The Weather

I spent the first 62 years of my life in south Florida. Five minutes of watching one of the Miami TV channel's news is enough to remind me why I left.

The engine does seem to need a bit of choke to run right, so maybe it does need to be richened up a bit. I took the float bowl off a couple years ago to clean out the crud, but never looked for an adjustment. Owner's manual, you mean I'm actually supposed to open it? I just figured that trying to make it eat 10 to 12 inches of snow made it work too hard. It sure didn't like it. The plume of snow dust seen in the picture above was with about 4 inches. It did far less while choking on 10 inches.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
ok, Stoichometric ratio (enough air to burn all the fuel) gives hottest exhaust temperatures (and sadly where catalytic converters need the engine to be) For best power you need to be richer, say 13:1 air:fuel and for best consumption leaner (say 15:1). A single pot probably needs to go even richer to keep it cool. If the engine was setup at the factory at 20C at 12:1 AFR at -9C it'll need 11% more fuel to hit the right ratio.

yah that covers the second sentence but “not so much lean, as lean of stinky rich”

is kindly saying that (by your opinion) they run too rich….. but in fact that’s just how they are designed to run so how can that be too rich? Too rich maybe for those that are ‘environmentally correct’ …….that’s probably why it’s lean in the first place, emissions standards have infiltrated even the lawn mower!

You’d be surprised what has to pass emissions standards these days. Dirt bikes for one…….a few years back the two strokes started coming from the factory with a jet kit because in order to pass emissions standards they were so leaned out from the factory they wouldn’t run. They have started fuel injection on these same 2t bikes (KTM is leading in that tech) and is actually working quite well.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bike FI is great stuff. I used to use bike throttle bodies on car engines* as they flow so well. Of course real men use slide carbs on bikes so they were avialable cheap as well :D

* I know individual throttle bodies are not popular amongst american hot rodders, but we have fewer cylinders in general...

ok, Stoichometric ratio (enough air to burn all the fuel) gives hottest exhaust temperatures (and sadly where catalytic converters need the engine to be)
It also gives the highest combustion chamber temps. That's why we force most automobile engines to eat their own exhaust (EGR). What's already burned won't burn again, so there is less "fire in the hole" thus less heat generated. This is generally a part throttle cruise condition. EGR is disabled when the pedal hits the floor.

Stinky rich, where "you can tell by the smell" or visibly rich (black smoke) is not too common today. Old Holley carbs tunes for max full throttle power were often stinky rich at idle to get rid of the stumble at tip in. I preferred Carters which could be tuned with a soldering iron. My 16 year old riding lawnmower is usually stinky rich, and sometimes visibly rich. It runs and the deck is mostly JB weld and window screen, so I'll leave it alone until it dies.

Wherever the snow falls, don't fall behind the shoveling/snowblowing!
m_20170306_074332.jpg

Got to chuckle at George's winter attire, or the lack of.. DiyA's very own Yeti. ;
Btw just watched this short documentary, no woowoo just a plausible natural explanation.

Weather-wise it's been around 0 C for a week here in southern Finland, thinking of getting a pair of studded winter boots so have been checking out the inventory and finding out, for me, a newer type of out-sole boot trend incorporating patches of high traction anti-slip rubber resembling a mix of rubber and sandpaper, perhaps a better compromise as studs can be slippery on hard surfaces and are also a bit noisy, does anyone have any experience with these type of boots?
https://blog.beckershoes.com/best-winter-boots-traction/

Ultima, you may already know about this option.
I was wearing a like device a couple-few weeks ago. Saw a dandelion growing the other day, then another the next. I swear I heard a frog chirp a couple nights ago - enough to stop and listen for another.

Crazy weather for the middle of January.

I was thinking after stopping for a traffic light that just cycles, whether there's another car at the crossroad or not, that in order to accelerate, a car needs a richer mixture during the acceleration period by definition. Therefore every time that light arbitrarily stops a bunch of traffic, all those tailpipes have the blacker than usual smoke coming out. Just what the atmosphere needs...