The Weather

taken / freezing cold / burning hot / freezing cold / freezing cold / even a little bit / any of / even have / exactly /very /that
/ exactly / that

There, I plucked the redundancies and unnecessary bits.

That's okay; A common rookie mistake. Just like the one I made in this post. Can you find it?

Last edited:
so much focus...on science/engineering/facts...there are times when clear (non electronics) factual information is ignored...
I once knew a physicist (a smart one, too) who believed the earth was 5000 years old, based on Biblical study.

If you asked him to explain the mathematics of a radioactive decay chain starting with uranium (which is the process that's been used to determine the earth's age since the 1920s or so), he would have no trouble at all. He would have no argument with the measured half-lives of the various elements in the decay chain, either.

But the earth was still only 5000 years old to him, rather than the roughly 4,560,000,000 years that's been determined by that exact radioactive decay chain. :eek:

I was young, and that's when I first began to realize the flabbergasting extent to which some people can compartmentalize their beliefs. This guy believed one thing at the research lab where he did worked, and something completely contradictory in his personal life.

Back to the thread topic of cold: one of the early attempts to use physics to estimate the age of the earth was based on how hot the earth currently was, and how long it would have taken to cool off since its white-hot formation by colliding star-dust. (The calculation was badly in error, because at the time, radioactivity was unknown, and nobody understood that radioactivity in the earth's curst generated heat, and kept it warmer than it would have been otherwise.)

The whole story of how scientists (and before them, geologists) tried to find the age of the earth is fascinating: How Science Figured Out the Age of Earth - Scientific American

-Gnobuddy

Your last "exactly" and "that" are switched.

You lose, your analisis is not correct but I am glad you attempted it. I capitalized the first letter after a semi colon when it wasn't a proper noun. No prize this this day my friend. Not too worry, it's a not just a rookie mistake, many do the same. Now what two things did I do in this paragraph?

You lose, your analisis is not correct but I am glad you attempted it. I capitalized the first letter after a semi colon when it wasn't a proper noun. No prize this this day my friend. Not too worry, it's a not just a rookie mistake, many do the same. Now what two things did I do in this paragraph?

You mean besides misspelling analysis, missing the comma between correct and but, spelling semicolon as two words, using "this" twice in a row, using too instead of to in "not to worry," and perhaps other things? You mean those 2 mistakes? Now can you spot mine?

Last edited:
It always made me smile that people were told 'Deutsch' and heared 'Dutch'

Southeastern Pennsylvania is populated by the descendants of Hessian mercenaries who didn't go back!

(In the 1940's Italian POW's were secured in Missoula Montana, fewer than half went back to Italy. They were so welcomed by the local populace that they were essentially free to roam, had their own symphony, football team and opera.) University of Montana was small spuds back then.

Halloween didn't go so well. An automatic telephone call in the afternoon informed me of a water line break would shut off my water service. Not really a biggie.

Then in the early evening high winds took out a power line and transformer.

The local electric utility does not do high voltage line repairs when it is really windy!

So no water, light or heat! Electricity on tonight, flushing water lines tomorrow.

Not really a hardship, didn't even have to use my back-up portable generator. I used to keep a battery back-up system as being the only one in the neighborhood having power and making lots of noise is not exactly a good idea. (At the time I did that appropriate batteries weren't really easily available and worse yet the inverter failed!)

Now considering getting a small solar/battery system. Just need to run the lights, heat circulating pumps and food storage gizmos. Probably will start with the deep cycle batteries.

You've misinterpreted my post.
My apologies. I've heard that particular bit of nonsense a few too many times from a few too many people. The smiley didn't clarify your position, as you probably thought it would.

Anyhoo - given the current nurturing and kind :rolleyes: mood on this thread (maybe it's the cold everyone keeps talking about?) I'm off to greener, or at least less irascible, pastures. Have fun, everyone!

-Gnobuddy

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....In the 1940's Italian POW's were secured in Missoula Montana....

German POWs were bunked in the logging camps and potato fields in Maine. Initially everybody feared everybody, but quickly they all got friendly.

Mostly everything went smoother than you might expect. The POWs had little complaint against their captors, but complained about mosquitoes and blackflies. However three POWs saw their duty and escaped for some days. As part of the search, the local hermit threw deer-guts over the fence at the remaining POWs and shouted "Binden sie ihre schuhe!" (Yes, he thought this was "Let this be a lesson to you" but is really "tie your shoes".)
World War II - Escape from Spencer Lake | Down East

One source of friction: American bread is very white, Maine bread super light and white, while Germans were used to sturdy bread. Their overseers soon allowed Germans to bake bread for the POWs the right way.

I hadn't heard that many/any remained in Maine. Probably not, because the bread around here would float-away in the Italian influenced parts of New Jersey. However some remained for a time. One of the escapees got mail-order education from the U. of Maine, returned to Germany and learned more, then returned to the US and worked with NASA, became a citizen.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's not too cold - lack of heat in winter is no joke, depending on where you are. A friend's family spent week together in bed under the covers - all of them in one bed - during a massive several-day power outage caused by a freakishly heavy snowstorm some years ago.

-Gnobuddy

Thanks,

Actually not very cold. But even then my house was built with wood heat in the 1920's! So the north wall had two franklin style stoves and no windows. South side has lots of windows. As a general rule the construction now that I have insulated the place stays at least 15 degrees F warmer than the outside air.

I also have the habit of sleeping "cold" in a bedroom set for 65 degrees.

If it did get bad I have a portable propane heater intended for indoor use. It has a carbon dioxide and tip over detectors. Of course I do keep a carbon monoxide detector in my house. It has been useful when combined with an electricians tent to do outside connector panels in the winter.

Years ago in a different place my first carbon monoxide detector got destroyed when a guy in the garage downstairs was working on his car in the enclosed space. I wasn't home that week, but I suspect even that idiot might have heard it.

You mean besides misspelling analysis, missing the comma between correct and but, spelling semicolon as two words, using "this" twice in a row, using too instead of to in "not to worry," and perhaps other things? You mean those 2 mistakes? Now can you spot mine?

Hahahah! You guys (gnobuddy, Cal, Carl, possibly evenharmonics) must care about each other a lot :D
It's the people close to you, that you spend most time arguing with.

Nice seeing all the love and affection out in the open :D