• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The ultimate OTL6080

Did you use a step drill for those holes? They look rather clean for a stepdrill so you have me wondering

Thanks Gideon ! ;)

For the biggest on chassis top, I used a bell saw or hole saw (scie cloche in French) :

61fosguYv5L._AC_SX522_.jpg

For the others, I used a GreenLee punch tool :

images

A+!

that explains the clean holes, I used one of those step drills and well... it needed some filework afterwards to clean it up. That is going to be a nice pair when you slap some paint on them :)

Well, yes : that's my problem... I am completely unable and untooled to acheive a good paint job. :eek:

All my attempts in the past where nightmares ! :mad::mad::mad: I mean : doing a durable, abuse-resistant and nice paint job.:confused:

So the chassis will stay with the top engine-turned as done and the sides unfinished aluminium as is. It's not the nicest :(, but it won't deteriorate over time. :cool:

Sure, a Dark Candy Green Metallic (for example) would have been premium :rolleyes:, but it's out of my reach. :p

A+!

Oh I thought you were going to paint the sides black or something, but the industrial look is nice too :)

Thanks @gideon1990 ! ;)

Well yes, good idea, indeed. But I'm reluctant to go the painting way for fear of being disappointed again and again... :(

That said, I'll try some polishing, brushing or fine sanding in the bottom of the cover to see how it looks. Engine Turning is another possibility of course, but I think it would look "Too Much"...

The inside layout takes shape, step by step...

l4gRJb-P1100229.jpg

A+!

Work is on progress : testing the PA HV filtering module :

3xORJb-P1100236.jpg

With 10VDC dual-rectified (diode bridge) and an input ripple of 106mVAC TRMS, the module leaves less than 1mVAC TRMS output ripple at no load. That is to say a ripple attenuation of circa 100.

With the dual chokes shorted, still with 10V and 106mV input ripple, the output ripple reaches 53mV unloaded. That is to say a ripple attenuation of only 2.

Verdict : despite their small size (2x6V 4.2VA) and low DCR (1R per winding), these dual chokes proves to be efficient, due to phase cancellation wiring.

A+!