through the relays to the doublers)? The squarer has been omitted from the drawing.

Relays could be the Panasonic DS latching relays that you at some earlier point in time have suggested (or something better?)

An alternative could be to use e.g. 74ac541 buffers in place of the relays. Looking at the LTC6957's phase noise plots I suspect it will add phase noise at the close-in frequencies ... (?)

Is the squarer really needed?

This question has been lurking in the back of my mind for a couple of hours now and I was wondering if anyone has made some measurements (in whichever possible way??) on the difference between using an external squarer as opposed to using the actual IC's - DAC or ADC - internal squaring functionality? I am aware of the curve slope vs. phase noise relation - the steeper the better - but wouldn't the DAC/ADC's own clock circuitry be able to perform the squaring as well as an external squarer? It would simplify things a bit but I haven't really seen this discussed anywhere - as if the basic assumption is that the DAC/ADC's own squaring circuitry is no good per se ..

Cheers & have a good day ;)

Jesper

Attachments

• A_Mori_clock_distribution.jpg
    A_Mori_clock_distribution.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 413
@Andrea: Hi Andrea - one question that I hope you may have time/be able to help with ...

Since I don't ever remember having had the need to play back neither an 88.2k nor a 176.4 kHz audio file I am considering simplifying the clock setup a bit. This will save a bit of complexity and cost.

And also since I would prefer relays in the clock path I am thinking about something like the attached overview schematic. However, before deciding on this solution I would just like to ask you if you foresee any issues here (maybe feed through the relays to the doublers)? The squarer has been omitted from the drawing.

Relays could be the Panasonic DS latching relays that you at some earlier point in time have suggested (or something better?)

An alternative could be to use e.g. 74ac541 buffers in place of the relays. Looking at the LTC6957's phase noise plots I suspect it will add phase noise at the close-in frequencies ... (?)

Is the squarer really needed?

This question has been lurking in the back of my mind for a couple of hours now and I was wondering if anyone has made some measurements (in whichever possible way??) on the difference between using an external squarer as opposed to using the actual IC's - DAC or ADC - internal squaring functionality? I am aware of the curve slope vs. phase noise relation - the steeper the better - but wouldn't the DAC/ADC's own clock circuitry be able to perform the squaring as well as an external squarer? It would simplify things a bit but I haven't really seen this discussed anywhere - as if the basic assumption is that the DAC/ADC's own squaring circuitry is no good per se ..

Cheers & have a good day ;)

Jesper

The TWTMC-STS-FSDO I'm designing is similar to your schematic.

I also use dual coil latching relays, multiplexers are cheaper but they add phase noise.
The Panasonic I suggested is fine, but there are even cheaper devices without any degradation.

Any digital input acts as a squarer because it works as on/off switch.
The problem is that not all digital inputs perform the same.
I have never feeding a DAC clock with sine wave but I suspect they are not designed to work in this way.
They are designed to work with high speed rising and falling edges.

As far as I know the AC and the ACT families have the best phase noise perfomance when used as a sine to square converter.
You can also use ECL logic but the performance is almost the same and the circuit become much more complex.

In our top DAC project we are testing several solutions to square the signals including a totally discrete circuit that's very large and complex.

Finally I will let you know the winner.

TWTMC-STS-FSDO

The layout of the fanout/switch board TWTMC-STS-FSDO is ready, I'm going to order the PCB proto.

I'm not sure there will be a semi-finished board since the LTC6957 is in MSOP-12 package very hard to solder.

Attachments

• TWTMC-STS-FSDO_01.jpg
    TWTMC-STS-FSDO_01.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 461
  • TWTMC-STS-FSDO_02.jpg
    TWTMC-STS-FSDO_02.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 420
  • TWTMC-STS-FSDO_03.jpg
    TWTMC-STS-FSDO_03.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.