The Weather

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scott I had to laugh.. Yeah, none of us live in Siberia, although those in the Dakotas and Minnesota may want to argue the facts. (I imagine those nearby Canadian provinces too.)

We're expecting 90km/h + winds tomorrow at the height of the storm and are predicted to get 30 - 45cm of snow in under 12 hours. All this about 2km south of the Boston city line. I live about 400 meters from the sea and roughly 5 meters above mean high tide.

Both my wife and I get the day off which we will spend doing various household projects as long as the power stays on - I plan to work a line stage project for a client as well, and periodically spend some time outside cursing the weather while driving the snow blower around the sidewalks and driveway.

This is a very exclusive thread it seems, purely for Canadians and Northern United Statesians
where are the Scandinavians and Russians? I look in from time to time just to cheer myself up. How do you cope?
Those guys use lots of Vodka to get them through the winter. You will hear back from them later in Spring, when they've sobered up.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.

Hi. I use WunderMap, American site I think, have you come across it? It's quite amazing, accesses small automated weather stations, there's one 50 metres from my house. The northeast USA and Canada seems pretty cold at the moment to me but I guess that's normal then? I read a book by Gerald Seymour a short time ago where a Soviet agent is on a mission in the US during the winter and struggles with the cold! I think we don't realise here quite how cold your winters can be.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I guess that's normal

Low side of normal. The last week we've had strong wind down from northern Hudson Bay, so all of east Canada and large parts of the northeast US are frozen.

My post above shows recent weather and historical weather in my area. 11 Mar was record-setting in many towns around here.

Did have a couple hours of 42F (5C) this afternoon.... in sun! Probably just-over freezing real temperature.

But now there is a clump of moisture in the Carolinas, which is likely to come up the coast into the cold air mass. Classic "Nor'easter". Wind and deep snow.

Cal, there are more reasons to hate me than you've yet discovered, but bragging about the weather in your own erstwhile playground should be at the bottom of that 2 page list

Yup, still nice here. Humpback whale watching this morning; kinda puts much of what we puny humans do - and complain about - in a longer range perspective.

Waxing philosophical again, Chris - time for another beverage and to walk away from the keyboard

This is a very exclusive thread it seems, purely for Canadians and Northern United Statesians
where are the Scandinavians and Russians? I look in from time to time just to cheer myself up. How do you cope?
I think we dropped off during the boiler discussions. It's kinda non-relevant around here.

On 1.1 this year, new installation of fixed propane heating were outlawed. Fresh installation of oil-fired boilers were forbidden in 2010 and the schedule is that the use of oil-fired boilers will be forbidden in 2020.

You will still be able to use oil-fired stuff for certain stuff, for instance to handle peak loads.

Johan-Kr

Our TV promised 3 or 4 hours of rain followed by 12 hours of continuous snow beginning last night, and some intermittent snow for another several hours late tonight and into tomorrow. 2 to 6 inches total accumulation, depending on who you listened to.

In the 3 years I have lived here I have come to realize that when a wet storm system comes up from the south and meets a snow storm coming from the Midwest, all forecasts are random guesses. This was the case here.

This morning I got up and was greeted by a green, dry front yard, and no ice on the car windows despite being 29 degrees......missed us completely, we were in the 100 mile wide dry zone between the two fronts which seemed to collide over western Pennsylvania and drop its mess along the east coast of the US. We have had a few flurries of dry snow, zero accumulation.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> We have 7" of snow

That is a LOT for most of NJ. I know Rutgers U called the day off, and they almost never do that.

8 hours later, 500 miles downeast, we have 5" on the ground and another 9" booked for delivery in the next 4 hours. Which is just about the 14" predicted a couple days back. Few cars on the road, and I hope they don't get crazy and slide into power poles. Many Mainers will be plowed-out by morning, and it will mostly be just another day. I'm slow, but I want to get a UPS truck in here tomorrow afternoon.

I think we dropped off during the boiler discussions. It's kinda non-relevant around here.

On 1.1 this year, new installation of fixed propane heating were outlawed. Fresh installation of oil-fired boilers were forbidden in 2010 and the schedule is that the use of oil-fired boilers will be forbidden in 2020.

You will still be able to use oil-fired stuff for certain stuff, for instance to handle peak loads.

Johan-Kr

That was my post that started the boiler discussion. Mine is natural gas fired, but still a steam boiler. Not perfect, but better than oil. So join in.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> 5" on the ground and another 9" booked

It's not snowing-- raining. We came to around 9" total of fluff. Now 1/2" of rain on top, temp going up from 31.5 to to 37F, this will be a mess. Not enough liquid to melt the snow, plenty to make the slop heavy. HIGH winds will moderate after midnight.