The Weather

Living on hillside gives some challenges...

Attachments

• ok14 230221.jpg
    ok14 230221.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 129
The $300 Chinese "2000 watt" invertor generator that still works, got to do alternating duty with a space heater and the refrigerator all day yesterday and to my surprise, didn't miss a beat.

The fridge probably doesn't use a whole lot of power, wouldn't it be possible to just set the heater to a lower setting and use both at the same time?
Not sure what kind of fridge we're talking about, but mine draws very little power.

Wish you all the best George, recuperate, and recuperate well.

Indeed, but if the settings on a heater can be something like 1500w next step down is commonly around 750w, so a 2kw generator is likely to work.
Have yet to see a fridge that draws more than 1250w peak, but feel free to correct me since it's way outside my field of knowledge.
I'm not sure but I think some active load makes a positive effect onto a generator like 'pre-load'. So it is easier to generator to take a full load being pre-loaded. So of cause we may use them together (with heater partly turned on). It only depends on how much real watts is in those 2000 'watts' in this Chinese generator.
My father has a 3000W (or VA?) rated generator and it funny 'jumps' (chokes for a second) when a refrigerator turns on it's compressor.
A 'usual' average fridge draws up to 800-1000W peak (when starts) as I know. And any generator must has ability to withstand short-time overloads (10%-20%).

Last edited:
The heater is a fake fireplace with a blower and some heating elements There is a thermostat that just cycles the elements on or off depending on the difference in room temp and the setting. By the time that I had dragged the generator to the patio and hooked it all up, the room temp was low enough that the elements were on whenever the heater had power. The fridge had already warmed to 14F / 44F so it was also in full on mode.

Plugging both into the generator would trip it's breaker after about 5 minutes. The big "2000" on the side of the gen is the "peak watts." The tiny print on the side says 1600 watts continuous. The heater draws 1800 watts, but was probably getting 110 volts or less at the end of two daisy chained extension cords.

When the weather warms I'll fix the 5 KW continuous / 6500 watt peak generator that worked well when we were without power for 22 continuous days in Florida after hurricane Wilma in 2006.

Still have two new (stitched up) holes in my body where some cancerous tumors were cut out.

The chunk taken out of my leg was "atypical squamous cell carcinoma" with the margins free, meaning that they cut out the tumor and enough surrounding tissue to get all of it plus some margin. This was the fifth such surgery to remove a chunk of my leg. The other four healed up fine with no recurrence. The last leg surgery was three years ago.

The chunk taken out of the left side of my head was "invasive squamous cell carcinoma" cancerous cells were found in some margin tissue. This means that there is a possibility that some invasive nasties could remain in my skin.

The last time I had a hole like this in my head was 15 years ago. It was nearly in the same spot as this one, but on the right side of my head. Despite clear margins that ugly nasty kept coming back every two to four months. It took six total surgeries to get that one. Let's just hope that history does not repeat.

The surgeries were a week ago. The first few days were lost in a haze of narcotics induced stupidity. I quit eating those pills two days ago and today was the first day I felt like doing much other than watching TV or doing jigsaw puzzles with Sherri. Three days ago it was bleepin cold and the power was out. There was over a foot of snow in the parts of the yard that get limited sun....when there is any. Yesterday the sun came out and melted some snow, but last night is hit 26F, which refroze all the standing water.

I got a text this morning that a friend wanted to borrow my 5 X 8 foot box trailer. I informed him that it was frozen to the ground, but the sun was shining and it was going to be warm today, so I would get back to him. The trailer was parked in the grass / mud where it had been since last summer. It weighs 700 pounds and is about 100 feet from the driveway, so how do I move it when I'm not supposed to do any lifting?

Well, the dumm blonde decides to hook the trailer up to the riding lawnmower. Let's see the 15 year old mower has been sleeping for over three months, and the dummy wakes it up and asks it to tow something the weighs more that the mower does, through snow, ice, and frozen mud.

One of the neighbors sees me out there on a mower in the snow dressed in my typical mowing clothes, shorts, no shirt, and bare feet, He tells me I'm nuts, and offers to get his pickup truck, but there is no path from the trailer to the driveway that does not go over his septic tank or mine, and both are plastic.

The mower did not complain, but it had zero traction in mud, snow and ice, I went sideways more often than forward. After several attempts I learned to shovel out a path for about 10 feet, drive forward, repeat. After nearly two hours the trailer was in the driveway, the mower was washed and back in the shed, and I had an audience of 5 or 6, but nobody offered to help. I will sleep well tonight!

It was 26F this morning at 6 AM. I saw the thermometer at 59F when I came in from my afternoon fun at about 3 PM. The rain had just started. The back yard had about 8 inches of ice / snow mix this morning. The areas in the shade looked like there is about 4 inches left this afternoon, but its hollow ice under about an inch of snow. At 165 pounds I can walk across it if I step carefully in bare feet, but then, CRACK, and you fall through into frozen mud....and deer poop. Boots break it immediately.

I had absolutely no effects at all from the first (Pfizer). I would not have known that I had it if I hadn't watched it happen. I hear that some people have serious reactions to the second round, but two sisters that I know in their mid 80's had zero reaction at all (one Pfizer, one Moderna).

I'll find out in about 3 weeks. I still have some stupidity pills left in needed. You don't feel much of anything with two of those.

As I get older, I have found that in each successive year I exult more and more in the warmth of the late winter sun. Mamselle and I took a long walk this afternoon.

Saying this, we have an invasion of the tiny ants which have no nectar to search for in the garden, on the early budding plants. This is not typically a problem at our home in NE Ohio where winters are more severe. In NE Ohio we have mice!!

we have an invasion of the tiny ants which have no nectar to search for in the garden, on the early budding plants. In NE Ohio we have mice!!

While I was outside yesterday I saw the first two signs of spring, flies, and tiny spiders. No ants, mice, or ground moles yet.

The rain from yesterday and last night has removed the snow from about half of the yard, and the creek has risen nearly two feet in two days. It does run from the Ohio river well into Pennsylvania, so it can rise when there is no rain here, about a mile from the river. I'm guessing that the river has risen too, but I haven't been there in some time.

In Finland birch syrup starts flowing in April.

The weather turned warm, 2-8C daytime temps for the next 5-7 days. Snow is falling from trees and roofs and condensing, but water is not running on streets yet.

I've always wanted to tap birch trees. Interesting low-tech approach there Juhazi. On a side note, normally maples in our area are ready to tap in mid-March. Things have changed over the last 5 years or so. We might have been able to tap out in January this year! Climate change?