The Weather

He flew through the air
with the greatest of ease
Came down in a heap
looking like cottage cheese

I tripped.

As you get older your reflexes get slower, so instead of dislocating your shoulder from using it for balance, you tend to fall harder and break your wrist or hip. In old folks the incapacity from a broken hip often ends up being fatal.

So as I see it you are still quite spry and now have decent story. I did do one emergency room visit where the attending got upset discussing pain levels. She had seen too many guys crying from the pain of a dislocated shoulder.

BTY I suggest thick carpet may be called for.

Get well soon.

Is that what Americans call skinny?;)
No, that's what most American men think they look like after n beers.. ;)

I'm now at 175 pounds, and still better off than I was at 30, or 40....
I totally get it. I was a two pack-per-day smoker in my early twenties (Marlboros and unfiltered Camels were particular favorites). Of course when you're smoking like that, you've pretty much scr3wed the p@@ch when it comes to any real physical activity. Match those with terrible eating habits - well, you get the idea.

Now? I haven't smoked in 25 years, I run 3-4 miles (5-6 km) per day, strength train 5 times per week and eat much better overall. My mom thinks I'm trying to live forever, but it's actually resilience that I'm after - and it's working. I can honestly say I feel better now than I did in my 30's and 40's.

Simon7000 is right: when you're ill or injured, being "spry" makes all the difference between an ER visit and a good story. It certainly came in handy today shoveling 7" of wet snow out of the driveway. :D

And Cal, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
George we could talk about a shed for a workshop.

There is an abandoned and gutted 840 sq ft. mobile home on the property that has been declared uninhabitable by the local taxing authority so it only costs me $30 per year in property taxes. The water is disconnected, the septic tank, gone, and the electricity shut off. It was used for storage during the time I was transitioning from Florida to here. It's now mostly empty except for a "few" vacuum tubes. Long term I want to put a wood shop in one end, but heating it may cost more than I would get back in use. For now I use the picnic table on the driveway.....except for days like today.

It certainly came in handy today shoveling 7" of wet snow out of the driveway.

We certainly didn't get the mess that the midwest got, but I was up at 6:30 AM shoveling about 3 inches off 110 feet of driveway. About the time I was finished the second round of snow started. I managed to stay ahead of it with a big broom, but I had to repeat when we returned from church, and again about 5PM.

There isn't enough snow to cover the lawn in our yard but a couple hundred miles northeast 213cm on north mountain.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 109
There is something worse than cold climate and snow blizzards: Air Pollution.
I don't want to pollute this thread, but couldn't help it, so I will post the readings.. it is horrible :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190117-195427.png
    Screenshot_20190117-195427.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20190117-195439.png
    Screenshot_20190117-195439.png
    250 KB · Views: 80
That pale orange dot is the sun at about 5 PM in May, 2007 during a large wildfire that burned a huge chunk of the Everglades. Since our house was only 5 blocks from the edge of the swamp, it was very smoky, stunk, and every morning I had to wash the ash off the car before I could see out the windshield.

"And the sun is just a bright spot in the night time".....

Attachments

• 05-11-07_1856.jpg
    05-11-07_1856.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 82
Cal, is it time yet to brag about having to cut the lawn, or breaking a temperature record - 10.6C on Tuesday, I think it was. When Susan and I went for our stroll that day, the golfers at Victoria Golf Club ( located on Beach Drive in south Oak Bay) were wearing shorts and short-sleeved golf shirts, and we were definitely over-layered.

Last edited: