The Weather

Well, we have Toad Suck. Not sure what bunch of colonists to blame that on. Probably the Irish ( my paternal ancestors ).

LOL! We here in NEW Hampshire in NEW England also have:
Dover (my home town), Exeter, Portsmouth, Manchester, Derry, Nottingham, Canterbury, New Castle, Durham, Rye, Hampton and North Hampton, Chichester, Rochester, and more. Then there's Berlin, Hanover, and who knows what else.

But of course, the early settlers of NH were largely from England (Dover was settled in 1623) and most early settlers were far from home and looking for some tiny piece of their old lives...

Dover (my home town), Exeter, Portsmouth, Manchester, Derry, Nottingham, Canterbury, New Castle, Durham, Rye, Hampton and North Hampton, Chichester, Rochester, and more. Then there's Berlin, Hanover, and who knows what else.

But of course, the early settlers of NH were largely from England (Dover was settled in 1623) and most early settlers were far from home and looking for some tiny piece of their old lives...
I wonder what it was about Manchester. It's hard to find a state in north-east US without town named Manchester.

There are a few places here that has foreign nicknames like Little Paris (due to a poet who lived her and wrote a poem about this place - Little Paris), Stockholm is sometimes reffered to as Venice of the North and there are some other not nice names to places, the mildest is a metroline called Orient Express to suburbs outside Stockholm.

My iPad says Sunny 3 degrees C and here're photos of the frost outside.

Attachments

• IMG_7828.JPG
    IMG_7828.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7829.JPG
    IMG_7829.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 110
It's the cold, damp and dark that makes it miserable
Same here. A few years ago we had nearly five months of continuous heavy grey cloud cover, mixed with rain and snow. After a month or so without ever seeing the sun, I start to feel as though I cannot quite wake up, so I stumble around feeling groggy and half-asleep all day, every day.
the last few days have been nice, the sun showing up the autumn colours.
Again, the same here. A forecast for an entire week of rain turned out to be completely wrong; instead, we have bright sunshine and blue skies. Cold, clear, and beautiful!

-Gnobuddy

> I wish former British citizens ...had used a bit more imagination when naming their new settlements.......

some of the British names in NA are mis-pronounced and mis-spelled and then spoken with a draaawl - a good form of retribution I think!

By the way, the weather is so bad in Montreal that they have postponed Halloween til Friday !

some of the British names in NA are mis-pronounced...
Not just British names. I still remember my shock the first time I heard an American television sports commentator discussing the football team from Indiana's Notre Dame University. He pronounced "Notre" so it rhymed with "otter", and "Dame" like the word "lame". :eek:

I have virtually zero knowledge of French (c'est tragique, n'est ce pas?), but even in my ignorance, "Otter Lame" sounded pretty atrocious.

-Gnobuddy