The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the different between New Driscoll XO and New Differential XO?
I have the 5/6 MHz HC-47/U crystal, which board needed (or worth to use) for it?
Which board are the better phase noise?

The phase noise performance of the new Driscoll and the Differential oscillators are similar, we are working on the last adjustment of the Differential one, the we will publish all the final plots.

Which should I use, Driscoll or Differential?

I am planning to use 5mHz with FifoPi feeding TDA1541A. Then perhaps your new pcb when it is finished. Not clear what the differences are between the two or what the decision trade offs are. Perhaps I've missed this discussion or it is still to come once testing complete.

Which should I use, Driscoll or Differential?

I am planning to use 5mHz with FifoPi feeding TDA1541A. Then perhaps your new pcb when it is finished. Not clear what the differences are between the two or what the decision trade offs are. Perhaps I've missed this discussion or it is still to come once testing complete.

Driscoll and Differential oscillator have similar phase noise performance, please wait for the final plots to be published.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The SX/DX IanCanada gears adaptators boards don't have TWTMC clock board stacking option on it like the former serie made for AT-Cut if I understood correctly.

What are the linking wire options between them and the new TWTMC oscillators boards ? have them all both uf-l and the bulky screwing plug ?

@wolves, asking myself the same for the tda1541A and the xtal needed for the second family frequency 24/192 ! On the FifoPi you could theorically uses both a 5 and a 12 or 24 xtal side to side ! Question is due to the problem of IanCanada I2S to pcm for the TDA1541A: will it really work in simultaneous mode without waste till 24/192 ? My understanding is with a "clean" Simultaneous - i.e. corectly lined for the TDA1541A chip a 12 Xtal should permitt to read 24/192 files or a 6 Xtal with a doubler board... but I'm not sure of it anymore. Would like to use my 5 SC-Cut for RED-Book and the second frequency family for the genuine 24/192 recordings that more & more show their nose ! But don't know if I should pick up a 6 or a 12 SC-Cut or simply stay for this second socket with the former AT-Cut option !

Question is : does the Ian clock boards according the model could support two TWTMC oscillators family for each of their socket : for illustration : on a Xtal socket : New Discroll + SCT-Cut & on the second Socket Old Discroll board + AT-Cut ! So SX/DX compatibility matters.

Last edited:
The SX/DX IanCanada gears adaptators boards don't have TWTMC clock board stacking option on it like the former serie made for AT-Cut if I understood correctly.

What are the linking wire options between them and the new TWTMC oscillators boards ? have them all both uf-l and the bulky screwing plug ?

@wolves, asking myself the same for the tda1541A and the xtal needed for the second family frequency 24/192 ! On the FifoPi you could theorically uses both a 5 and a 12 or 24 xtal side to side ! Question is due to the problem of IanCanada I2S to pcm for the TDA1541A: will it really work in simultaneous mode without waste till 24/192 ? My understanding is with a "clean" Simultaneous - i.e. corectly lined for the TDA1541A chip a 12 Xtal should permitt to read 24/192 files or a 6 Xtal with a doubler board... but I'm not sure of it anymore. Would like to use my 5 SC-Cut for RED-Book and the second frequency family for the genuine 24/192 recordings that more & more show their nose ! But don't know if I should pick up a 6 or a 12 SC-Cut or simply stay for this second socket with the former AT-Cut option !

Question is : does the Ian clock boards according the model could support two TWTMC oscillators family for each of their socket : for illustration : on a Xtal socket : New Discroll + SCT-Cut & on the second Socket Old Discroll board + AT-Cut ! So SX/DX compatibility matters.

The TWTMC-STS boards fit the DIL sockets on Ian's board, although the best placement would be removing DIL sockets and solder them directly.

They accept both SMA and u.fl from the oscillator boards. SMA is strongly suggested, u.fl is not a very stable connector.

The older oscillators don't need the sine to square converter, since they output square wave.
I would not mix older version with new oscillators, the phase noise performance of the new oscillators are far superior.

About the clock frequency supported by Ian's stuff, please ask him.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Well I know the FifoPi supports two fared frequency family : so a 5 near a 12 is possible, not for the MC or the former Clock board. The I2StoSim board is not very something he want yet to talk about. Pedja's opinion is the starting word of the I2S to PCM is wrong while it works but not with the best performances. It's more what the TDA1541A can support for high 388 Fs wheiher simultaneous mode or usual I2S... and if the simultaneous correctly setuped support 192 fs with 12 Xtal fhz... Have to re read old post and Pedja's inputs about that more than asking to Ian about his fgpa sim board.

