"The Puget Sound!" DIY Speaker Contest for 2014

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A lot of work put into the speaker projects, collectively.

Our club has been very fortunate to have access to this space. A big central area for regular meetings, with 3 or 4 separate rooms to the sides for independent setups, and a storage room for equipment and chairs, etc.

The local library branch is going to use the space temporarily (a year?) while it undergoes remodeling. In the meantime, we'll be moving our meetings to a different place. It will take some adjustment, but hopefully it will be good also.

Thanks to Dave, Terry and others for all the hard work, pictures, etc. I hope you find the right place and if it's closer to Canada that would also be good!!

Bob

Where can I get more info on Rene' Jaeger TWW build?

I can give you the information that Rene provided on his entry form. Rene's speaker was his own two-way design.The cost was approximately $150 for the parts which were Peerless 6.5 inch woofers (no model # given) and a Dayton RT-2 tweeter. The crossover is 1st order Low-Pass and 2nd order High-Pass crossed over at 2500Hz. The speaker cabinet is Resistively Loaded.

Hope this helps,
TerryO

contest

My experience with the price-for-the-internal components part of the registration process has been that Terry O would tell me to estimate what we actually paid for the parts-which is not always what it would cost another to purchase the parts. Maybe this criteria should be modified? As Dave D. pointed out, the FF85wken pair would cost $170 retail. If I was being most reasonable about what I paid for the ff85 pair, I would at least count the price of the raffle tickets that went towards their acquisition! I am not sure what the best way to specify cost would be if parts are acquired by non-retail methods. The tweeters in my 3-ways cost very little at a garage sale-I remember it being a dollar or so-it has been a number of years. The woofers were retail, and so were the crossover parts. Maybe it should be a greater part of the individual's preparation procedure to account for costs accurately, prior to arriving at the contest.

This conversation reminds me of the way my speakers came about-not by being planned and conceived as a design by simulation(or inspiration), but by having the ff85's come into my possession by good fortune in the Planet 10 DIYFEST 2013 raffle; talking to Dave D about design; having Dave R. come up with a number of iterations of 2-way series crossover schemes-while the drivers were in old R-Shack boxes; then adding a tweeter in parallel; and finally building new boxes with old JBL PR 10 passives. The process took a year-and lots of staring at odd assemblages of drivers in boxes and thinking about what could be done with them.

I will say that building solid boxes with lots of internal nooks and crannies, providing odd/varied ways for the sound to bounce around and be absorbed by cotton padding contributed a lot to the solid bass. Dave D explained to me the concept for the tapering, open terminus mid-range enclosure just before I implemented it. The relatively large PR on the back was inspired by something similar on the Vanatoo compact active speaker, and was done at the last minute-as were the (almost) finished cabinets.

Thanks to Terry Olsen for coming up with the design for the contest, some undisclosed number of years past, and the great part he played in organizing it this year.

Thanks to the PNWAS club for hosting the contest.
Thanks to all the judges for using their special abilities, not the least of which must be perseverance and patience, to evaluate the entries-it has to be a bit tedious to hear the same clips over and over.
Thanks to Gary Gesellchen of Vanatoo fame for his service in measuring the response of each participant's entry, that so desired to have them measured.

My personal thanks for the work and guidance I received from Dave R with the crossovers on my 3way entry. Passive crossovers may have compromises, but knowing which choices to make, makes all the difference.

Yes, I too wonder how the value of the items can be more regulated. I have also won at raffles and through second hand stores and it is a thrill to be able to come up with strong candidates for a prize at an astonishingly low price. But... when another person could make the same speaker by paying retail therefore removing them from a lower price category, that doesn't seem fair.

Conversely, should you be rewarded for that ability to find items at a lower price or take advantage of your luck by winning drivers?

Dunno.

Yes, I too wonder how the value of the items can be more regulated. I have also won at raffles and through second hand stores and it is a thrill to be able to come up with strong candidates for a prize at an astonishingly low price. But... when another person could make the same speaker by paying retail therefore removing them from a lower price category, that doesn't seem fair.

Conversely, should you be rewarded for that ability to find items at a lower price or take advantage of your luck by winning drivers?

Dunno.

I'm posting to address not only Howard's previous post, but Cal's as well.
In the rules, posted each time we hold this Contest, it states:

Original Designs:

The breakdown is as follows:

One way ----under $75/over $75
Two way ----under $200/over $200
Three way -- under $300/over $300
Unlimited ---- no limit

NOTE: This is for drivers and crossover parts only; cabinet material and finish are not included. We again rely on the contestants' integrity. Your uncle who owns the HiFi Emporium cannot give you a special deal that isn't or hasn't been available to the general public. Nuff Said!

Of course, if a question presents itself, probably the easiest thing to do would be to just contact me. I might add that in the past I've entered speakers that had drivers that had been given me and I've always listed the going price for them as if I had gone out and purchased them like anyone else would have.

I hope this helps,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.