The Weather

I had a minor case of brown bottle flu coming back from Port Angeles a few decades ago when I discovered exactly what yaw, pitch and roll meant - particularly a fun ride with all three at once.

I can't imagine being on the Coho in anything resembling rough seas. That thing will roll in a flat calm. We used to ride it several times a summer to go on training rides up Hurricane Ridge.

jeff

No BC Ferry sailings today, and the Coho’s afternoon trip cancelled as well. Ever been on that tub in a storm? I had a minor case of brown bottle flu coming back from Port Angeles a few decades ago when I discovered exactly what yaw, pitch and roll meant - particularly a fun ride with all three at once.

LOL! Reminds me of a trip across the Strait of Belle Isle, Labrador to Newfoundland, back in about 1981. 15+ foot seas, just about everyone sick, dishes falling off the galley shelves and breaking. Probably some damaged vehicles. That ferry shouldn't have sailed but we made it to shore. All others cancelled for the next 2 days.

Geeze, we on the wet coast don't have to go back any further than '96 to remember over 2ft of snow in a single day and a total accumulation of well over 4ft. While those numbers don't surpass what our friends on the eastern seaboard might be accustomed to, it was rather out of the ordinary for the banana belt that we inhabit.

30831277184_aaf11b4a45_c.jpg
31778436165_04f260aaae_c.jpg

Good times, eh Jeff? How bad was it on your side Cal?

The wind yesterday or snow from a few years back?
Both actually

Say, is it just me, or do these recent stories get your goat?
VIDEO: White Rock pier destroyed by storm, stranded man rescued – Surrey Now-Leader

BC Ferries crew rescues boater from ‘90 km/h winds, massive waves’ near Moresby Island - BC | Globalnews.ca

Sure the responding crews in each case train specifically for these scenarios, but shouldn’t the “rescuees” be required to repay at least part of the cost of saving them from their egregious and reckless stupidity, even if only by a few dozen /hundred hours of public service? One of my brothers in law is a volunteer firefighter in Surrey, and these responders risk - depending on what they find at the scene- incalculable emotional stress, if not their lives on every call.

Sorry, this is the season when we make a bit more lip service to “goodwill to all mankind” than should be practiced throughout the year, but sometimes you just wanna let these folks win the Darwin Award.

normally i would agree with you chris but...

...in 110 years no one has had to consider the wr pier was about to collapse.

i tend to blame those a little more reckless than that, such as those who ski out of bounds

the boater? not sure i don't know why they had to be out there. cant comment

goodwill to mankind? i agree, i just did the online donations to cnib, ugm, surrey food bank and plan canada, before coming here to diyaudio. there are those far more in need than those in my circle and i feel happiest giving there. sorry about the typing. i will get my right arm out of the sling in thext few days and will do way more gooder in that regard

cheers my friend

Not sure exactly where would be most appropriate thread, so I’ll just post it here - since it’ll be either be just chilly with the currently clear sky hereabouts, or another stormy evening - but Happy Solstice y’all, and Merry Christmas on Tuesday.

Sorry that I apparently missed the details, but exactly is the issue, MrDubya, surgery required? So soon you’ll be able to be best again?

Last edited:
For the past week or so the weather has been either dreary, windy or both with temps around or below freezing......

Yesterday I awoke to a clear blue sky and 36 degrees F (+2C) that can mean it's TABLE SAW WEATHER!!!!! I dragged my jobsite table saw out to the driveway gathered up some scrap pine wood and attempted to knock together a temporary computer chassis......but yuck this wood must be junk because these cuts are UGLY. So I dig through my collection and find an off cut piece of oak that looks OK for the job. It looks better, but still not right. I put on two pair of glasses and figure out the problem. My 10 year old saw still wears the blade that came with it when I bought it. The last job I did was cutting up a bunch of aluminum.....the blade is DEAD.

This morning I hit the gym at 6:30, and was at Lowes by 7:45. A $24 two pack of cheap blades later, I'm on my way home. The weather is still reasonable, overcast and about 37 degrees (3 C), minimal wind, so I drag the saw out and proceed to change the blade.....Or so I thought. After 10 years of living in a garage or shed mostly in Florida, the blade and the nut have become one with the motor shaft. I try hot, cold, fire, hammer, WD-40, lighting the WD-40 on fire, and all of the above at the same time for about an hour, and gave up. I retired to the refrigerator for some Christmas leftovers, then fell asleep in the chair.....about an hour later the nut came loose without much fuss and the blade came off with one hammer whack. It's not flat any more, but junk anyway, so....

I'm back in business again and cutting oak far better than I can remember with that saw......maybe I'll get a good blade and keep the $12 blade for the next time I cut aluminum......I passed on the good stuff at Lowes because they are almost $20 cheaper on Amazon.

I cut up a bunch of stuff until the wind had filled my hair and clothes with sawdust, darkness was approaching, and then the rain came. It will rain all day tomorrow, so its time for the other purchase at Lowes, replacing my dead garage door opener.