The SIT-3X Amplifier

Rush pointed out in an Email message that I posted the wrong schematic in #739, in which eliminated the cascode transistors for J1 and J2.
Here is the schematic that I intended to post.

Attachments

• SIT3X-FCFE-QKQKMS-invin-1-XXX.asc.jpg
    SIT3X-FCFE-QKQKMS-invin-1-XXX.asc.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 682
I managed to finish the Balanced version for FCFE.
It works perfectly with divine music!
And very happy that now I have no noise in the speakers, it's completely quiet. With the RCA version I had a little noise.
I still have to work on some adjustments and tests:)

Attachments

• 20210519_140349_resized-1.jpg
    20210519_140349_resized-1.jpg
    905.3 KB · Views: 522
  • 20210519_140416_resized.jpg
    20210519_140416_resized.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 516
I managed to finish the Balanced version for FCFE.
It works perfectly with divine music!
And very happy that now I have no noise in the speakers, it's completely quiet. With the RCA version I had a little noise.
I still have to work on some adjustments and tests:)

Wow, I am impressed. I didn't expect the untested balanced FCFE to work well without some tweaks, I guess I need to generate a PCB layout for it.

I had some problems with the drift of tensions, but after Lynn gave me some suggestions, now everything is perfect.
I put a small copper plate between the JFET and fixed it tightly with a small pliers (red piece)
Now all tensions are "dead", not changing by a hundred.
The sound is gorgeous! And once again I want to say - there is total silence in the speakers, I don't even know if the amp is on or not.
Lynn, thank you so much for this amp and for all your help!
I am going to assemble everything in a beautiful case.

Attachments

• 20210602_154759_resized_1.jpg
    20210602_154759_resized_1.jpg
    786.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 20210602_154931_resized.jpg
    20210602_154931_resized.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 338
I am working on a simplified and lower power variant of the SIT3X using cascoded LU1014D JFETs. There are the goals:

• 25W into 8R class-A
  • The DIYAudio Universal Mounting Spec format board, not longer than 250mm.
  • Heatsink power dissipation not greater than 80W per channel.

I am trying to simplify the folded cascode front end (FCFE) and replace the Toshiba 2SK1013 and 2SJ313 FETs with parts that are more obtainable. The problem with using the Fairchild FQP3N30 and FQP3P20 is their threshold voltages are higher than those of the Toshiba parts, requiring higher rail voltages for the FCFE circuit.

I found some FETs that might work, but they have SMD packages, which might be ok. I think I can reduce their power dissipation to under 1 Watt.

Does anyone know about FETs from PANJIT?

The only other option is to use BJTs (bipolar junction transistors) instead of FETs for the FCFE output buffer.

I don't know about PANJIT Semiconductor. Those FETs look like they were intended for a fairly different use. May or may not be suitable for high end audio. They have low threshold voltages, what are sometimes called "logic level." Capacitances and total gate charge are also pretty low.

I don't have a problem soldering SOT-23 packages, but these usually have pretty low power dissipation. A better package to look for would be the SOT-223. I have used devices in this package for higher power dissipation in the past, and they work well.

Thanks for the suggestions. The power ratings on all of those small FETs appear to be too low.
Another option that I will investigate is the bootstrap trick used in the FirstWatt F4 to boost the voltage range to the FET gates. That would allow the use of the higher Vgs Fairchild FETs.

The LuX 25 Amplifier

I finally have a design using the LU1014D JFETs which behaves much like my SIT3X which the Tokin 2SJ182ES SITs, but at a lower power level. Here are to major properties:

25 Watts Class-A.
X-pot to achieve current source behavior of PFET at low power levels.
One DIYAudio Universal Mounting Spec. compatible PCB per channel.
+/-24V output stage power rails.
Two small +/-10V power modules to boost the voltage for the folded cascode front end to about +/-31V.
Power dissipation of about 75W-80W per channel.

It required many design iterations over a 4-day period to obtain a satisfactory PCB layout within my allotted board area, but I am fairly satisfied with the result. It still has a lot of parts, but the overall packaging is much simpler than the SIT3X.

I have not yet built this design.

Attachments

• LuX-FQP-Xpot-1a4-XXX.asc.jpg
    LuX-FQP-Xpot-1a4-XXX.asc.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 453
  • Lux-0.2-UMS-1a9.pcb.jpg
    Lux-0.2-UMS-1a9.pcb.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 433