The Weather

We have been having our first hot spell for a couple of years here in the UK.
It has been 29 degrees and that is high for a country where private homes don't have air conditioning.
It has rained just enough to make the ground wet but not anything like enough to clean the air.

Bob - it's funny what a little geographical distance can do - we're on the southeastern tip of the same island (i.e. Saanich/ Gordon Head/Mount Doug ) yesterday after a bit a of warm spell, there was some hazy light fog in the morning and cirrus clouds in the later afternoon - my wife complained about it being so cold (never got above 25C on the deck) that she had to wear joggers and hoodie - of course she's still recovering from spending 3 weeks in Bermuda, where low 30s and +70% RH ( "feels like 45C) is the norm this time of year

that I can do without, thank you very much ;)

Chris, you are totally right. It's all about altitude, the ocean, the lakes, the valleys, the mountains, the trees, the rivers, the forests...
Only five to ten miles separation can have a profound effect in the overall temperature.

You take good care man, and say Hi to your wife from me, bests;
Bob

It's been hovering anywhere between 36C and 41C here in the Canuck Desert over the past week or so. Daytime RH is around 10-15%. Love it, but not sad to see more moderate temps on the way. I could do without all the smoke, though.

Kamloops is always one of the hottest places in BC. ...I've been there several times over last 40 years; I worked there too, outside, in the forests, during the summer months!
So I know all about it, very first hand.

Hi to you over there, and say Hi to all my friends in Kamloops from me,
Bob

It has been 29 degrees and that is high for a country where private homes don't have air conditioning.
It has rained just enough to make the ground wet but not anything like enough to clean the air.
please don't whine... here (rotterdam) it's been 32 celsius in a sea-climate... do the math...:D

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's about 14 deg C here and blowing a gale. That's pretty cold for Sydney :) We had a frost the other morning (first this winter). I was thinking for going for a ride on my pushbike, but not feeling so much like it at the moment! Was also thinking about washing the car, which is also seeming un-attractive!!

Tony.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001

please don't whine... here (rotterdam) it's been 32 celsius in a sea-climate... do the math...:D

Ohmigod. Middle of summer, and a lousy 84°F and 89°F is enough to melt you folks. What dainty doilies. It routinely gets up to 85°F over here and I haven't bothered to hook up the air conditioner in the living room yet. I occasionally put on the one in the bedroom, that's it. :D

Ohmigod. Middle of summer, and a lousy 84°F and 89°F is enough to melt you folks. What dainty doilies. It routinely gets up to 85°F over here and I haven't bothered to hook up the air conditioner in the living room yet. I occasionally put on the one in the bedroom, that's it. :D

We are acustomed to a moderate sea climate. So when it gets hot it also gets humid. You'd love it..... a public sauna.

I reside some 500 paces from the ocean, my back yard reached 95F and 70% RH this afternoon, no wind.
Which makes an apparent temperature of some 122F, the equivalent of 90F and 90% RH, which occurs on Curaçao* during the hurricane season.

Both on the edge of the heat stroke danger zone.
120F with 15% RH in the desert is safer.

(* spoke on the phone with a family member island local in the late afternoon, weather there is nicer than here at the moment)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I live about 300 meters from the sea so am well acquainted with the doldrums and oppressive heat/humidity. There are a few weeks in July and August where the normal breezes just stop during the hottest part of the day.

This environment here is very hard on paint and stains, making things look shabby in just a couple of years.