I'm very agree and confident aboutthe work made but you wrote the AT-Cut new oscillator will come only populated and at the end it's certainly more or as expensive than a 100% SC-Cut. My point is to use the AT-Cut 12 or 24 I already have. Few materials, so it's cool there is the ufl cheap option. Going to use the other better link for the main material Red-Book I have with the 5 SC-Cut. Sure that DIL sockets are a pain for Xtal uses ! I already avoid it with the Clock Board I have and decouple more with acrylic smd than C0G with the Crysteq beneath the board...(tip fr others ;) )

Or is there a new oscillator raw board compatible with the 45 size AT-Cut ?

Sorry to ask : what the purpose of the transformer boards : I missed that !

Last edited:
Well I know the FifoPi supports two fared frequency family : so a 5 near a 12 is possible, not for the MC or the former Clock board. The I2StoSim board is not very something he want yet to talk about. Pedja's opinion is the starting word of the I2S to PCM is wrong while it works but not with the best performances. It's more what the TDA1541A can support for high 388 Fs wheiher simultaneous mode or usual I2S... and if the simultaneous correctly setuped support 192 fs with 12 Xtal fhz... Have to re read old post and Pedja's inputs about that more than asking to Ian about his fgpa sim board.

I'm very agree and confident aboutthe work made but you wrote the AT-Cut new oscillator will come only populated and at the end it's certainly more or as expensive than a 100% SC-Cut. My point is to use the AT-Cut 12 or 24 I already have. Few materials, so it's cool there is the ufl cheap option. Going to use the other better link for the main material Red-Book I have with the 5 SC-Cut. Sure that DIL sockets are a pain for Xtal uses ! I already avoid it with the Clock Board I have and decouple more with acrylic smd than C0G with the Crysteq beneath the board...(tip fr others ;) )

Or is there a new oscillator raw board compatible with the 45 size AT-Cut ?

Sorry to ask : what the purpose of the transformer boards : I missed that !

The new Driscoll and Differential oscillators supports only SC-Cut crystals from 5/6 MHz up to 22/24 MHZ. SC-Cut 45/49 and 90/98 MHz are not compatible. AT-Cut Crystals are not compliant.

The new discrete Perce XO does not support SC-Cut crystals, but it supports all AT-Cut from 5/6 MHz to 90/98 MHz.
Obviously, the performance of SC-Cut crystals are far superior than the AT-Cut type at the same frequency, so you can expect worse phase noise performance from the AT-Cut crystals.
We will publish also the measurement of the new Pierce XO with AT-Cut crystals.

The TWTMC-PPG board comes only as finished board with HC-49/U crystal installed, 22 or 24 MHz only.
It's a entry level oscillator at a very low price.

Transformers kit are for those who wants to build the new oscillators himself, we provide the kit because Mini-circuits asks MOQ of 20 pcs for each type.

@wolves, asking myself the same for the tda1541A and the xtal needed for the second family frequency 24/192 ! ...
I suspect I am alone in my view :rolleyes:

After years of wanting to prefer HiRes material, I conclude I cannot really hear a difference that justifies any additional work or expense to play HiRes. I may even prefer redbook. With Andrea's earlier Driscoll it was clear it would be extra work/expense to get both clocks working with FIFOPi. So I now run with just a redbook compatible (45mHz) clock and convert everything to redbook. 99% of my music is redbook and plays without conversion. So my plan now is to upgrade to the 5mHz SC cut to get best possible phase noise and just run redbook speed at the DAC regardless of source.

Like I said, likely in a group of one.:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019

After years of wanting to prefer HiRes material, I conclude I cannot really hear a difference that justifies any additional work or expense to play HiRes. I may even prefer redbook. With Andrea's earlier Driscoll it was clear it would be extra work/expense to get both clocks working with FIFOPi. So I now run with just a redbook compatible (45mHz) clock and convert everything to redbook. 99% of my music is redbook and plays without conversion. So my plan now is to upgrade to the 5mHz SC cut to get best possible phase noise and just run redbook speed at the DAC regardless of source.

Quite near the same needs here :cool: ! Red-book question is a difficult one cause there is the bits limitations of the chip vs the new standards, but also the way the Red book was reccorded and adapted from old reccordings when we made our libraries : remember : AAD, ADD, DDD on the CD ;) : sometimes the AAD sounded much more better because less artifacts ! Mate H.Kroyne upsample 355/388 Red-Book all with Audirvana and can hear it with his tda1541A I2StoPCM(ed), Sumotan mate is I2S raw and sd-card... Go figure ! I make it for sport like some play golf.

But yes, I like to hassle even for the 0.001% of 24/192 I have... and has also something in between with the AD1862 dac chip, lol ! What a hobby... 7 miilions evolution years for that... we are regressing, lol :scared:

Last edited:

Not alone at all, i have stopped using hirez even though i have the oscillator installed, redbook sounds so good i could not care for hirez unless i do not have the tracks in redbook.

You are not alone, I agree with your opinion.
I have suggested several time to use the lower clock frequency as possible, 5/6 MHz are the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.