The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Today I set up another shunt (BiB Clone) that is known for stability and I get the same measurements, so I rest assured it is due to my measurement setup.

Sense and force wires are 5cm long each and not torsioned together.

BTW, both measured shunts have allready been tested powering sensitive amps (Folded) and they both sound perfect..... V12R as a much larger soundtsge presentation and the highs are sublime.

BiB has a somehow nicer bass with more presence :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here you have the layout for the V12R

Any comments will be appreciated.

@ Salas

Can I replace IRFP9240 by the smaller and faster IRF9530 ?

Attachments

• V12R.png
    V12R.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 251
RC, a suggestion that may/not suit your design method

If you exchange positions of the big C3 with the R13s and shorten the long track by running it around the back of the Q5 heatsink pins, this will allow mire freedom to move the C2 out of the way and shift that Q6 closer to Q5

A bit more over-the-top maybe - add a simply CMx to the input if stretching the pcb is okay - a total package, if you get what I mean.

Another not so easy one - separate the heatsinks a bit more and fit the 'force +/G' terminals there - they don't have to be grouped with the sense terminal at all - will probably need to move the input power terminals too, for shorter Ground tracking

Could move the sense terminals lower to reduce tracking from 'sense G' to Q10 and the 'sense +' to Q8 maybe too ..

my Sunday 2 cents ....

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Can not move C2 away from Q5. In fact it is already too far away.

This cap is fundamental to avoid oscilations and it should sit on top of Q5.

I will try to move Sense connector to a lower position.

Yesterday "late night" I decided to remove C2 and got steady oscilations around 5Mhz.

Then I connected a 10u film instead and the oscilations reduced in amplitude just slightly.

Sorry, what about shifting it to underneath and have it lay on it's side - this will allow almost direct pin connection to Q5 and also allow you to change the connection between Q6 and Q5, via R7, etc - makes use of both sides of the board and normal pcb standoffs are about same height

Or move it to the backside of the heatsink, right between the fins of the heatsink itself, and maybe use a transistor clip instead of the usual bolt/nut for fastening the Q5 to the haetsink to assist assembly

A bit 'outside the square', I know ...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Layout version 4

BTW: I was experimenting with different output caps while the shunt was working.... connected a 10u film to the output and there was a small spark.... now the shunt does not regulate... I have 0.2v at Q7 base instead of the usual 0.7v.... any hint on what was burned ?

Attachments

• V12R ver4.png
    V12R ver4.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 211
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Good news.....

I have another V12R build working and just replaced the 47u EL by a 10u film on the output (without zobel resistor) and it works.... it does regulate and I can not see steady strong oscilations as I saw yesterday with just the 4u7 film and 0.25ohm resistor in series.

So I believe it can be done with only one film cap in the output.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good news.....

I have another V12R build working and just replaced the 47u EL by a 10u film on the output (without zobel resistor) and it works.... it does regulate and I can not see steady strong oscilations as I saw yesterday with just the 4u7 film and 0.25ohm resistor in series.

So I believe it can be done with only one film cap in the output.
"I would not use R13 at all if not using C2" ;) #6821

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BTW: I was experimenting with different output caps while the shunt was working.... connected a 10u film to the output and there was a small spark.... now the shunt does not regulate... I have 0.2v at Q7 base instead of the usual 0.7v.... any hint on what was burned ?

The error amp BJT and possibly its nested JFET can be hit when a "live" mod mishandling happens especially when over 25V output level.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why do you use R13 when using both C2 47u AND C3 4.7u ?

Thank you so much..... you made it simple for me to recover this one :)

The OLG phase margin gets different with the 47u and then the R13 is helpful in tailing off the curve better. If using a film only, better alone. Closer to danger zone but it can work on some loads (like yours). Oscilloscope is your friend in particular layouts, loads, and decisions. As always.

Troubleshooting woes

Hi Salas, I've been reading this thread for sometime and decided to build four Salas shunt regulators based on version V1.2R.

Only one of the four regulators is working. I have two +38Vdc in +24Vdc out regulators and two -38Vdc in -24Vdc out regulators.

I have them all connected to 1Kohm dummy loads for testing. Below is a summary fo what each reg is doing:
  • Reg 1 (+):
  • working perfectly :)
  • Reg 2 (+):
  • LED is on and output is +37.8V but altering the variable resistor R112 does nothing to the output it remains at +37.8V.​
  • Reg 3 (-):
  • LED is on and output is -10.7V but altering the variable resistor R212 does nothing to the output it remains at -10.7V.​
  • Reg 4 (-):
  • LED is on and output is -10.7V but altering the variable resistor R212 does nothing to the output it remains at -10.7V.​

Have you had similar problems when building? is there any indication to which part of the circuit is causing the above. I have checked solder joints and component orientation as well as replacing specific components like the LSK170 and 2N5457 in case I static fried them but had no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dom

Attachments

• SSR-SCH.jpg
    SSR-SCH.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 235
  • SSR-BRD.jpg
    SSR-BRD.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 245
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would check the working one's everything Vbe and Vgs against its analogous non working one to troubleshoot. Also add the zener + resistor starter. Maybe just a kickstart issue. Why C102 103 202 203 are 4.7uF instead of 47uF BTW? Just a schematic designation error?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.